Bucky Brooks Mock Draft

GreggTX

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In your list the best value pick was Milano and obviously the most important pick was Josh Allen. If the Bills can continue to hit on some of their lower picks such as Teller, Foster and Taron Johnson we will get to the required critical mass of players to make this team a competitive team sooner than expected. As you suggested stringing together good drafts rather than having uneven results from your drafts is what will accelerate the its development. 

I wouldn't put Teller on the list. He only played because the other options were terrible, and he actually struggled a lot much of the time he was out there. The jury is way out on him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I wouldn't put Teller on the list. He only played because the other options were terrible, and he actually struggled a lot much of the time he was out there. The jury is way out on him.

Fair enough. But it has to be remembered that he was a fifth round pick who played some of his career in college on defense. So he still has a lot to learn. He was far from being stellar but his play wasn't below the player he replaced. Getting playing time in his rookie year should serve him well entering his next year. 

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Damn!

How could I forget him?

Another fantastic pickup!

Its hilarious reading all these bizaare yet silly opinions lamenting over our 2017 draft selections where by just about any reasonable objective view of our 2 past drafts you couldn't come away thrilled with how things have been unfolding

Totally agree. I have a feeling G, Ike Boetger (spelling?) might turn out to be a serviceable starter also and he was UDFA. 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Fair enough. But it has to be remembered that he was a fifth round pick who played some of his career in college on defense. So he still has a lot to learn. He was far from being stellar but his play wasn't below the player he replaced. Getting playing time in his rookie year should serve him well entering his next year. 

I wouldn’t put any stock on Teller and shouldnt make an decision whether to sign a free agent or draft a guard because of him.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Remember they traded talented players to get a few of these guys and there's that little fact that 2 different gms ran these drafts.

I will go to my grave believing that McDermott used Carolina's draft board that year.

Look at this list of players Carolina met with pre-draft:

https://panthergf.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/2017-draft-prospect-visit-workout-meeting-list/

Tre'Davious White

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Tanner Vallejo

That's our first 3 picks and 1 of our late round picks that met with Carolina. We also traded ahead of Carolina to get Zay Jones, and his college WR coach at ECU was our WR coach that year.

Here's who the Bills had as pre-draft visitors:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/2017_nfl_draft_buffalo_bills_private_workout_and_pre-draft_visitor_list.html

The only match is Nate Peterman.

No way this is just a coincidence. Whaley had nothing to do with that draft. Well maybe he put in a good word for Peterman, it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

In your list the best value pick was Milano and obviously the most important pick was Josh Allen. If the Bills can continue to hit on some of their lower picks such as Teller, Foster and Taron Johnson we will get to the required critical mass of players to make this team a competitive team sooner than expected. As you suggested stringing together good drafts rather than having uneven results from your drafts is what will accelerate the its development. 

Technically Foster was not a draft pick. He was an undrafted free agent. Still a quality pickup, though.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I will go to my grave believing that McDermott used Carolina's draft board that year.

https://panthergf.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/2017-draft-prospect-visit-workout-meeting-list/

Tre'Davious White

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Tanner Vallejo

That's our first 3 picks and 1 of our late round picks that met with Carolina. We also traded ahead of Carolina to get Zay Jones, and his college WR coach at ECU was our WR coach that year.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/2017_nfl_draft_buffalo_bills_private_workout_and_pre-draft_visitor_list.html

No way this is just a coincidence. Whaley had nothing to do with that draft. Well maybe he put in a good word for Peterman, it wouldn't surprise me.

Just cuz you met with players pre-draft doesn't mean they're on their board. ?

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

I'm not at all a fan of Taylor. The guy was a right tackle in college, doesn't that mean he wasn't the best OT on the team? I don't like the idea of taking a RT in the first round. I've only watched his tape on two games and he just doesn't seem to have very good feet and the last thing I want is yet another offensive lineman who can't get out in front of a screen or block in space. I am open to being convinced otherwise but I think Taylor anywhere in the top half of the first is a reach.

Generally I agree Mick but when we drafted Kuondjio, he was a LT at Alabama. I posted on this board that he was the 4th or 5th best blocker that they had, and a poor selection. The RT was DJ Fluker who is still a pretty good NFL Guard.

This aside, you raise a great point and I agree.

