The Underappreciated Genius of Chan Gailey

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah, that was hard to watch.

If good guys made great head coaches he and Dick Jauron would be in Canton.

...regardless, his only shot is that Chinese CANTONese province....this guy was the face of Mortuary Science curriculum.....his pressers made wakes look like Mardi Gras............

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember Chan's second season started out great. 

Went into KC and laid a major beatdown on the Chiefs.

Won a shootout at home against the Raiders.

Finally ended the losing streak against NE after being down 21-0.

Then the rest of the season happened. 

13Qg.gif

I liked his personality and he was a very good OC but the defense totally tanked when he was HC and him not giving a rats a$$ about that side of the ball was a major factor, IMO. He was also oddly committed to Fitz when they should have been looking for a franchise QB.

Edited by vincec

22 minutes ago, The Jerk said:

13Qg.gif

Awesome game. David Nelson seemed to fire up the team. Got a break when FredEx didn't get the TD because I know damn well what would have happened if we gave the ball back to Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I always liked Chan as an OC.  He got a lot out of what he had.

I did as well...would have liked to see how he did with actual weapons here...

Chan was highly regarded by Cowher as well saying how he was able to use what was available any given week even when a lot of pieces were missing.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Awesome game. David Nelson seemed to fire up the team. Got a break when FredEx didn't get the TD because I know damn well what would have happened if we gave the ball back to Brady.

I remember Belichick trying to argue with the refs that it was a TD. 

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I tend to believe Nix and Gailey thought they could win with Fitz after 2010...,

I tend to believe Beane and McDermott thought they could win with Peterman after training camp 2018.  

Amazing how that thought popped into my head just as I read BillsVet’s posting.  ?

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I did as well...would have liked to see how he did with actual weapons here...

Chan was highly regarded by Cowher as well saying how he was able to use what was available any given week even when a lot of pieces were missing.

god call..."The Chin" advocated "The Chan......made poor choices for DC's though IMO...

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

OK.  I think they needed to make a switch at defensive coordinator, but not head coach.  I don't mind people disagreeing at all though.

How many chances are you going to give Chan to pick a defensive coordinator when you are winning 6 games a year?  He already fired one and replaced him with Wannstedt.

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Dave Wannestadt was Gailey's undoing in Buffalo. I wonder what those teams would have been like with Jim Schwartz. Wanny was the worst defensive coordinator I've ever seen and that's saying something. Defense would never make adjustments, never blitz, rarely even played nickel. Just the worst.

That’s not necessarily true.  Chan had three years in Buffalo and Wannstedt was only his defensive coordinator during his last season. I can agree with - he didn’t come through. 

He decided to retain George Edwards after one terrible season and that was his undoing.

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

How many chances are you going to give Chan to pick a defensive coordinator when you are winning 6 games a year?  He already fired one and replaced him with Wannstedt.

That’s not necessarily true.  Chan had three years in Buffalo and Wannstedt was only his defensive coordinator during his last season. I can agree with - he didn’t come through. 

He decided to retain George Edwards after one terrible season and that was his undoing.

I mean that's kind of my point. Wanny was pretty much his last shot to pick a DC and he failed miserably. Had he been able to find a legit DC, things could have gone differently in year 3. Water under the gate, but I have a lot of respect for Gailey. He deserved to be fired, but he's a class act all the way.

2 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

He never had a defense. He had a GM and FO that was atrocious at evaluating talent. 

He was ahead of his time in terms of scheme and vision for the game. He had ZERO talent on his roster. 

I loved Gailey. His “you dog one of us, you dog us all” comment was on point. I would have loved to see what he could have done with Manuel. If only they would have given him a chance. 

Chan also has no idea how to find someone to run the defense well.  He hired 2 defensive coordinators who were dreadful.  

In terms of talent, I would disagree there.  The Bills had brought in Mario Williams, they had Kyle Williams, Marcel and many of the same players who helped make the Bills defense better in 2013 and 2014.

Chan would have gotten nothing out of EJ, considering he was not a very good QB.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I mean that's kind of my point. Wanny was pretty much his last shot to pick a DC and he failed miserably. Had he been able to find a legit DC, things could have gone differently in year 3. Water under the gate, but I have a lot of respect for Gailey. He deserved to be fired, but he's a class act all the way.

