Marshawn Lynch on Bill Maher's TV Show Tonight on HBO

Nextmanup

7 hours ago, Tcali said:

yeah it was really 'DUMB' running over that girl then taking off and hiding. 

and how they rarely criticize some guy with zero accomplishments who becomes prez as well....

Well pick your adjective then if you want to overblow it. I said it was dumb, as in, not smart. You’re probably a pretty smart guy have you ever done anything really dumb and, dare I say, illegal? I have. Not proud of it but not afraid to admit it either.

the holier than thou act is played out though. 

When will people realize political debates between party loyalists in this day and age are pointless.   No one ever gives an inch.  Everybody feels they know the real story and the opposition is evil and a con.  

The fact is both parties have some value, but both parties have huge issues.   Both value being in power more than working to improve our country.  I wish there was a viable third option.   Our political system is a mess.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

When will people realize political debates between party loyalists in this day and age are pointless.   No one ever gives an inch.  Everybody feels they know the real story and the opposition is evil and a con.  

The fact is both parties have some value, but both parties have huge issues.   Both value being in power more than working to improve our country.  I wish there was a viable third option.   Our political system is a mess.

If I may return the conversation to the actual thread title...

I agree with most of what you have written here.  I very religiously watch Bill Maher's show on HBO.  The quality of each show varies dramatically, based on who the panel is.  When Bill gets the right people on there, who are not career political types, the show can be outstanding and very high minded.

But when the panel is made up of paid political talking heads who argue politics on TV for a living, the show looks like any other American political show, meaning, it's not worth watching.

I agree that our political system is a mess. Also, there is no real diversity among the Republicans and Democrats regarding important issues affecting most people in this country.  They are both opposite sides of the same coin, and that coin is owned by corporate America and billionaires.  The Oligarchs that have ended America as a democracy.

The entire system is corrupt now.  The Greeks who invented all this stuff predicted it and explained the cyclical process involved. 

We are on our way to anarchy, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

The richest 62 individuals in the world have as much wealth as the bottom half of the planet.

America is a microcosm of the same problem.

I'm sure that won't end badly.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If I may return the conversation to the actual thread title...

I agree with most of what you have written here.  I very religiously watch Bill Maher's show on HBO.  The quality of each show varies dramatically, based on who the panel is.  When Bill gets the right people on there, who are not career political types, the show can be outstanding and very high minded.

But when the panel is made up of paid political talking heads who argue politics on TV for a living, the show looks like any other American political show, meaning, it's not worth watching.

I agree that our political system is a mess. Also, there is no real diversity among the Republicans and Democrats regarding important issues affecting most people in this country.  They are both opposite sides of the same coin, and that coin is owned by corporate America and billionaires.  The Oligarchs that have ended America as a democracy.

The entire system is corrupt now.  The Greeks who invented all this stuff predicted it and explained the cyclical process involved. 

We are on our way to anarchy, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

The richest 62 individuals in the world have as much wealth as the bottom half of the planet.

America is a microcosm of the same problem.

I'm sure that won't end badly.

It has always been that way.  So you are saying redistribute the wealth???  Workers of the world, unite!!!

9 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Well said.  It’s embarrassing how angry people get arguing over a system which has one more choice than a dictatorship.  So dumb.  It’s bloods and the crips for dorks.

if one of the first things you state about yourself is your policial party, you’re probably a huge tool. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

It has always been that way.  So you are saying redistribute the wealth???  Workers of the world, unite!!!

It hasn't always been that way... before the Industrial Revolution here, it wasn't even close. America WAS truly the land of opportunity... until the Industrial Revolution!

Can't stand it that in the 21st Century people just say stuff without even any legitimate supported facts to outright lying as the Orange Cheeto does on a regular basis...

"Before the industrial revolution, wealth gaps between countries were modest: income per person in the world’s ten richest countries was only six times higher than that in the ten poorest. But within each country the distribution of income was skewed. In most places a small elite lorded it over a mass of peasants. There was little social mobility except, as Elizabeth found, through marriage. Colonial America was an exception to this feudal sclerosis. Research by Peter Lindert and Jeffrey Williamson shows that on the eve of the American revolution incomes in the 13 colonies that formed the United States were more equal than in virtually “any other place on the planet”."

https://www.economist.com/special-report/2012/10/13/as-you-were

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

It has not always been this disproportionate. Not even close. The consolidation of wealth is teetering at the point where the entire thing will eventually collapse. But laissez faire all the way! Not sure if solutions even exist so it is what it is.

I'll stay on topic. I watched the show and found Marshawn to be a useless guest. He was out of his element and Maher was clearly disappointed that he was unable to bring anything substantive. I assume he's a funny guy when he's in his element. This was not it.

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

How charitable for the guy who hit a pedestrian at 2am and took off...

You can be a bad guy and do good things at the same time.  Hell, Ted Bundy saved lives working on the suicide hotline before his killing spree.  Hitler was an animal rights activist.  Sudaam provided free health care and education.

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It hasn't always been that way... before the Industrial Revolution here, it wasn't even close. America WAS truly the land of opportunity... until the Industrial Revolution!

Can't stand it that in the 21st Century people just say stuff without even any legitimate supported facts to outright lying as the Orange Cheeto does on a regular basis...

"Before the industrial revolution, wealth gaps between countries were modest: income per person in the world’s ten richest countries was only six times higher than that in the ten poorest. But within each country the distribution of income was skewed. In most places a small elite lorded it over a mass of peasants. There was little social mobility except, as Elizabeth found, through marriage. Colonial America was an exception to this feudal sclerosis. Research by Peter Lindert and Jeffrey Williamson shows that on the eve of the American revolution incomes in the 13 colonies that formed the United States were more equal than in virtually “any other place on the planet”."

https://www.economist.com/special-report/2012/10/13/as-you-were

This goes back to my original point.   Arguing politics is pointless.   We both have the right to our opinions.  I respect your views.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, the skycap said:

Why?? Because the Republican establishment and Russians put out a multitude of lies about her ie the sex trafficking pizza parlor!?!

Hillary wouldn't have us in a shutdown

Yeah, but then we wouldn’t have a border wall on Mexico’s tab.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1