Trump The Divider

Tiberius

I guess this can go here just as well as in any of the other threads on the fake news du juor.

Why Do People Fall For Fake News

The main camps are divided between motivated reasoning vs. intellectual laziness.  This cited study seems to highlight what might be going on here (and with buzzfeed).

The implications here are profound: Reasoning can exacerbate the problem, not provide the solution, when it comes to partisan disputes over facts. Further evidence cited in support of this of argument comes from a 2010 study by the political scientists Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler, who found that appending corrections to misleading claims in news articles can sometimes backfire: Not only did corrections fail to reduce misperceptions, but they also sometimes increased them. It seemed as if people who were ideologically inclined to believe a given falsehood worked so hard to come up with reasons that the correction was wrong that they came to believe the falsehood even more strongly.

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Full fake news press by Hotair, Daileycaller and the rest of the East German style media. Where is Baghdad Bob when we need him?? Lol 

Yeah. Reason. Real right wing rag there. 

You're clinging to a debunked narrative. You'd gain a lot more respect than you currently have if you (for once) formed your own opinion based on evidence rather than partisan talking points. 

20 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Tibs didn't get the memo

Everyone else is deleting their comments (like cowards). Tibs is the Buzzfeed of PPP, doubling down on a debunked story because his feelz and ego won't allow him to admit he rushed to judgment. 

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yeah. Reason. Real right wing rag there. 

You're clinging to a debunked narrative. You'd gain a lot more respect than you currently have if you (for once) formed your own opinion based on evidence rather than partisan talking points. 

I heard somewhere that Phillips claimed he was trying to get between the kids and Black Israelites in order to diffuse the situation. He speak with forked tongue.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The comments from the people still trying to justify their hatred for the kids is amazing.

Most refuse to watch the whole video, saying they don't need to see the whole thing to know they're right.

Other's try to launch "what-if" scenarios on how the kids would have acted if not "restrained" by all the media coverage.

Pathetic.

And no one is mentioning why an ADULT would go up to a TEENAGER and beat a drum in his Face. That can be considered assaulting a minor.

I have come to realize it's an "us v. them" world. Doesn't mean it's a fight for survival, or that revolutionaries will be kicking in my front door...but the folks looking to push this ridiculous issue offer nothing of value to me.

I am considering a handgun purchase for the first time in my life. This kid with the dopey kid grin staring at this experienced, calculating activist showed restraint not all that common at his age.  For that, death threats. 

The coverage is disgraceful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I have come to realize it's an "us v. them" world. Doesn't mean it's a fight for survival, or that revolutionaries will be kicking in my front door...but the folks looking to push this ridiculous issue offer nothing of value to me.

I am considering a handgun purchase for the first time in my life. This kid with the dopey kid grin staring at this experienced, calculating activist showed restraint not all that common at his age.  For that, death threats. 

The coverage is disgraceful. 

Go for a carbine. Handguns are scatter shot after 30 meters in terms of accuracy. Handguns are very hard to be accurate with. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Go for a carbine. Handguns are scatter shot after 30 meters in terms of accuracy. Handguns are very hard to be accurate with. 

One of my main concerns is shooting myself in the thigh while cleaning or handling the damn thing. "Carbine" sounds like I'm unlikely to survive when I accidentally push the junk mail into the teapot into the carbine which falls on the floor and the ensuing gun fire separates my right leg from my body. 

I'm not an anti-gun guy, but was always in the not-for-me camp. 

I do own a machete though, and have yet to put my eye out. I'm getting there. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Thats definitley incorrect. 

Most likely you never served based based on your statement. 

A very small mall portion of the military is designed to fight. Most people who went to Nam never pulled a trigger because they served in support roles; mechanics, cooks, logistics, and so on. Many people who went to Nam never went into the jungle. 

As an Iraq vet I’ll say this is doubly true of Iraq. We called these people “pogs” or “fobbits.” They are disgusting creatures who will ALWAYS let you know they were deployed but they didn’t do fight club things while there. 

You are definitely incorrect.

I understand not all that are in a theater are carrying a rifle and seeing combat.

I did serve in the USMC.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

Thanks for your service.

5 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

You're beating the wrong drum. While our veterans, and especially war zone veterans, deserve our respect for their time "in country" they do not get a pass for acting like a petulant child to further an agenda that they can't even convey.

Did I say they did?  Please quote me if I did.  I usually "beat" my Yamaha drum kit,.  I has a lot of drums :).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

One of my main concerns is shooting myself in the thigh while cleaning or handling the damn thing. "Carbine" sounds like I'm unlikely to survive when I accidentally push the junk mail into the teapot into the carbine which falls on the floor and the ensuing gun fire separates my right leg from my body. 

