John Parrella is now an assistant coach in Cleveland

Albany,n.y.

26 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

He didn’t quit on the Bills. 2nd round draft choice in 93. Before his 2nd season Levy cut him and took a bit of heat for it. Levy said he wasn’t a fit for our 3-4, was meant to be in a 4-3. Chargers picked him up and he was a reliable defensive tackle for them for 8 seasons.

I remember this. I don't understand why the Bills drafted him in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

He was a dlineman for the Bills in the mid 90's. Never amounted to much in the NFL.

Not true. He actually had a long and solid career. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/ParrJo20.htm

He started for that Raiders team that went to the 2002 SB.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember working out at Balleys in OP in the early 90's and this beast on the bench press where the barbell would bow when he pressed it. It turned out to be Parella. Quite impressive. Not sure why Levy didn't trade him for something. Just out right cut him for NADA, typical Bills fashion in the old days.

5 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

He didn’t quit on the Bills. 2nd round draft choice in 93. Before his 2nd season Levy cut him and took a bit of heat for it. Levy said he wasn’t a fit for our 3-4, was meant to be in a 4-3. Chargers picked him up and he was a reliable defensive tackle for them for 8 seasons.

7 hours ago, JPL7 said:

I don't recall what happened with him in Buffalo? What do you mean he quit??

When he was a rookie shortly after camp started he got scared and thought he wasn't good enough.  He left camp and started to drive home.  Here's the short story from Relentless page 462 July 19 (1993) "Rookie second-round draft choice John Parrella left camp and did not tell the coaching staff.  He intended on driving home to Grand Island, Nebraska to see his ill father, but he stopped in Toledo, Ohio, called his father and was told to turn around and get back to camp.  He arrived back in Fredonia in the evening." 

Here's some more info on Parrella:  Parrella was cut after getting beaten out by undrafted free agent DL Ed Philion in 1994.  His father was murdered in 2000.  I don't know if the case was ever solved.  At the Super Bowl in 1994 in Atlanta, while the Bills were losing the scoreboard showed Parrella & Corbin Lacina on the bench, they appeared to be laughing.  I never heard anything in the media about that moment.  I remember seeing the two of them on the scoreboard & pointed it out to Petrino.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

17 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Thank you. A post that recalls history accurately. Not a pass rusher, but tough on the run. He was a solid tackle for the Chargers for years.