1 minute ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Just cuz you met with players pre-draft doesn't mean they're on their board. ?

What's more likely, that McDermott decided to draft 4 players who met with Carolina because he knew what they could do, or that he let the lame duck GM run a draft a day before being fired and Whaley just happened to pick 4 players Carolina was scouting?

I don't get the belief that Whaley ran that draft. If a CEO was going to fire a VP, would he let him make a huge decision about the future of the company the day before he was let go? It isn't sensible and there is plenty of evidence that McDermott was calling the shots based on what he knew from Carolina's scouting.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed.  Right position wrong player - I think it'll be Cajuste when all is said and done.

Cajuste is my favourite OT in the draft. I surprised he isn’t getting first round consideration, but I will happily take him in round 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Magox said:

Whomever this FO drafts I will have faith that they are making the right choice.  I cant remember a time over the past 20 years where we had so many quality starters/prospects in 2 consecutive years of drafts/undrafted rookie prospects chosen.

White

Dawkins

Zay

Milano

Josh Allen

Tremaine Edmund's

Harrison Phillip's

Taron Johnson

Robert Foster

Wyatt Teller

Josh Allen being the most important one of them and thankfully Beane seemingly making the right choice here, just going by their track record and the great scouting staff they have (NFL teams are poaching our guys for a change), I think they are going to end up with another great draft.  And if they are able to have another successful draft then that will surely set this organization up for many contested Division titles over the next decade.

Every team has a list of players like that

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Remember they traded talented players to get a few of these guys and there's that little fact that 2 different gms ran these drafts.

Yup. Two GMs. McDermott ran the first draft, and then Beane.

And yeah they traded talented players. Which has nothing to do with how well they seem, so far, to have picked.

They still have a lot to prove but so far so good in their drafts.

3 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Jawaan Taylor isn’t even good. If you’re going to give us a RT give us Cody Ford at least.

And this is based on ...what?

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. Two GMs. McDermott ran the first draft, and then Beane.

And yeah they traded talented players. Which has nothing to do with how well they seem, so far, to have picked.

They still have a lot to prove but so far so good in their drafts.

I have to agree. They also unloaded some bloated contracts and players who we're not worth the price. I just wish they would have kept Robert Woods 

2 hours ago, Steve O said:

To the dumb point "...Taylor gives them that blind side protector..."

Had to watch a second time to make sure Florida had a right handed quarterback, thought maybe I had missed something.

Yeah, that didn’t help his credibility or demonstrate that this is really his favorite time of the year. It’s just the time that he has to start doing this. Still, I like getting a look at all these guys and educating myself a bit. Unlike some of you guys, I don’t know who the RG is for East Louisiana Tech and why he had a bit of a down year.    ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Tre'Davious White

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Tanner Vallejo

I guess this means you can say McBean are responsible for the past two drafts! I gave McD all the credit in year 1.

6 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Every team has a list of players like that

Yup. All males. Mostly Americans. Athletically talented. But no, there are plenty of teams that aren't particularly happy with their last two drafts. Plenty of teams that haven't showed as much as these guys. 

It's early. A lot to show yet, but it's a promising list.

In comparison, look at Miami, and I'm no big Miami fan but would anyone trade the Bills drafts for these guys?

2018: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Mike Gesicki, Jerome Baker, Durham Smythe, Kalen Ballade, Cornell Armstrong, Quentin Poling, Jason Sanders

2017: Charles Harris, Raekwon McMillan, Corder Tankersley, Isaac Asiata, Davon Godchaux, Vincent Taylor, Isaiah Ford

Or look at Detroit or Tampa. Those were the first three I thought of and they would trade their guys for ours in a second, IMO. I bet plenty of other teams would too in terms of quality. 

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Always appreciate you insight. I did some searching and came across this thread on a falcons board. Thoughts? https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4067311-ot-jawaan-taylor/

Thanks Dave.  He sounds like what we need most.  Many, however and without any elaboration, are saying he's not good enough for number 9.  Wonder what other teams think (not that we'll know before the draft).  Perhaps trading down a few spots makes sense.  Perhaps we'll still get him (and more).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Technically Foster was not a draft pick. He was an undrafted free agent. Still a quality pickup, though.

He came out of that draft class. And relative to how he was acquired he was a good bargain.