NFL Stadiums Then and Now

TSNBDSC

I watched the first 3 and concluded the stadiums haven't changed much but staged photography has made incredible leaps and bounds.

Amazing how there are only grainy, black and white pictures of empty stadiums available from the dark ages of the late 1990s.  <_<

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I watched the first 3 and concluded the stadiums haven't changed much but staged photography has made incredible leaps and bounds.

Amazing how there are only grainy, black and white pictures of empty stadiums available from the dark ages of the late 1990s.  <_<

NO KIDDING! That wasn’t about stadiums as much as photography! Did they pick terrible “before” pictures on purpose? 

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

NO KIDDING! That wasn’t about stadiums as much as photography! Did they pick terrible “before” pictures on purpose? 

Apparently.  

Clickbait is bad enough, but fake news clickbait is inexcusable!!

The original shot of Soldier Field is architecturally stunning; looks like something from Ancient Rome.

The new one is unrecognizable as Soldier Field; that place has been ruined.

I'm sure it's a more comfy place for corporate sponsors to hang out in, though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Cool.  But the Bears didn't play at Soldier Field in 1924.  The Bears played at Wrigley Field and to this day have played more games @ Wrigley than anywhere else.  

In believe Cardinals mostly played at Comiskey & few @ Soldier.

Nobody played @ (really) Old Soldier, except for a few games here and there.

Bears started at Soldier around 1970.  They should have shown than progression, but that's (Soldier Field progression) is a video in itself!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The original shot of Soldier Field is architecturally stunning; looks like something from Ancient Rome.

The new one is unrecognizable as Soldier Field; that place has been ruined.

I'm sure it's a more comfy place for corporate sponsors to hang out in, though.

You're right about Soldier Field but they saved most of the facade when it was remodeled.  The old field looked a lot like the LA Coliseum AND our beloved Rock Pile.  I don't know if it's ruined but they has to reconfigure to put seats closer to the field.

ABC couldn't do MNF there till the mid 70's because the lights were so inadequate.

8 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

You're right about Soldier Field but they saved most of the facade when it was remodeled.  The old field looked a lot like the LA Coliseum AND our beloved Rock Pile.  I don't know if it's ruined but they has to reconfigure to put seats closer to the field.

ABC couldn't do MNF there till the mid 70's because the lights were so inadequate.

Yes, I know.  The columns and facades on either sideline are still there, but the overall architectural design is ruined.

Well, that's an opinion of course, but it's a completely different structure now.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Cool.  But the Bears didn't play at Soldier Field in 1924.  The Bears played at Wrigley Field and to this day have played more games @ Wrigley than anywhere else.  

Bears started at Soldier around 1970.  They should have shown than progression, but that's (Soldier Field progression) is a video in itself!

Wrigley Field and the neighborhood all around it has to be one of the coolest sports stadium environments on the planet.  It's definitely the best ball park in this country, and that includes Fenway, and I'm a huge Red Sox fan.

It would be totally cool watching a football game at Wrigley, though I would imagine a lot of the sight lines were pretty crappy!  But for raw ambience and atmosphere, it must have been great.

42 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes, I know.  The columns and facades on either sideline are still there, but the overall architectural design is ruined.

Well, that's an opinion of course, but it's a completely different structure now.

Wrigley Field and the neighborhood all around it has to be one of the coolest sports stadium environments on the planet.  It's definitely the best ball park in this country, and that includes Fenway, and I'm a huge Red Sox fan.

It would be totally cool watching a football game at Wrigley, though I would imagine a lot of the sight lines were pretty crappy!  But for raw ambience and atmosphere, it must have been great.

They just had a College Bowl at Wrigley there a few years ago.  Player safety is compromised now.  One endzone too tight.  For the bowl game, offense only went in one direction, towards one endzone.  I assume Wrigley after the Bears left was configured more baseball only.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

1971, I did not know this, thanks Exiled!!

Wrigley held the most regular season NFL games for a stadium until the Giants/Jets shared The Meadowlands.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... I didn't know that.  But NY is cheating sharing two teams, two stadiums! There is a game there every week!

I was living on Cheekwood Dr. the day Simpson broke the rushing record...it was at Shea Stadium..the Giants played at Yankee stadium.So many teams shared stadiums back then..the A's and Raiders being the last?

17 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I was living on Cheekwood Dr. the day Simpson broke the rushing record...it was at Shea Stadium..the Giants played at Yankee stadium.So many teams shared stadiums back then..the A's and Raiders being the last?

Sure... But not in same sport.

Bears played @ Wrigley and were the NorthSide team.  Cardinals at Comiskey (few @ Soldier) were the SouthSide football team.

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... I didn't know that.  But NY is cheating sharing two teams, two stadiums! There is a game there every week!

When Namath was with the Jets they had to play on the road until the Mets season was done at Shea. 

So in 1969 the Jets played the first 5 of 14 on the road and in 1973 played the first 6 on the road during Mets World Series appearances