What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

Those earning vs degrees studies fail to mention that most people who choose to go to college are already smarter and more motivated than average. If you were to eliminate college as a choice, an earning gap would still exist with the same demographics.

I remember that one of the speakers at graduation cited a statistic that 50% will NEVER use their degrees. His message was that colleges usher children into the real world by teaching them how to think, instead.- (which used to be a parent's job, but we've destroyed that by compelling two income households).

College used to be a place to gain general knowledge, and to demonstrate your aptitude and motivation, and to prove to a prospective employer that you are a good risk. That model died decades ago. Now college is almost the same as a trade school.  Employers want you to hit the ground running. Sadly, the communication and psychology majors of the world haven’t figured this out yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

College used to be a place to gain general knowledge, and to demonstrate your aptitude and motivation, and to prove to a prospective employer that you are a good risk. That model died decades ago. Now college is almost the same as a trade school.  Employers want you to hit the ground running. Sadly, the communication and psychology majors of the world haven’t figured this out yet. 

Yeah.  I was a business major in college and all I learned about was abstract theories that bore little relevance to the real world.  Schools do kids a giant disfavor by not preaching the communications aspects of working for a company.  It seems everywhere communication is an issue these days 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah.  I was a business major in college and all I learned about was abstract theories that bore little relevance to the real world.  Schools do kids a giant disfavor by not preaching the communications aspects of working for a company.  It seems everywhere communication is an issue these days 

My son graduated with degrees in finance and accounting, plus a Masters in accounting. When he joined one of the big accounting firms they gathered all the first year people together and told them “Don’t worry, we are aware that you don’t know anything.” 

(But without the degree you don’t get in the door.)

College is certainly not for everyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

Man this one is tough for me - putting me in a weird space.

I gotta know ... are you basing this on longevity, verisimilitude, competence, or just overall badassery in the captain’s chair? 

For me, it's a matter of competence.  Picard had a much lower casualty rate among the crew.  Plus Picard was never demoted (Star Trek IV) nor was his voyage cancelled after only three seasons

I was at a luncheon a while back and the speaker was from the economic development commission. He said they could bring more businesses to the area but we don’t have the workers they needed. We have plenty of college educated people looking for jobs, but what they need are welders and electricians, etc. You can have a very nice life doing honest work. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was at a luncheon a while back and the speaker was from the economic development commission. He said they could bring more businesses to the area but we don’t have the workers they needed. We have plenty of college educated people looking for jobs, but what they need are welders and electricians, etc. You can have a very nice life doing honesty work. 

Welders....especially specialty welders can make a damn good living.

• Like (+1) 2