What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was at a luncheon a while back and the speaker was from the economic development commission. He said they could bring more businesses to the area but we don’t have the workers they needed. We have plenty of college educated people looking for jobs, but what they need are welders and electricians, etc. You can have a very nice life doing honest work. 

You still need a ton of schooling, training, and apprenticing to become a competent (not to mention insurable) welder/electrician. They are highly educated, albeit in a specialized field.

I think it’s a mistake to disregard the value of higher education. It’s not all art history and romance literature degrees.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You still need a ton of schooling, training, and apprenticing to become a competent (not to mention insurable) welder/electrician. They are highly educated, albeit in a specialized field.

I think it’s a mistake to disregard the value of higher education. It’s not all art history and romance literature degrees.

My wife is dead set on our kids going to college and us paying for it, but she's pretty firm about not paying for an art degree  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If anybody did that, I missed it. College isn’t for everybody. Their are different paths in life. My son has 2 undergrad degrees, a Masters, he’s a CPA who is looking into the MBA programs at Emory, UGA and Georgia Tech. He took one path as a serial student (which pleases us - but it’s HIS life), but there are others. 

And yes, it is not easy to be qualified at anything difficult. Some more difficult than others. There is a wide range, but generally more work gaining knowledge and skills  pays off.  I have some friends who have sons in the HVAC business, Not too difficult to get trained up, and they get by just fine. It depends on what you want in life, and how hard you are willing to work for it. (No amount of work will make me the center for the Lakers, some be realistic!) 

Edited by Augie

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

If anybody did that, I missed it. College isn’t for everybody. Their are different paths in life. My son has 2 undergrad degrees, a Masters, he’s a CPA who is looking into the MBA programs at Emory, UGA and Georgia Tech. He took one path as a serial student (which pleases us - but it’s HIS life), but there are others. 

And yes, it is not easy to be qualified at anything difficult. Some more difficult than others. There is a wide range, but generally more work gaining knowledge and skills  pays off. 

There are a lot of posts in this thread saying college degrees aren't worthwhile...if you had said 'a generic degree from a typical liberal arts college isn't for everyone' I would tend to agree with you, but I don't know many people who wouldn't benefit by pursuing advanced training in their field. 

I just hit on the welding thing because I think there is a perception that somehow the demand for technical trade jobs disprove the value of degrees and secondary education...I mean, yes you can technically try to get AWS certified without going through welding school but I can guarantee you have a better shot of trying to pass the bar without going to law school.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Your opinions aren't controversial, they're just ignorant.

Read and learn...and if you're still relatively young, go to school.

Unfortunately, a certain demographic in our country has decided college is a waste of time which is a really dangerous place to be as a nation.  

http://www.aplu.org/projects-and-initiatives/college-costs-tuition-and-financial-aid/publicuvalues/employment-earnings.html

Its a matter of return on investment. Generations of Americans have been raised under the idea that you "have to go" to college when there aren't enough jobs to justify the cost of education. Combined with the way education is financed through non-recourse lending its the perfect environment for higher education.  Charge whatever you want (and they do as education prices have risen way beyond inflation for decades), see no decrease in demand (enrollment), and bear minimal risks when kids default on loans.  Hello student loan bubble.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

There are a lot of posts in this thread saying college degrees aren't worthwhile...if you had said 'a generic degree from a typical liberal arts college isn't for everyone' I would tend to agree with you, but I don't know many people who wouldn't benefit by pursuing advanced training in their field. 

I just hit on the welding thing because I think there is a perception that somehow the demand for technical trade jobs disprove the value of degrees and secondary education...I mean, yes you can technically try to get AWS certified without going through welding school but I can guarantee you have a better shot of trying to pass the bar without going to law school.

Whoa!  Don’t confuse college with advanced training and skills development. I think you’re confusing the issue. Show me where anybody said advanced training is a bad idea. I certainly didn’t. I think people are just pointing out it doesn’t have to be the traditional college experience 

While it may be “worthwhile” to have a college degree, it just may not be in the cards for everyone for various reasons. There are still perfectly fine options to have a nice life. 

Just now, Augie said:

Whoa!  Don’t confuse college with advanced training and skills development. I think you’re confusing the issue. Show me where anybody said advanced training is a bad idea. I certainly didn’t. I think people are just pointing out it doesn’t have to be the traditional college experience 

While it may be “worthwhile” to have a college degree, it just may not be in the cards for everyone for various reasons. There are still perfectly fine options to have a nice life. 

You don't consider 'college' to be advanced training and skills development?

Just now, GoBills808 said:

You don't consider 'college' to be advanced training and skills development?

NO.......I don’t consider all advanced training and skills development to be “college”.  College is ONE form. 

Look, we are serious pro-higher education people. We have invested heavily there in terms of time and money. It’s just not the only path. 

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Would ensure better justice system outcomes.

Yes, because our best and brightest are currently in the Army and USMC.

They'll perform adequately as long as someone is there telling them where, when, how, and who to vote for.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Yes, because our best and brightest are currently in the Army and USMC.

They're certainly not in college.

Have you seen the nonsense happening there lately? Edit: also civilians have done nothing to earn the right. I'm also against birthright citizenship.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

People that want to discuss how the end of the world is coming are total

dipshits and they don’t take into account how many generations of people died while believing the same thing. 

... and the meek shall inherit the Earth.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

NO.......I don’t consider all advanced training and skills development to be “college”.  College is ONE form. 

Look, we are serious pro-higher education people. We have invested heavily there in terms of time and money. It’s just not the only path. 

I guess we just have different definitions of college then. There are a lot of technical and trade schools that I consider 'colleges' that offer the kind of training we're talking about. 

Not to beat it to death, but this debate usually centers around two points that have always bothered me...one, that somehow a traditional university degree in liberal arts/STEM/etc is fundamentally different from an associates/certification/diploma in one of the 'trades' and two, that the argument 'a college degree isn't for everyone' is almost always coming from someone who has one.