Yeah a very good guy and I really felt bad for him when he was fired.

55 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I tend to believe Beane and McDermott thought they could win with Peterman after training camp 2018.  

Amazing how that thought popped into my head just as I read BillsVet’s posting.  ?

Except, McBeane had another option in 2018 with Allen.  Chan and Buddy did not acquire anyone other than what they inherited in 2010-11.  That is, unless you count Tyler Thigpen.  

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, a brilliant OC.

Undermined as an HC by a flawed personnel acquisition staff. And probably a bad DC as well.

OP, thanks for posting, it was a good article. Amazing to think their two top QBs were Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard ... and then both got injured and they had to go even further down the depth chart ... and did pretty well on offense. I mean, after the top two were out and they put in Thigpen and the new offense they went from 257 YPG to 340. That's insane. In those days making that leap was going from 31st in the league to 16th ... by installing a new offense mid-year with Thigpen as your QB.

And now we see how very influential all that stuff has become.

Again, thanks, OP.

No, look at the stats. It worked very well. Most of his carries were direct snaps and he averaged 4.4 and 8.3 YPC in his two years here. Not a lot of carries. I think one of the main reasons they ran him was to give defenses yet more to prepare for, to make the Bills harder and much more time-consuming to game-plan for.

Hey, thanks for looking that up. So I guess we could say Brad Smith was infrequently used, but reasonably effective when he was. I stand corrected.

18 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Except, McBeane had another option in 2018 with Allen.  Chan and Buddy did not acquire anyone other than what they inherited in 2010-11.  That is, unless you count Tyler Thigpen.  

Curious that Chan didn't get a chance to develop an offense around a running QB here, especially given that that's what he did (out of an emergency) with Thigpen in KC. They did give him a chubby and rusty Vince Young, but I guess that's not what he had in mind. There were guys out there to build a more college concept offense around, but maybe that short stretch of FitzMagic ruined all that?  I'd love to be able to turn back the clock and see what Chan could've done with a different type of QB.

18 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Nice article in The Ringer about Chan's Chiefs, c. 2008:  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/18/18188064/kansas-city-chiefs-10-year-challenge-afc-championship

Chan's offense(s) just plain worked, at least better than most of the alternatives. I think I was the only person clamoring for him to start Tyler Thigpen with the Bills in 2011-12. I remember Chan stuck him in for one play in a game situation that mattered: he rolled right in some kind of option and completed a short pass. Hey, back then that was enough to inspire faith in me.  

Chan on how he came to use college tactics in an NFL offense back in 2008:

“We lost our two QBs,” Chiefs third-string quarterback Tyler Thigpen remembers offensive coordinator Chan Gailey telling the team in a meeting. “Tyler is our guy, and moving forward, hey, we’re going to try to build an offense that’s best for him.”  The 6-foot-3 Thigpen played quarterback in a wing-T offense in high school and in a spread offense at Coastal Carolina. The Chiefs signed him in 2007 from the Vikings, who were attempting to put him on their practice squad. With Thigpen as the starter, the Chiefs’ offense was in shotgun almost all of the time. It switched to wristband play-calling so it could run more plays from no-huddle, and Thigpen ran read-option-type plays, utilizing running backs Jamaal Charles and Larry Johnson while he ran out of the shotgun or pistol formation. The receivers, including Tony Gonzalez and Dwayne Bowe, would spread the field to offer a passing threat. These wrinkles are routine in modern NFL playbooks, but they were not in 2008. And the Chiefs players had to answer a lot of questions about them.

“The most frustrating part was the questions from the media. They’d say, ‘You can’t run shotgun all the time’ and ‘You can’t run the spread,’” said Thigpen. “I knew eventually the game would evolve to that.”

He did good in Buffalo considering Fitz and Stevie were 7th Round picks and Freddie Jackson was undrafted.

3 hours ago, The Jerk said:

13Qg.gif

I was at KC and in Buffalo for both games. KC is a great away game to visit.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Agreed, although I think the hope of the FO and coaching staff was Allen would see little to no action, and spend the year learning...not pulling the Bills’ bacon out of the fire.