What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

Or perhaps their participation encourages others to join in...

I mean, ragging on people who give their money/time because they didn't do so in the dark of night is a pretty petty complaint.

As I was reading this a St Jude Children’s Hospital commercial came on. Sometimes the exposure can be as valuable as the donation. My wife used to be on the Board there, and their average donation is far, far smaller than you might think. Almost tiny.....But they get so much exposure they get an unbelievable number of those small contributions. 

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

As I was reading this a St Jude Children’s Hospital commercial came on. Sometimes the exposure can be as valuable as the donation. My wife used to be on the Board there, and their average donation is far, far smaller than you might think. Almost tiny.....But they get so much exposure they get an unbelievable number of those small contributions. 

Gifts of time and money are only acceptable when they come from a pure and modest heart? Society could use a lot more encouragement to "be better" than mocking those who are trying.

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Charity Walk-a-thons, 5Ks, etc, don't really do anything. The entry fee may be going towards a noble cause, but you can donate money and have it be the end. The event itself is simply a way for you to show off how charitable you are. 

My brother likes to run in 5Ks.  It’s a social thing.  Sometimes it’s with friends, sometimes it’s part of a chili cook off, sometimes it’s in a unique place.  The charity part is just a bonus.  

One event involved running around the Daytona speedway and hanging around the pits for a little while.  Another event involved running across the Golden Gate Bridge.  The charity aspect of the running event is not part of the equation if he thinks the event might be fun. 

5 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Charity Walk-a-thons, 5Ks, etc, don't really do anything. The entry fee may be going towards a noble cause, but you can donate money and have it be the end. The event itself is simply a way for you to show off how charitable you are. 

Which brings me to my latest controversial opinion.  Your mother should have stopped breast feeding you at 18 months, tops.  5 years is far too long.

58 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

My brother likes to run in 5Ks.  It’s a social thing.  Sometimes it’s with friends, sometimes it’s part of a chili cook off, sometimes it’s in a unique place.  The charity part is just a bonus.  

One event involved running around the Daytona speedway and hanging around the pits for a little while.  Another event involved running across the Golden Gate Bridge.  The charity aspect of the running event is not part of the equation if he thinks the event might be fun. 

I always wondered if the 5k part is optional.

I would join for the food and free gatorade if they didn't make me do the walk.

I think someone said I didn't have to do it, but so many people I know at the event would force me anyway if I showed up. I want the recognition without the pain.

4 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I think someone said I didn't have to do it, but so many people I know at the event would force me anyway if I showed up. I want the recognition without the pain.

Can’t you show up to support or cheer for a friend?  It seems like paying a fee to enjoy the food should be part of a charity event.

At the chili cook offs that my brother goes to the running is optional. 

7 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The term "hero" is vastly overused nowadays

How about superheroes? 

6 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Additionally, 8 year old girls who start a lemonade stand and give the money to a charity upon their parents urges are NOT heroes.  It's a noble effort, but NOT heroic.

Well, it's heroic when the parent puts it on youtube. 

7 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Agreed. An even more controversial opinion I hold, military service, even combat service, doesn't automatically make you a hero. Not saying the military never does anything heroic, but just being in the military shouldn't automatically gain you hero status. Our nation, especially after 9/11, has had a problem with military hero worship. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should go back to the days of Vietnam where people spit on soldiers and called them baby killers. But I think in an effort to right that wrong, we drove into the other ditch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czUx2gvjdJk

9 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Heroes ran into the World Trade Center buildings in September 2001, first responders trying to save lives.  They do not necessarily run up and down fields or gymnasium floors for our entertainment.

The biggest heroes that day were the regular guys who instead of making a dash out of the building, stayed behind to treat the wounded, carry immobile co-workers down 80 flights, and do floor sweeps in ruined, smoke filled offices, all long before the firemen got there.

11 hours ago, unbillievable said:

It is optional and often walkable. 

I do some 5Ks and biking fundraisers. I don’t wear the shirt or post it on media. It’s just a chance for a fun workout with a bunch of people who care about some common cause. It’s ... like... real life community. I can’t believe people find this so hard to accept. 

Pancake breakfasts, the church fair, charity auctions? Sure maybe some people do it to be seen. But most humans do it to see others and be uplifted and uplift their fellow humans. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

On 3/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

But there's a "free" tshirt and beer at the finish line!

On 3/27/2019 at 1:19 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

If you're okay with the idea of aborting a pregnancy because the fetus tested positive for Down's Syndrome, you have no reason to be upset that the government wants to pull public funding from the Special Olympics.

Pregnancy is not a "women's health issue."

18 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

But there's a "free" tshirt and beer at the finish line!

Ummmm, can I just start at the finish line? ‘Cause that sounds like a pretty good deal!  

?

?

42 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Pregnancy is not a "women's health issue."

Similarly, if a woman's "choice" over how her pregnancy ends is 100% none of my business, then the resulting child if she carries it to term is 100% none of my responsibility.

• Thank you (+1) 1