How Offense Took Over the N.F.L.

notwoz

I keep wondering when more coaches are going to realize that punting is not always a good idea.  If the other team’s offense is moving the ball practically at will, punting from midfield likely won’t slow them down much.  Go for it more often!

Some coaches are starting to get it, others don’t.  Analytics. 

17 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I keep wondering when more coaches are going to realize that punting is not always a good idea.  If the other team’s offense is moving the ball practically at will, punting from midfield likely won’t slow them down much.  Go for it more often!

You can refer to analytics forever, but the bottom line statistic with owners, coaches, players, fans, and advertisers is winning; good coaches and organizations with winning cultures get to the playoffs by developing winning game plans. I feel pretty safe in stating that Bill Belichick or Sean Payton do not develop a game plan based on desire to provide entertaining football based on our need for excitement. You win by executing offense, defense, and special teams better than your opponent. I guarantee teams that consistently are in the playoff hunt late December and get into the playoffs consistently fill stadiums and show consistent profit! No matter how bad we want show time offense you still need consistent team play - defense included.

17 hours ago, vorpma said:

Hate to see the NFL become a spectacle instead of a skilled team sport that requires offense, defense, and special teams and I hate seeing fans dumb down to basically "long bomb touchdown!" 

Very few passes in the league are long bomb touchdowns.

The majority of all passes are under 20 yards.

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

It's funny.  "Football guys" like Sean McDermott think it's smart to punt.

Then you have people like economic professors at the University of Chicago mathematically demonstrating that it is almost always wrong to punt on 4th and 1 (for example) at almost any spot on the field, including your own 15 yard line.

All coaches, all the time, should always go for it on 4th and 1.  And if they know that up front, they have more freedom to to be more effective on 3rd down too.

But instead we get the punts.

I just commented on this in the "the moment you knew the coach was bad" thread.   In a must-win game in OT to stay in a playoff race, McDermott punted on 4th and 1 from his OPPONENT'S 41 YARD LINE.

That is unfathomably dumb.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Then you have people like economic professors at the University of Chicago mathematically demonstrating that it is almost always wrong to punt on 4th and 1 (for example) at almost any spot on the field, including your own 15 yard line.

All coaches, all the time, should always go for it on 4th and 1.  And if they know that up front, they have more freedom to to be more effective on 3rd down too.

I just commented on this in the "the moment you knew the coach was bad" thread.   In a must-win game in OT to stay in a playoff race, McDermott punted on 4th and 1 from his OPPONENT'S 41 YARD LINE.

Evidently you missed my sarcasm, was not trying to be statistically accurate but trying to point out the simplicity of the masses in the twenty - first century regarding the NFL; but thanks for the eye opening statistical input! 

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Scoring is the most exciting part of the game.  

To me, scoring is more exciting when the offences have to work extra hard to reach the end zone. Football used to be the ultimate game of cat and mouse. When people talked about it being like chess, they were right. Now it's more like checkers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Wow, the heavy weight argument of "economic professors at the University of Chicago," man the NFL should be bringing in academics, screw coaching!

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

To me, scoring is more exciting when the offences have to work extra hard to reach the end zone. Football used to be the ultimate game of cat and mouse. When people talked about it being like chess, they were right. Now it's more like checkers.

A form of entertainment for the masses; only in the twenty - first century can we take a sport like football with the strategy, poetry, physical requirements, coaching, talent, speed and brute strength and simplify from chess into checkers.  Great post providing a very sad commentary RobbRiddick!!!

19 hours ago, vorpma said:

Hate to see the NFL become a spectacle instead of a skilled team sport that requires offense, defense, and special teams and I hate seeing fans dumb down to basically "long bomb touchdown!" 

How can you have watched those 4 games last week and conclude that the NFL is anything but this??

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Wow, the heavy weight argument of "economic professors at the University of Chicago," man the NFL should be bringing in academics, screw coaching!

A form of entertainment for the masses; only in the twenty - first century can we take a sport like football with the strategy, poetry, physical requirements, coaching, talent, speed and brute strength and simplify from chess into checkers.  Great post providing a very sad commentary RobbRiddick!!!

Are these 4 teams not possessive of the best skill players, talent, speed, strength and coaching in the NFL??

This type of commentary is nonsense.

