What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, Nextmanup said:

Your opinions aren't controversial, they're just ignorant.

Read and learn...and if you're still relatively young, go to school.

Unfortunately, a certain demographic in our country has decided college is a waste of time which is a really dangerous place to be as a nation.  

http://www.aplu.org/projects-and-initiatives/college-costs-tuition-and-financial-aid/publicuvalues/employment-earnings.html

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/326995-census-more-americans-have-college-degrees-than-ever-before

More young Americans have college degrees now than at any other time in our history, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. 

The idea of college as mandatory is a relatively new concept and its being re-examined.  It wasn't that long ago that you didn't need a degree to be successful.  Now a college degree is the new high school diploma.  Its not an achievement, its an expectation.  Yet my generation was still sold the  idea that you go to college and you're guaranteed a good job and the American Dream and all that *****.  Get good grades, get into the best school you can, and it will all be worthwhile.  "You'll have that $120k in debt paid off in no time with the amazing job you'll get with your shiny new degree, kid!"  Problem is its not true and because the lofty idea of education as pure and noble the environment has not been suitable to have the necessary conversation about how the sausage actually gets made.

A fair number of kids I graduated with found waiting tables at Applebee's was paying more than entry level jobs.  Which brings us to this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertfarrington/2018/12/12/student-loan-bubble-wont-burst/#5f16d3ca6768

We're not doing kids any favors by allowing them to take out crippling debt because education cannot hurt.

The simple fact is that if everyone in the world were college educated someone would still need to clean my toilet.  Cleaning my toilet can be tough (I've got some real trick shot magic going on since I got back from Mexico) but you don't need much of an education to get that baby sparkling.

21 minutes ago, teef said:

i think many, (possibly the majority) are homeless due to mental health issues.  

Feed the homeless to the starving. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

13 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Oh yeah. Looking back, we all find it hilarious. 

one hot summer afternoon at an outdoor Arts Festival in Rochester  my son (now 2 1/2 to 3) was in a stroller and it was a little hot, he was tired and whiny.  

Some old crone was saying we were abusing him and  that she left her kids at home.  

My wife turned to her and said .. Oh, so you neglected your children.  we walked away from the crone as her mouth hung open, 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Adults who are still picky eaters have low IQs.

Bumper stickers of any kind are for picky eaters.

Leaving your shopping cart propped up on a curb or free to roam around a parking lot should be punishable by jail time.  Walk it back to the corral you lazy f@#$s! 

Also, using a weight bench as a coffee table and doing exercises next to the bench should be punishable by hard jail time.

Lying about your connecting flight leaving in 10 minutes to deplane faster, jumping up a boarding group, cutting in line, not re-racking your weights, and the myriad other things people do to game the system and save precious seconds doesn't make you clever.  It makes you an #######. 

Haven't seen the statistics for the first two. If I ever run for office, the next two will be part of my platform. Don't fly, but most of what you say in the last one make sense.

Adults who are still picky eaters have low IQs.

Bumper stickers of any kind are for picky eaters.

Leaving your shopping cart propped up on a curb or free to roam around a parking lot should be punishable by jail time.  Walk it back to the corral you lazy f@#$s! 

Also, using a weight bench as a coffee table and doing exercises next to the bench should be punishable by hard jail time.

Lying about your connecting flight leaving in 10 minutes to deplane faster, jumping up a boarding group, cutting in line, not re-racking your weights, and the myriad other things people do to game the system and save precious seconds doesn't make you clever.  It makes you an #######. 

When I was a cart boy back in high school I used to have one of those machines. So I'd have a row of about 20 carts. When I'd see someone leave their cart in their spot, I'd run over there, block their car in with my carts, and take my sweet ass time getting their cart on my line.

• Like (+1) 1

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/326995-census-more-americans-have-college-degrees-than-ever-before

More young Americans have college degrees now than at any other time in our history, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. 

The idea of college as mandatory is a relatively new concept and its being re-examined.  It wasn't that long ago that you didn't need a degree to be successful.  Now a college degree is the new high school diploma.  Its not an achievement, its an expectation.  Yet my generation was still sold the  idea that you go to college and you're guaranteed a good job and the American Dream and all that *****.  Get good grades, get into the best school you can, and it will all be worthwhile.  "You'll have that $120k in debt paid off in no time with the amazing job you'll get with your shiny new degree, kid!"  Problem is its not true and because the lofty idea of education as pure and noble the environment has not been suitable to have the necessary conversation about how the sausage actually gets made.

