Your draft sleeper pick

TigerJ

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay I have pretty much finalised my grading work for this draft so here are my sleepers. Some are mid round guys on whom the consensus is lower some are late round fliers.

TE Josh Oliver, San Diego State

Consensus: 3rd-4th rounder

On my board: 2nd rounder

I think this guy could end up being the best tight end in this class. He has terrific size and speed for the position, and good hands and a big catch radius. Runs routes (basically a full tree) and separates better than some of the highly regard receivers in this class and while his blocking technique needs some work he shows no lack of willingness or desire to block and can win physically.

S Malik Gant, Marshall

Consensus: 5th rounder

On my board: 3rd rounder

Former walk on at Marshall who later earned a scholarship. All effort on every play. Bit of a throwback in the sense that when he hits he properly hits. Goes downhill better than he backpedals but he has decent ball skills and can play special teams.

WR Alex Wesley, Northern Colorado

Consensus: UDFA

On my board: 6th-7th rounder

I was intrigued by this kid’s combine workouts and went off and managed to find a couple of bits of film on the internet. He has obviously played against low end competition but he is an intriguing slot/gadget guy with excellent speed and shiftiness. Also runs down field and hits on special teams. I’d be willing to throw a late round pick at him.

DT Cortez Broughton, Cincinnati

Consensus: 4th-5th rounder

Has started to generate some major buzz the last few weeks and may end up going earlier than a lot of people expected. A little undersized as a defensive tackle but so explosive off the ball it is frightening. Needs to improve his technique when he gets there to shed blockers and finish plays but his potential is sky high.

ILB, Tyrel Dodson, Texas A&M

Consensus: 7th round / UDFA

On my board: 4th rounder

A little undersized but a fast, instinctive linebacker who can cover and provides some pass rush upside. Feel like he is an outside off the ball linebacker in the NFL and he just screams out a fit for Sean McDermott’s scheme. Groomed as a long term replacement for Lorenzo as the SAM?

S, Chris Johnson, North Alabama

On my board: 5th-6th rounder

Big, fast, instinctive, ball skills, this guy was a star of the East-West Shrine Game and has sky high potential. Needs to be smoother in and out of breaks and with changes of direction in order to shadow receivers and could improve his tackling technique but as a developmental guy there is talent here.

DE, Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma State

Consensus: 5th-6th rounder

My board: 4th rounder

Strong, well balanced with the speed to power conversion that teams look for. When he gets there he is a ferocious finisher at the point of contact. Needs to improve his range of pass rush moves (at the moment it is bull rush or nothing) but has early value as a sub package pass rusher and can develop from there.  

Oliver (from San Jose State) is interesting. I will look more at him.  Seems to be in the same category as Kahale Warring of SDSU as far as being a 3rd/4th round guy.  I would like some combination of TE/WR/RB/DL/Edge in the first 5 picks.  If they can get two of their picks upgraded into the the top 100, they could actually get 5 candidates to make the roster.  If not Hockensen, then a TE like Warring/Sternberger/Oliver wwould be in the mix.

Julian Love CB Fighting Irish. He didn't have a great combine but the guy is really good in man coverage if you watched him play in college. When the Irish played Clemson he being injured early in that game hampered ND quite a bit. I think he might drop a bit we'll see.

and yes I do home hard for Domer players I think Boykin WR would be killer in a Bills uniform too, great hands, runs great routes and had an excellent combine 4.42 40 and highest vertical leap of any WR

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, muppy said:

Julian Love CB Fighting Irish. He didn't have a great combine but the guy is really good in man coverage if you watched him play in college. When the Irish played Clemson he being injured early in that game hampered ND quite a bit. I think he might drop a bit we'll see.

and yes I do home hard for Domer players I think Boykin WR would be killer in a Bills uniform too, great hands, runs great routes and had an excellent combine 4.42 40 and highest vertical leap of any WR

I could see the Bills taking him. I believe they will take a CB somewhere and they scouted ND live multiple times 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, muppy said:

You stay away from my boy J-Love! That's my draft crush, and nobody is going to steal him from me now!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I haven't done nearly the draft work that you or others have done...........but I can't do a mock draft without taking Josh Oliver because he's always there in round 3 or 4..........the sweet spot for value at TE..........I just feel good about that guys game sorta' the way I did with Tre White.    I think he's going to be really good.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I haven't done nearly the draft work that you or others have done...........but I can't do a mock draft without taking Josh Oliver because he's always there in round 3 or 4..........the sweet spot for value at TE..........I just feel good about that guys game sorta' the way I did with Tre White.    I think he's going to be really good.   

Me too. I'd not be adverse to trading back into the bottom of round 2 if he is still there. Think he has the highest ceiling of TEs in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Christian Miller - OLB - Alabama

Miller is an unusual player in that he has a low floor and a very high ceiling. He is more of a pass rusher than anything else and he truly does get off the LOS in a heartbeat. The kid is 6'4;" I have seen him listed at 247 but he appears to be lighter to me.

If he puts on some weight and muscle he could develop (imo of course) into a great pass rusher. If not, the possibility of him getting shoved around by strong OTs does exist.

Miller is a very smart kid, and there is video on you tube of him running around an OT, grabbing Kyler Murray, and tossing him like a frisbee in the playoffs.

He is a gamble, but easily worth a 3rd imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Christian Miller - OLB - Alabama

Miller is an unusual player in that he has a low floor and a very high ceiling. He is more of a pass rusher than anything else and he truly does get off the LOS in a heartbeat. The kid is 6'4;" I have seen him listed at 247 but he appears to be lighter to me.

If he puts on some weight and muscle he could develop (imo of course) into a great pass rusher. If not, the possibility of him getting shoved around by strong OTs does exist.

