Trump The Divider

Tiberius

30 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I can't see how Rome isn't #1 on any list. They made western civilization. They did what Alexander didn't before he died -- they freaking united the Mediterranean. 

I will take the view, and it's okay you have your view, that Athens and Jerusalem were more instrumental in the good that we have

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

alexandria_ocasio-cortez_0.jpg?153428272

Goddamnit 

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I will take the view, and it's okay you have your view, that Athens and Jerusalem were more instrumental in the good that we have

I’m interested in your take on Athens because they really fell from influence after the peloponnesian war. Further, I’m equally interested in your take on Jerusalem. No doubt it was important, but both your cities fell to Rome. 

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Goddamnit 

I’m interested in your take on Athens because they really fell from influence after the peloponnesian war. Further, I’m equally interested in your take on Jerusalem. No doubt it was important, but both your cities fell to Rome. 

i'd posit that Plato and Aristotle formed a good chunk of what it means to pursue the good life

have read through both multiple times, and there's a lot of good there (and a lot of cringing silliness)

the dialogue with Socrates trying to talk to the two jackass sophists is a low point in history, it's like the prequel to Stepbrothers with Will Ferrell, the Euthydemes.....

do i honestly have to continue with telling you why Athens and Jerusalem are important?????

Edited by row_33

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A Julian calendar will not fully assure a planter of crops when the last frost of spring or first frost of autumn will occur.  Crops were cultivated largely in a manner of by trial.  That some crops were attempted and did not succeed during the warm period before the cold period so efforts were discontinued on that crop.  Some spring (after the winter cold) crops such as oats, barley, and peas will take snow after emerging from the ground therefore they were prominent in Northern Europe.  Winter wheat will take the interim between warm seasons with sufficient snow cover to insulate from the cold that we are seeing currently in WNY.  The bottom line is while the Julian calendar came up with effective subdivisions the ancients still used solar days in a manner of speaking.  That in a given region 100 solar days (rising and setting of the sun) would be the interim where crops would either not grow or go dormant (winter wheat).

Of course not, nothing will fully assure anything. But life is a game of inches, and a tool to help ensure you don't starve to death is pretty important. 

I agree about the crops in winter and winter wheat, just like grass, can survive winter of course, but in the three crop system you had two harvests, and as the population grew, you needed them! One summer, one winter. By around 1300 the population of Europe was becoming too big to suffer any food shortages and in 1315 there was a huge famine because of crop failures. It was very important to get the timing of the crops right. 

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

"We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic High School students towards Nathan Phillips specifically, and Native Americans in general," a joint statement from Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School said. "We extend our deepest apologies to Mr. Phillips."

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i'd posit that Plato and Aristotle formed a good chunk of what it means to pursue the good life

have read through both multiple times, and there's a lot of good there (and a lot of cringing silliness)

the dialogue with Socrates trying to talk to the two jackass sophists is a low point in history, it's like the prequel to Stepbrothers with Will Ferrell

do i honestly have to continue with telling you why Athens and Jerusalem are important?????

Its your reasons for why they’re more important/significant to Rome whom I view as mother to western civilization and the white race. That’s what I find interesting. Not why those cities are important. 

11 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Its your reasons for why they’re more important/significant to Rome whom I view as mother to western civilization and the white race. That’s what I find interesting. Not why those cities are important. 

Not a big fan of Rome, not much there to emulate for me.

More of a Geneva type thinker...

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

You should stop posting here.    Your posts are sad and juvenile and bring nothing to the table.       Yes I’m factoring in your last 10 posts.        Maybe night school can help ?  

Gonna apologize for being stupid again ? 

You’re never gonna get out of that laundromat if you keep getting fooled by fake news 

White people are bad.      Front page stuff. 

Right next to the tranny/Muslim bin ?

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to reply! 

19 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

you find someone who can talk to you and this is what you do to them?

okay, that door is closing....

14 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Of course not, nothing will fully assure anything. But life is a game of inches, and a tool to help ensure you don't starve to death is pretty important. 

I agree about the crops in winter and winter wheat, just like grass, can survive winter of course, but in the three crop system you had two harvests, and as the population grew, you needed them! One summer, one winter. By around 1300 the population of Europe was becoming too big to suffer any food shortages and in 1315 there was a huge famine because of crop failures. It was very important to get the timing of the crops right. 