A fair number of kids I graduated with found waiting tables at Applebee's was paying more than entry level jobs.  Which brings us to this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertfarrington/2018/12/12/student-loan-bubble-wont-burst/#5f16d3ca6768

We're not doing kids any favors by allowing them to take out crippling debt because education cannot hurt.

The simple fact is that if everyone in the world were college educated someone would still need to clean my toilet.  Cleaning my toilet can be tough (I've got some real trick shot magic going on since I got back from Mexico) but you don't need much of an education to get that baby sparkling.

Sounds like you have a degree...are you saying it was a bad investment?

In Canada the mandatory University degree thing has been a hard rule since the early 1970s, that may have been how your parent(s) raised you though.  Everyone in my factory town thought it was their right to go to University in the early 1980s.

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

In Canada the mandatory University degree thing has been a hard rule since the early 1970s, that may have been how your parent(s) raised you though.  Everyone in my factory town thought it was their right to go to University in the early 1980s.

who pays for university? 

Open container laws are just plain stupid. So i can go into a bar, slam two beers, drive away..no issues.

Drink those same two beers in the car..somehow not only can i get a ticket,  I am an evil person!!!

Is it the actual act of drinking a liquid that is the problem? 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Open container laws are just plain stupid. So i can go into a bar, slam two beers, leave..no issues.

Drink those same two beers in the car..somehow not only can i get a ticket,  I am an evil person!!!

Not to mention, why the hell can't a passenger drink? He's not driving, let him drink all he wants as far as I care.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Open container laws are just plain stupid. So i can go into a bar, slam two beers, drive away..no issues.

in 2002 Texas adopted the Open container laws 

prior to the summer of 2002 you could drink, drive and have a loaded shotgun behind your head on the gun rack

which is worse

spill a beer or HOT coffee ......  

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

who pays for university? 

Canadian tuition is a fraction of the US levels.

$6,700 to $13,000 for 2018-19 depending on materials used for courses.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/19/2019 at 6:16 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Only veterans should have a vote.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:23 PM, Gugny said:

This is bad.  The sole reason I got out of the Navy was due to the amount of absolute idiots I was surrounded by (and had to call "sir") every day

He only said veterans should have a vote. He did not say the officers' votes would count.

I was rejected when I applied to both Air Force and Coast Guard. I was told my Air Force recruiter "we would sign pregnant 50 year old males before you" due to a medical condition.  8 years later it was determined that the doctor (someone who went to college yes) made a misdiagnosis and I did not have the medical condition.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:40 PM, snafu said:

Everyone should serve in a branch of the armed forces for a minimum of two years and in peacetime, should be tasked to do public works projects.  No one should be eligible for college admission without certified service.

See my previous post. Applied for and was not allowed to enlist.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He only said veterans should have a vote. He did not say the officers' votes would count.

I was rejected when I applied to both Air Force and Coast Guard. I was told my Air Force recruiter "we would sign pregnant 50 year old males before you" due to a medical condition.  8 years later it was determined that the doctor (someone who went to college yes) made a misdiagnosis and I did not have the medical condition.

See my previous post. Applied for and was not allowed to enlist.

And now you're a senior engineer supervisor.  Dodging the draft was probably the smartest thing you ever did.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

And now you're a senior engineer supervisor.  Dodging the draft was probably the smartest thing you ever did.

I did not dodge the draft, too young for it, although I did sign up for selective service.

If I made the Air Force I think I'd be making more now than I am now.  I would have had college paid for by AF (was planning on going ROTC), would have had health insurance in college ensuring I'd have been treated for illness I had in college for which cost me two years of college, and based on what work AF wanted me for before they asked medical conditions I'd be making more money as well.   

I probably should have gotten a laywer and disputed medical diagnosis or just left it off form but I was too young and naive at the time.

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Forcible rapist should be castrated

Pedophiles/sexual predators should be castrated

Unfortunately legal system is not perfect and there are falsely accused people.  How do you correct such mistakes?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Doesn’t everyone sign up for selective service?

No. Many of the jobs I worked early in career were DoD related but I knew a number of people my age who worked in non DoD fields who didn't. Some were conscientious objectors and some just had the money to not need anything which required signing up.