The GAME when you knew the Bills HC wasn't the guy!

PUNT750

We've been through so many HC's in recent history it's hard to single out ONE GAME when you realized this man wasn't going to get the Bills to the Play-Offs or even a winning record.  I know coaches get fired based on a "body of work" but sometimes a single game stands out. 

In 2016 Rex Ryan was just in his 2nd season as HC.  He was coming off an OK 8-8 record the previous year.  On October 23rd 2017 we went in to play Miami with a 4-2 record.  Miami was 2-4 and struggling.  It seemed very possible we could win 5 of our last 10 games and fight for a play-off spot.   OUCH!

For the 1st time I realized how bad this team was coached.  Miami rushed for 256 yards and controlled the ball for 37 minutes.  Tyrod had a "good" passing day throwing for 221 yards. 

We weren't competitive.  Blocking, tackling, preparation and execution.  Rex had to go and we knew it!

Any other games like this you remember???

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PUNT750 said:

We've been through so many HC's in recent history it's hard to single out ONE GAME when you realized this man wasn't going to get the Bills to the Play-Offs or even a winning record.  I know coaches get fired based on a "body of work" but sometimes a single game stands out. 

In 2016 Rex Ryan was just in his 2nd season as HC.  He was coming off an OK 8-8 record the previous year.  On October 23rd 2017 we went in to play Miami with a 4-2 record.  Miami was 2-4 and struggling.  It seemed very possible we could win 5 of our last 10 games and fight for a play-off spot.   OUCH!

For the 1st time I realized how bad this team was coached.  Miami rushed for 256 yards and controlled the ball for 37 minutes.  Tyrod had a "good" passing day throwing for 221 yards. 

We weren't competitive.  Blocking, tackling, preparation and execution.  Rex had to go and we knew it!

Sunday, Game 2 of the 2015 season.  Patriots at Bills.  We had easily won our previous game vs Colts, who were thought pre-season to be contenders.

Hopes were high.  Rex was in full braggadocio mode.

We were a wet stinkin' mess.  A hot pile.  37-13 Pats until the 4th quarter.  Gave up 507 yds to the Pats.  Had 14 penalties for 140 yds, many of which were stupid out-of-control hothead shots. 

That was the game where I changed from "Hopeful" to "Hapless"

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

For me with Chan it was week 1 of 2012. We had the hot start in 2011 and then in fairness were decimated by injuries. In 2012 with Mario added and most of the offense returning I really thought the team was ready to make a run at least. They got physically bashed by the Jets week 1 and I admitted I was wrong to be adamant that Chan came back in 2012. He was a nice guy but not a good enough HC. The rest of the year from there felt like a slow death. 

With Rex it was the London game against the Jags in year 1. Despite everything we had the lead with just over 2 minutes to go and Bortles starting in the shadow of his own posts inside his own 10. Yet the defensive mastermind spent the whole drive dropping Mario to cover the tight end instead of rushing the passer and the Jags marched down and scored. I'd have fired him on the spot. It was over for me with him from that point. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sunday, Game 2 of the 2015 season.  Patriots at Bills.  We had easily won our previous game vs Colts, who were thought pre-season to be contenders.

Hopes were high.  Rex was in full braggadocio mode.

We were a wet stinkin' mess.  A hot pile.  37-13 Pats until the 4th quarter.  Gave up 507 yds to the Pats.  Had 14 penalties for 140 yds, many of which were stupid out-of-control hothead shots. 

That was the game where I changed from "Hopeful" to "Hapless"

Interesting. I had a different game in very close proximity to that game in the same season. We went down and smoked Miami following that loss to NE. 2-1 and I was feeling kind of upbeat.

When we laid an egg AT HOME against a very beatable Giants team, I really felt like Rex was gonna be nothing more than a 500 coach.

I'm not giving up on McDermott, but that home loss to the Saints was a gut punch. Yes, Tyrod was bad, but the way the Saints ran the ball had me questioning if McD had lost the team. He's done enough to garner some hope, but those kind of blowouts need to stop.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

Bills v. Cheats at the Razor, 9/10/2006. Up 17-7 early in the 3rd quarter, Dicky J uncharacteristically decided to go for it on 4th and 1 from the NE 7 yard line instead of taking the purnts with a FG.  He gave the ball to the clueless Willis McGahee, who put up little effort for no gain.  Cheats go on to score 12 unanswered to win 19-17.  After the game, McGahee was quoted in an interview, "That was 4th down?" (McGahee made Leodis "My Man" look like a Rhodes scholar).  Unfortunately, it took the Bills braintrust three more years to finger out that Dicky J wasn't the guy.  I knew.  I knew on 9/10/2006.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

This probably shouldn't count, but Anthony Lynn's game was so bad that I have an exact moment that I knew he wasn't going to remain at head coach.  When we didn't even bother to pick up a kick off. 

I fully agree, I actually fell out of my chair laughing at that play. As a Bills fan,  a sense of humor can be really helpful at times.

• Like (+1) 1

Marrone-we were 5-3 coming off a 3 game win streak and we faced the Chiefs at home. We led most of the way and a fumble by Bryce Brown as he’s heading into the end zone and a stupid Leodis punt return fumble gave KC life and the chance to steal the game. We DEF make the playoffs that year especially with that top ranked D that we had.  