Please stop historying. You’re unqualified and awful at it. 

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not a big fan of Rome, not much there to emulate for me.

More of a Geneva type thinker...

Well the Romans weren’t philosophers if that’s your game. 

But Roman military thinking — that’s the stuff of legends. 

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The Julian Calendar is not fool proof by any means.  A major reason a number of countries including the US use government subsidized crop insurance.  You can still have a frost inside the federally recognized window for a given crop for a given region in terms of growing season.  When everybody kicks in via being a taxpayer the cost of food production becomes minimal per household.  The volatility that would result without it would result in much higher prices in a poor crop year for a given commodity.  American consumers in recent generations pay on average ten percent of their earnings on food.  Contrast that with lesser European nations along with other parts of the world where paying a third of your income to eat is considered normal.  Some despise government intervention such as subsidized crop insurance but it does allow us to type away on a site such as this with minimal concern as to food budget.  The alternative being if wheat were short in supply with the price of bread rising over 50 percent then people gather up arms to fight one another.

Just now, The_Dude said:

Please stop historying. You’re unqualified and awful at it. 

You are an ignorant racist. You are trying to make yourself look like a winner by associating yourself with the success of European society, something you had nothing to do with. Heck, ignorant Jack asses like you are the types that held society back, you would of been first in line burning books at the bonfire of the vanities and calling for Galileo to be arrested. 

Just now, RochesterRob said:

The Julian Calendar is not fool proof by any means.  A major reason a number of countries including the US use government subsidized crop insurance.  You can still have a frost inside the federally recognized window for a given crop for a given region in terms of growing season.  When everybody kicks in via being a taxpayer the cost of food production becomes minimal per household.  The volatility that would result without it would result in much higher prices in a poor crop year for a given commodity.  American consumers in recent generations pay on average ten percent of their earnings on food.  Contrast that with lesser European nations along with other parts of the world where paying a third of your income to eat is considered normal.  Some despise government intervention such as subsidized crop insurance but it does allow us to type away on a site such as this with minimal concern as to food budget.  The alternative being if wheat were short in supply with the price of bread rising over 50 percent then people gather up arms to fight one another.

You actually think an accurate calender is of little importance? 

18 minutes ago, Swill Merchant said:

The left is immoral and inhumane. They have no regard for the truth and wilfully destroy the innocent to advance their propaganda.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/42418/walsh-4-lessons-we-can-learn-despicable-smear-matt-walsh

Amen to this, but of course I have zero expectation that this trend will change for the better anytime soon.

1) Your social media hot take can wait for a day or two.

We all seem to be under the impression that the world will stop rotating on its axis if we don't immediately offer our two cents on every event, the moment it occurs. Many otherwise intelligent people have made fools of themselves (myself included) because they felt the need to voice an opinion on an issue as soon as it came to their attention. But there really isn't much good that can come of an opinion dashed off and posted to the internet on the fly. Especially when you're simply adding to a chorus of people who have already expressed that exact point of view. Even if you're right, your perspective is redundant and useless. If you're wrong, you've just contributed to mass hysteria. So, why not wait? Everyone can survive without your opinion for a few hours while you let the facts come in. There is no downside to taking your time. There is enormous downside to jumping the gun.

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

All this talk about history so Tibs can avoid admitting his initial reaction about this story was wrong, wrong, wrong. 

Sad. 

And all the condemnations from Catholics schools, GOP politicians and people all across the political spectrum were wrong too, I suppose. Lol, the right wing echo chamber sure has its own reality. 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You actually think an accurate calender is of little importance? 

Nobody is disputing an accurate calendar is important.  As discussed an accurate calendar is essential in the planting of crops.  But it also necessary for a variety of sciences, business purposes, and a reminder that has been 731 since Hiliary Clinton was not sworn in as President

Just now, Tiberius said:

And all the condemnations from Catholics schools, GOP politicians and people all across the political spectrum were wrong too, I suppose. Lol, the right wing echo chamber sure has its own reality. 

They were wrong. It's incontrovertible now. 

Or are you sticking to your oringal position like a good little sycophant?

• Like (+1) 1