What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

On 3/12/2019 at 11:17 PM, Augie said:

I hope you are wearing protective gear of you ever want to propose that theory to any mother, anywhere, any time. 

It's more 50/50 than most mothers are comfortable admitting.  

Raising children is akin to flying an airplane.  The airplane can get by with one engine but it optimally flies better with two.  Both boys and girls benefit from a fatherly influence in their lives.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

It's more 50/50 than most mothers are comfortable admitting.  

Raising children is akin to flying an airplane.  The airplane can get by with one engine but it optimally flies better with two.  Both boys and girls benefit from a fatherly influence in their lives.  

While I fully agree, I was more focused on the birth of the child. “We” had 40 hours of labor before they gave up and did a C-section. (Extenuating circumstances kept us at the hospital the entire time.) I can’t discount the birthing process very easily! But what I responded to DID say “after the birth”. The second child was a scheduled C-section, so “we” only averaged 20 hours of labor. 

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I always appreciated the Texas fundamentalist preacher who a few months before Y2K was predicting the end of the world.  Despite that impending downer, at the end of the program would earnestly ask listeners to pony up a one year subscription for his magazine.

‘Now with end of the world discount on the back end of your subscription!!’

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I think the Devil beat Johnny's ass and she should have ripped his soul from Johnny's body.

Incorrect. While I agree that the Devil's section was more enjoyable, his fiddle playing wasn't that great. The band of demons are what made it sound so great. The piano, the guitar riff. Take all of that away, and the fiddle playing is average at best. If it was a musical competition, this would be correct. But it wasn't. It was a fiddle competition, and Johnny played a better fiddle than the devil.

Surprisingly deep theological concept actually. All throughout the Bible, the Devil has nothing good to offer, but deceives people into thinking that he's offering the better deal.

16 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The term "hero" is vastly overused nowadays

Agreed. An even more controversial opinion I hold, military service, even combat service, doesn't automatically make you a hero. Not saying the military never does anything heroic, but just being in the military shouldn't automatically gain you hero status. Our nation, especially after 9/11, has had a problem with military hero worship. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should go back to the days of Vietnam where people spit on soldiers and called them baby killers. But I think in an effort to right that wrong, we drove into the other ditch.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Agreed. An even more controversial opinion I hold, military service, even combat service, doesn't automatically make you a hero. Not saying the military never does anything heroic, but just being in the military shouldn't automatically gain you hero status. Our nation, especially after 9/11, has had a problem with military hero worship. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should go back to the days of Vietnam where people spit on soldiers and called them baby killers. But I think in an effort to right that wrong, we drove into the other ditch.

Truth.  Someone made the point earlier that most of these "heroes" signed up because they had no other prospects.  They did their time, moved cars around in the motor pool for a couple of years and got out.  Additionally, 8 year old girls who start a lemonade stand and give the money to a charity upon their parents urges are NOT heroes.  It's a noble effort, but NOT heroic.

Edited by AlCowlingsTaxiService
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The term "hero" is vastly overused nowadays

Heroes ran into the World Trade Center buildings in September 2001, first responders trying to save lives.  They do not necessarily run up and down fields or gymnasium floors for our entertainment.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Charity Walk-a-thons, 5Ks, etc, don't really do anything. The entry fee may be going towards a noble cause, but you can donate money and have it be the end. The event itself is simply a way for you to show off how charitable you are. 

People love to donate to charity, and let everyone know that they are doing it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Heroes ran into the World Trade Center buildings in September 2001, first responders trying to save lives.  They do not necessarily run up and down fields or gymnasium floors for our entertainment.

There's the perfect example of someone going way above and beyond anything that is expected.  All too often, we label someone as a hero simply because they did the right thing.  While giving someone the Heimlich while they're choking at McDonald's may meet the lesser definitions of hero, it's not exactly a move that screams "hand this guy the key to the city".

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

There's the perfect example of someone going way above and beyond anything that is expected.  All too often, we label someone as a hero simply because they did the right thing.  While giving someone the Heimlich while they're choking at McDonald's may meet the lesser definitions of hero, it's not exactly a move that screams "hand this guy the key to the city".

But then couldnt you say the first responders of 911 weren't going above and beyond and were 'just doing their jobs' going into the buildings? When most of them arrived they just thought the upper floors were on fire, people weren't running in when they noticed the buildings started falling.

Edited by apuszczalowski

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

People love to donate to charity, and let everyone know that they are doing it.

Or perhaps their participation encourages others to join in...

I mean, ragging on people who give their money/time because they didn't do so in the dark of night is a pretty petty complaint.