I'm not an anti-gun guy, but was always in the not-for-me camp. 

I do own a machete though, and have yet to put my eye out. I'm getting there. 

Honestly, it just takes experience. I stick to AR platforms because I can literally disassemble and reassemble one blindfolded. 

Shooting yourself while cleaning can happen, especially with Glocks. But I have a rule — I unload all guns before entering my home. Just like I did in Iraq. When you get back to the base you clear your gun in a clearing pit. I do the same thing today. 

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I understand not all that are in a theater are carrying a rifle and seeing combat.

I did serve in the USMC.

Thanks for your service.

Im definitley right. 

The USMC is very small and VERY different from the normal military. For example, a marine mechanic engaging the enemy isn’t extraordinary, however his army counterpart is. 

I love the Marines. I think all branches should emulate the Marine mantra that everybody’s a rifleman first. The Marines HAVE to do that because they’re so small numerically. 

In the army, unless you’re a combat guy, you’re really not in any danger. There are of course many exceptions to that, ie the commo guy serving in an infantry company and so on. 

3 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Honestly, it just takes experience. I stick to AR platforms because I can literally disassemble and reassemble one blindfolded. 

Shooting yourself while cleaning can happen, especially with Glocks. But I have a rule — I unload all guns before entering my home. Just like I did in Iraq. When you get back to the base you clear your gun in a clearing pit. I do the same thing today. 

Im definitley right. 

The USMC is very small and VERY different from the normal military. For example, a marine mechanic engaging the enemy isn’t extraordinary, however his army counterpart is. 

I love the Marines. I think all branches should emulate the Marine mantra that everybody’s a rifleman first. The Marines HAVE to do that because they’re so small numerically. 

In the army, unless you’re a combat guy, you’re really not in any danger. There are of course many exceptions to that, ie the commo guy serving in an infantry company and so on. 

I'm definitely right.  I hear what you're saying, but most of the guys in Viet Nam either HAD to go or were going to jail or had to run off to Canada or something.  I think that makes it a little different than Iraq and Operation Enduring Freedom or whatever that was in 1991.  Afganistan ain't no picnic either.

Edited by reddogblitz

ASS-COVERING WELL UNDERWAY: Journalists and Celebs Rush to Delete Tweets Slamming MAGA-Hat Kids.

New York Times opinion writer Kara Swisher, for instance, deleted one tweet saying she was thinking of “finding every one of these ***** kids and giving them a very large piece of my mind,” and other tweets throwing slurs like “Nazi” and “nationalist.” ABC chief political correspondent Scott Thurman deleted a tweet alleging students in MAGA hats were “mocking” and “taunting” a Native American in front of the Lincoln Memorial in D.C., asking in a new tweet if the new video changed minds about the kids.

Anti-Trump activist Ed Krassenstein deleted a neutral tweet contemplating the intentions of Nick Sandmann, the young MAGA student accused of smirking at a Native American. His brother, Brian Krassenstein, deleted a tweet calling the students “bigoted.” The New Republic‘s Jeet Heer deleted a tweet arguing the MAGA hat-wearing teens were “racist.” CNN’s Bakari Sellers deleted a tweet suggesting the kids should be “punched in the face.”

You’d like to think that people learned a lesson here, but I’m no longer that optimistic. The teens showed a lot more control in the face of actual provocation than these allegedly sensible and responsible media adults showed in the face of a bogus news report.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-21-at-11.59.54-AM.png

Now, why oh WHY would he do that?! Nathan Phillips’ Covington story keeps changing from outlet to outlet

As they say, punch back twice as hard.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-21-at-11.43.33-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2019-01-21-at-11.40.12-AM.png..What,  CNN is backtracking ?

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I did serve in the USMC.

Thanks for your service.

Did I say they did?  Please quote me if I did.  I usually "beat" my Yamaha drum kit,.  I has a lot of drums :).

Phillips doesn't deserve respect just because he was in the service. I know a lot of people that I was in the service with that didn't deserve any either. Phillips started out to have a confrontation with the kids. They in turn used the ultimate in self control to resist any confrontation. Phillips not only wanted a confrontation but lied about it afterwards. The video proves that.

45 minutes ago, Foxx said:

This man got money to be a Damian Marley video ? 

Not digging the song.     The Damian Marley/Nas album was pretty hot though 

Anyone from the news gonna call out the racist “black Israelites” ?      Yelling at kids is what they do ? 

Edited by Teddy KGB

2 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Your issue with them is that they’re white. 

No, just that they are punks. 

Pro-Life, lol. That's really the funny part. Pretending to care about something. Do they care that children are being separated at the boarder? 

Do they care that people are being pro-life by running away from dangerous situations and seeking asylum? Wouldn't that be pro-life, you know, saving lives?