Miller is a very smart kid, and there is video on you tube of him running around an OT, grabbing Kyler Murray, and tossing him like a frisbee in the playoffs.

He is a gamble, but easily worth a 3rd imo.

I agree he has a high ceiling as a pass rusher.  Doesn't really project to LB in a 4-3......he looked particularly out of place in some of those combine drills for OBLB's........ and a little small for a 4-3 DE but he has the look of a pass rusher and frame to grow some.   I know Newsome is gone but he just looks like one of those guys the Ravens steal and then build up into a high producer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay I have pretty much finalised my grading work for this draft so here are my sleepers. Some are mid round guys on whom the consensus is lower some are late round fliers.

TE Josh Oliver, San Diego State

Consensus: 3rd-4th rounder

On my board: 2nd rounder

I think this guy could end up being the best tight end in this class. He has terrific size and speed for the position, and good hands and a big catch radius. Runs routes (basically a full tree) and separates better than some of the highly regard receivers in this class and while his blocking technique needs some work he shows no lack of willingness or desire to block and can win physically.

S Malik Gant, Marshall

Consensus: 5th rounder

Former walk on at Marshall who later earned a scholarship. All effort on every play. Bit of a throwback in the sense that when he hits he properly hits. Goes downhill better than he backpedals but he has decent ball skills and can play special teams.

WR Alex Wesley, Northern Colorado

On my board: 6th-7th rounder

I was intrigued by this kid’s combine workouts and went off and managed to find a couple of bits of film on the internet. He has obviously played against low end competition but he is an intriguing slot/gadget guy with excellent speed and shiftiness. Also runs down field and hits on special teams. I’d be willing to throw a late round pick at him.

DT Cortez Broughton, Cincinnati

Consensus: 4th-5th rounder

Has started to generate some major buzz the last few weeks and may end up going earlier than a lot of people expected. A little undersized as a defensive tackle but so explosive off the ball it is frightening. Needs to improve his technique when he gets there to shed blockers and finish plays but his potential is sky high.

ILB, Tyrel Dodson, Texas A&M

Consensus: 7th round / UDFA

On my board: 4th rounder

A little undersized but a fast, instinctive linebacker who can cover and provides some pass rush upside. Feel like he is an outside off the ball linebacker in the NFL and he just screams out a fit for Sean McDermott’s scheme. Groomed as a long term replacement for Lorenzo as the SAM?

S, Chris Johnson, North Alabama

On my board: 5th-6th rounder

Big, fast, instinctive, ball skills, this guy was a star of the East-West Shrine Game and has sky high potential. Needs to be smoother in and out of breaks and with changes of direction in order to shadow receivers and could improve his tackling technique but as a developmental guy there is talent here.

DE, Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma State

Consensus: 5th-6th rounder

My board: 4th rounder

Strong, well balanced with the speed to power conversion that teams look for. When he gets there he is a ferocious finisher at the point of contact. Needs to improve his range of pass rush moves (at the moment it is bull rush or nothing) but has early value as a sub package pass rusher and can develop from there.  

Oliver is one of my favorite tight end picks in the draft.  I feel like he is a well rounded TE with plenty of athleticism. Hockenson is more polished and played at a higher level of competition, but I think Oliver's upside is comparable.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree he has a high ceiling as a pass rusher.  Doesn't really project to LB in a 4-3......he looked particularly out of place in some of those combine drills for OBLB's........ and a little small for a 4-3 DE but he has the look of a pass rusher and frame to grow some.   I know Newsome is gone but he just looks like one of those guys the Ravens steal and then build up into a high producer.

Agree 100% with this on Miller.

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know what you mean wrt Newsome. It would be crazy if he went to the Skins!!!

I have seen every game Miller has played and really did notice steady improvement. He never played on a bad defense, the talent around him was consistent but did not improve from season to season as Miller did.

Would a kid like this be an asset in Nickel Packages? I am thinking that he wouldn't have many coverage responsibilities in a nickel and could just go after quarterbacks.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I know what you mean wrt Newsome. It would be crazy if he went to the Skins!!!

I have seen every game Miller has played and really did notice steady improvement. He never played on a bad defense, the talent around him was consistent but did not improve from season to season but Miller did.

Would a kid like this be an asset in Nickel Packages? I am thinking that he wouldn't have many coverage responsibilities in a nickel and could just go after quarterbacks.

I like this thought .. a lot

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/19/2019 at 9:05 PM, White Linen said:

Yes.  There's several WR's projected to go before him and I think he becomes the best WR in this class.  

Anything else?

Me too. I really think he is the Odell Beckham of this draft at WR. Dudes incredible. I wouldn’t say he’s a sleeper. I think he’ll be the 3-5th best WR picked. Probably by the beginning to middle of the 2nd round. 

I’m a sucker for skill positions. So I’ll stick with RB and WR

Henderson- may be a sleeper. But I’ve done so many mocks and keep seeing him be the number 1 off the board (except Jacobs) as early as the late 2nd. I still think the kid can fly and will be very good. 

Holyfield- he’s another one. Kid has very good size imo. Could shed a little weight and be perfect for an NFL back. He’s a 4th rounder or 5th and he’d be a steal. 

LJ Scott- I know some have warned me on this kid. I don’t care. I know what I see. The kid should be a 3rd day pick and will be an absolute stud in the league assuming he’s put in the right position with the right team. 

Wrs is similar. I’d say Harmon, Butler, Hall, Ridley all have potential to be not only good WRs in this league but could turn out being the best of the group above all the rest. Butler and Hall are considered 2nd round guys so they are much of a sleeper pick, but if they dominate, they would be. Harmon and Ridley are more like 3rd and 4th round picks and could be just as good. 

Well I’ll all see soon enough.