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How can you have watched those 4 games last week and conclude that the NFL is anything but this??

Are these 4 teams not possessive of the best skill players, talent, speed, strength and coaching in the NFL??

This type of commentary is nonsense.

Says Mr. Weeo!

Just now, vorpma said:

Says Mr. Weeo!

Excuse me - WEO!

Just now, vorpma said:

Says Mr. Weeo!

Seriously...what are you missing when you watch these games??  These are the most complete teams in the NFL--all surviving to the Conf Championships.

What else do you want?  This NO-Rams is a pretty good chess match.  You should change the channel from Fox1 USWNT coverage....and check it out.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Seriously...what are you missing when you watch these games??  These are the most complete teams in the NFL--all surviving to the Conf Championships.

What else do you want?  This NO-Rams is a pretty good chess match.  You should change the channel from Fox1 USWNT coverage....and check it out.

Sure is, Balanced offense, good defense, some good ST play; no Arena Football today, and what I have watched throughout the playoffs is consistent with the last 50 years of football. And I have no clue what Fox1 USWNT coverage is, I keep things pretty basic. Now what are you missing?

2 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Sure is, Balanced offense, good defense, some good ST play; no Arena Football today, and what I have watched throughout the playoffs is consistent with the last 50 years of football. And I have no clue what Fox1 USWNT coverage is, I keep things pretty basic. Now what are you missing?

You said today's game turned chess into checkers.

The fact is that GOAT Defenses like the '85 Bears could play checkers against simple Offenses they faced at the time.  That D would struggle to keep up with the complexity ("chess") they would face against today's offensive coaching schemes and athletes.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You said today's game turned chess into checkers.

The fact is that GOAT Defenses like the '85 Bears could play checkers against simple Offenses they faced at the time.  That D would struggle to keep up with the complexity ("chess") they would face against today's offensive coaching schemes and athletes.

No, I did not say today's game turned chess into checkers; I stated that fans in the 21st Century are more interested in Arena Football type action and prefer checkers over chess.  What we are seeing is good football today although I'm sure many are bored due to lack of Arena Football type action. Defense still wins championships - newsflash you have to score more points than your opponent and stop your opponent from scoring more points! I stand by my chess to checkers post - fact of life with many of the younger fans!

2 hours ago, vorpma said:

we take a sport like football with the strategy, poetry, physical requirements, coaching, talent, speed and brute strength and simplify from chess into checkers.  !

No, I did not say today's game turned chess into checkers; 

ya did...

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

ya did...

I am going to try and simplify this: 

The Post I responded to an hour before kickoff from RobbRiddick :  "To me, scoring is more exciting when the offences have to work extra hard to reach the end zone. Football used to be the ultimate game of cat and mouse. When people talked about it being like chess, they were right. Now it's more like checkers."

My Response to RobbRiddick post Hours before LA - NO Kickoff: "A form of entertainment for the masses; only in the twenty - first century can we take a sport like football with the strategy, poetry, physical requirements, coaching, talent, speed and brute strength and simplify from chess into checkers.  Great post providing a very sad commentary RobbRiddick!!!  

I am going to try and simplify this: 

The Post I responded to an hour before kickoff from RobbRiddick :  "To me, scoring is more exciting when the offences have to work extra hard to reach the end zone. Football used to be the ultimate game of cat and mouse. When people talked about it being like chess, they were right. Now it's more like checkers."

My Response to RobbRiddick post Hours before LA - NO Kickoff: "A form of entertainment for the masses; only in the twenty - first century can we take a sport like football with the strategy, poetry, physical requirements, coaching, talent, speed and brute strength and simplify from chess into checkers.  Great post providing a very sad commentary RobbRiddick!!!  

I read it correctly the first time and reposted correctly.  "We took a sport like football and simplified it from chess into checkers.

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I read it correctly the first time and reposted correctly.  "We took a sport like football and simplified it from chess into checkers.

You are correct and I stand by that; if it upsets you or you disagree sorry about that! My post generalizes about the current attitudes and mindset of younger fans in 2018!  I am guessing you are offended!

Just now, vorpma said:

You are correct and I stand by that; if it upsets you or you disagree sorry about that! My post generalizes about the current attitudes and mindset of younger fans in 2018!  I am guessing you are offended!

My last post on this over discussed observation!