What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

People arrested for possession (without intent to sell)/use of opioids should go to rehab; not jail.

Forcible rape should be life imprisonment with no parole, if found guilty.

A person who falsely accuses someone of a crime should face the maximum penalty of said crime.

Pedophiles/sexual predators should be sent to prison for life, no parole, as they cannot be rehabilitated.

I believe in pro-choice.

I believe in the right to die.

I think everyone deserves healthcare.

I think more money needs to be spent on preventing people from taking advantage of social services/SNAP/welfare, etc., because there are enough people who truly need it.

I think it's too easy to become a police officer.

I also think policemen and corrections officers are grossly underpaid.

I think letting combat war veterans hold jobs that allow/require them to hold or use firearms is a mistake.

In terms of being contrary to a sizable majority I don't see a lot of controversy listed here.  Now if this was 45 years ago a fair amount of what you said might be controversial.  A pet peeve of mine where lawyers are concerned is some people saying when it comes to lawsuits the loser should pay in terms of frivolous or nuisance suits.  As far as I am concerned often the person with the most money to spend on lawyers wins regardless if right or wrong.

39 minutes ago, snafu said:

Everyone should serve in a branch of the armed forces for a minimum of two years and in peacetime, should be tasked to do public works projects.  No one should be eligible for college admission without certified service.

I've said this as well and it must be controversial as I have seen a lot of fur stand up on end when I have broached that topic.

10 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

If you don't pay taxes, you should not be allowed to vote.

Everyone pays taxes in some form or another

A better argument in my opinion is that a net consumer of public services should not be allowed to vote for additional benefits at the expense of net producers

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Everyone pays taxes in some form or another

A better argument in my opinion is that a net consumer of public services should not be allowed to vote for additional benefits at the expense of net producers

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

Weed should be legalized nationwide for medicinal and recreational use. Controversial, perhaps, given that I'm not exactly left-of-center.

I agree that marijuana use should be legalized.

However I also think that employers should be allowed to discriminate against employees or prospective employees that test positive.  State and Federal agencies should be allowed to deny benefits to applicants or recipients that test positive

People should be free to choose whatever lifestyle they want.  But they should also not be shielded from the consequences of their choices

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

But there are a ton of schools that offer welding degrees, both associates and bachelors...are these not colleges? 

If they are colleges, yes. If they are trade schools, no. It’s as simple as that to me, but I don’t work in higher education. There are definitions for these things. 

A smaller institution that usually offers undergraduate degrees is considered a college. ... In contrast, an institution that offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees is considered a university. They offer undergraduate programs that will lead a student towards a master's degree or a doctorate.

vocational school, sometimes also called a trade school, career center, or vocational college[1], is a type of educational institution, which, depending on the country, may refer to secondary or post-secondary education[2] designed to provide vocational education, or technical skills required to perform the tasks of a particular and specific job. In the case of secondary education, these schools differ from academic high schools which usually prepare students who aim to pursue tertiary education, rather than enter directly into the workforce. With regard to post-secondary education, vocational schools are traditionally distinguished from four-year colleges by their focus on job-specific training to students who are typically bound for one of the skilled trades[3], rather than providing academic training for students pursuing careers in a professional discipline. While many schools have largely adhered to this convention, the purely vocational focus of other trade schools began to shift in the 1990s "toward a broader preparation that develops the academic" as well as technical skills of their students.[4]

To say the lines blurred in the 90’s is a small point. If you look at a trade school and a college, I bet you can tell the difference. And this line of conversation is a complete waste of time for both of us. 

Is it a cat? Or is it a dog? That depends. 

I have nothing against either. 

Enjoy whats left of your weekend! 

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Your opinions aren't controversial, they're just ignorant.

Read and learn...and if you're still relatively young, go to school.

Unfortunately, a certain demographic in our country has decided college is a waste of time which is a really dangerous place to be as a nation.  

http://www.aplu.org/projects-and-initiatives/college-costs-tuition-and-financial-aid/publicuvalues/employment-earnings.html

My opinions are not ignorant, they are based on my experience. Graduated from RIT with a 3.75 grade point average. Spent over 30 years working in both large and small companies (mostly large.) Since companies put a lot of value on education I played the game. But I learned more my first week on the job than in all my schooling. I've also seen what goes in to ISO certifications. All programs get put on hold for two weeks and everyone scrambles to make sure all ducks are in a row for two weeks before an audit. Then everything goes back to normal for 5-1/2 months until the next audit.   

Comfortably retired now for what it's worth.

11 minutes ago, Steve O said:

My opinions are not ignorant, they are based on my experience. Graduated from RIT with a 3.75 grade point average. Spent over 30 years working in both large and small companies (mostly large.) Since companies put a lot of value on education I played the game. But I learned more my first week on the job than in all my schooling. I've also seen what goes in to ISO certifications. All programs get put on hold for two weeks and everyone scrambles to make sure all ducks are in a row for two weeks before an audit. Then everything goes back to normal for 5-1/2 months until the next audit.   

Comfortably retired now for what it's worth.

You are stuck on the notion that college is supposed to equal job training. It's not.  I'm curious about what you've done for 30 years without ever having the value of your education become apparent to you.

The anti-college thing is just a fad;  goes hand in hand with the 'kids have too much homework' movement, which of course is absurd.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Not everyone should be allowed to have children.  There should be a process whereby individuals are able to demonstrate that they will be competent, loving, and responsible caregivers.

And competence tests as you go along?  Have a child can change you radically.

14 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Financial issues are self inflicted.

Not always.  

You are doing great, you get relocated,  you sell and buy a house becyod it.   

3 months later the markets crash with the telecom disaster, you get laid off when  noone is hiring, you can hold off your mortgage, car payments, and medical bills for 9 months and then you lose out all of your investment with a short sale.  

Losing over $50k when all is said and done. 

35 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not always.  

You are doing great, you get relocated,  you sell and buy a house becyod it.   

3 months later the markets crash with the telecom disaster, you get laid off when  noone is hiring, you can hold off your mortgage, car payments, and medical bills for 9 months and then you lose out all of your investment with a short sale.  

Losing over $50k when all is said and done. 

Maybe. But it's still up to you.

But, the self-infliction came when you decided to accept the relocation.  You could have stayed put and found another job.

"Good or bad, baby
You can change it anyway you want
You can rearrange it
Enlightenment, don't know what it is
Chop that wood and carry water
What's the sound of one hand clapping
Enlightenment, don't you know what it is..."

I don't believe college educations are useless by any stretch of the imagination. I just believe that most 17 and 18 year olds aren't mature enough to be given the choice to decide what school they want to go to and what their major that want to pursue. 

I also believe that that there should be a thorough investigation of all private and public college and university trustee boards. I'm sure that theres a lot of graft and waste and price fixing which drives up the cost of an education to sickening levels.