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For me with Chan it was week 1 of 2012. We had the hot start in 2011 and then in fairness were decimated by injuries. In 2012 with Mario added and most of the offense returning I really thought the team was ready to make a run at least. They got physically bashed by the Jets week 1 and I admitted I was wrong to be adamant that Chan came back in 2012. He was a nice guy but not a good enough HC. The rest of the year from there felt like a slow death. 

With Rex it was the London game against the Jags in year 1. Despite everything we had the lead with just over 2 minutes to go and Bortles starting in the shadow of his own posts inside his own 10. Yet the defensive mastermind spent the whole drive dropping Mario to cover the tight end instead of rushing the passer and the Jags marched down and scored. I'd have fired him on the spot. It was over for me with him from that point. 

That Chan game still pisses me off. Totally unprepared to start the season (the first two games this year made me feel the same way, I admit — though I still have hopes for McDermott).

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That first game against the Colts sticks out as well as that was Rex Ryan's peak in Buffalo. It all went downhill from the point on. 

46 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

This probably shouldn't count, but Anthony Lynn's game was so bad that I have an exact moment that I knew he wasn't going to remain at head coach.  When we didn't even bother to pick up a kick off. 

Anthony Lynn wore a hoodie last week at NE, he was captured by a mic while looking across the field and basically saying oh ***** BB is wearing a jacket and not a hoodie.  How sad, I think that was his game plan for the week. 

• Haha (+1) 3

The punt that started it all........"The Original Preposterous Punt"

November 3, 2002

Trailing 17-7 and being thoroughly dominated in the third quarter at home against the Patriots.......Greggo Williams punts from the Pats 32 on 4th down and 2.

You read that right.........from the 32.......on 4th and 2.

The Pats promptly marched the length of the field against Greggo's beleaguered defense and scored another TD on their way to a 38-7 win..........really the first real thrashing of the Pats pending domination of the Bills...........and the sure sign that Gregg Williams did not have what it takes to win.

Prior to this ridiculousness it was really pretty common to see hyper conservative decisions "similar" to this......in fact the crowd at the Ralph was hardly phased by it at the moment...........but this one crossed a line.

After that absurdity Gregg Easterbrook started tracking preposterous punts............and the punt shaming has really helped push the game forward in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, PUNT750 said:

I knew before a game was played that the Bills were going to fail when Rex Ryan was hired. This was a ridiculous hire bordering on weird. The Pegulas paid over a billion $$$ for their new business and endeavor. Instead of talking to a number of people in the business they allowed a huckster coach with a good interview act and a marketing staffer to influence him in hiring this fool. This loud and brash talking coach with the circus-like act performed to his level of competence. This staffing foolishness set this franchise back by a couple of years. 

• Like (+1) 6

For me, it usually never went as far as an actual game. I could see the stupidity in offseason moves and preseason play to realize that this was a bad hire to begin with. The QB situations, the offensive lines it showed season after season. 

Gregg Williams in his second year had acquired QB Drew Bledsoe from a trade with the Patriots... who everyone in the world knew by this time that Drew needed supreme protection to win games. After a sack or two and Bledsoe was seeing/hearing phantom rushers and he could never get into a rhythm after that.  New GM/team Tom Donahoe president screwed the pooch in the 2012 draft and drafted the wrong LT in Mike Williams at the #4 spot as he didn't even make a decent RT. Two spots later the Vikes draft McKinnie who is an all pro at LT.

The Bills even had Kevin Gilbride as OC at that time. A man who would later go on to be the OC for the SB winning NY Giants. The thing is Donahoe must have known he needed a better line and attempted to up grade it with a new LT. When that failed he gave up on building a better line. Instead Bledsoe was instructed to get the ball out quicker. Sure, ask the QB who has been in the league 10 years, and had taken a team to the SB to change his play style. 

These defensive minded head coaches wanting to draft and build a defense first... somehow they forget to fully build the offense. Gregg Williams, Dick Jauron, Rex Ryan. Then the offensive minded head coaches in Mike Mularkey, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone and even those guys didn't think to build better offensive lines to protect the QBs they had.

Now this past year the franchise finally drafts a QB in the top 10 for the first time in their storied 50+ year history and put that rookie behind one of the very worst offensive lines in the history of the Buffalo Bills. 

If this regime fails to build a top quality offensive line to protect that young QB and build a better ground game, then this regime will also fail just like all the rest of them. Most Bills fans saw the writing on the wall before the 2018 season started and knew it would be a down year when the FO didn't properly replace Woods, Incognito. 

The 64-65 AFL Championship years this franchise had one of the best offensive lines in the league. Same with those late 80s, early 90's Jim Kelly years as they had one of the best O lines year after year. All pro, pro bowl players at C, OG, LT. Those years the Bills defense was very good and the offense was even better. 

• Like (+1) 2

I remember it very well.

November 17, 2008 - The year we started 5-2.  We still had a chance for playoffs.  Monday Night at The Ralph. Brady Quinn's first start for the Clowns. Trent throws 3 picks in his first 4 possesions.  Bill battle back.  

clowns kick FG to go up 29-27 with 1:44 left. Fred returns KO to Bills 44. Trent completes 22 yard pass to Robert Royal putting us on Clowns 34 with 1:03 left. Dick camps out there.3 straight.Beast up the middle runs for a total of 5 yards. Then Lindell misses 47 yarder wide right.

I jumped off the Dick bandwagon that night ?.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1