Not really a weak draft for QBs - likely Trade Down opportunities

We have been constantly hearing 2019 will be a weak draft for QBs. But almost any mock I look at has four QBs going in the first round - Haskins, Jones, Murray and Lock.

I remember Wentz / Goff were also projected to go later in the first but by the time the draft came round they went 1 and 2. A year later, teams drafting QBs in the first round (Trubisky, Mahomes!! and Watson) have come off well - despite mocks in January projecting these guys to be taken much later. And the rookies last year  have done fine and re-energized their respective franchises.

Given the recent positive experience with rookie QBs, I predict an early run on QBs this year too with Denver, NYG, Miami, Jacksonville & Washington (maybe Arizona too) all wanting QBs and it will likely take moving into the top 10 to get any of em. Dammit - why did we have to win that meaningless Miami game in Week 17?

What does that mean for us? Trade Down Baby!! and get a WR, OL and DL in the first two rounds with an extra 1st or second next year.

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We have been constantly hearing 2019 will be a weak draft for QBs. But almost any mock I look at has four QBs going in the first round - Haskins, Jones, Murray and Lock.

I remember Wentz / Goff were also projected to go later in the first but by the time the draft came round they went 1 and 2. A year later, teams drafting QBs in the first round (Trubisky, Mahomes!! and Watson) have come off well - despite mocks in January projecting these guys to be taken much later. And the rookies last year  have done fine and re-energized their respective franchises.

Given the recent positive experience with rookie QBs, I predict an early run on QBs this year too with Denver, NYG, Miami, Jacksonville & Washington (maybe Arizona too) all wanting QBs and it will likely take moving into the top 10 to get any of em. Dammit - why did we have to win that meaningless Miami game in Week 17?

What does that mean for us? Trade Down Baby!! and get a WR, OL and DL in the first two rounds with an extra 1st or second next year.

I'm thinking three first round QB's in Haskins, Lock and Jones of Duke.  Murray is wildcard as his dynamic plsymaking but size limitations and possible baseball choice make him a "buyer beware" kind of guy you may not want to risk your first round pick.

Assume Flacco will fill one of the teams needs.  Thinking Dolphins have too many holes to risk a QB and may be looking at buildingbthe roster, eating a bad year and looking for a QB in 2020.

Leaving QB needy teams to Broncos, Giants, Jaguars and Redskins.  Flacco taking one spot, Tannehill possibly another.

Giants and Jags ahead of Bills in the draft order, my thought is Jags move ahead of Giants, trade with Bucs to go from 7 to 5.  Giants grab BPA and see if a QB like Murray falls to them in 2nd round.  Broncos and Redskins left, thinking Flacco goes to skins and Broncos can stay where they are and get 2nd QB of their choice as I think Haskins is going to Jags.

Hence, no real trade down for Bills due to QB needs, our best bet is Falcons at 14 looking for big DT need.

13 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We have been constantly hearing 2019 will be a weak draft for QBs. But almost any mock I look at has four QBs going in the first round - Haskins, Jones, Murray and Lock..

It is a weak QB draft. All 4 of those are weaker than all the top 4 last year. That Jones is being talked about in round 1 is laughable. There hasn't been a QB in years who screams career backup more than Jones

What’s even better is that this draft is deep at the top on defense.  So that means QBs will slide to our pick too most likely putting us in a really good spot for teams (like Washington) to move up and get their QB without giving up an RG3 or Wentz like Bounty.  

So I think we will potentially have a lot of interest in our pick, and as I sit here now I think there is a strong chance we trade with Washington.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Leaving QB needy teams to Broncos, Giants, Jaguars and Redskins.  Flacco taking one spot, Tannehill possibly another.

I will disagree with you there. Dont think either Flacco or Tannehill will be attractive to any of the teams as a first option.

2 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

It is a weak QB draft. All 4 of those are weaker than all the top 4 last year. That Jones is being talked about in round 1 is laughable. There hasn't been a QB in years who screams career backup more than Jones

These 4 might be objectively weaker than last year's big 4 - but that is not the point of my post. I only mean weaker in terms of draft position relative to last year. All I am saying is that teams might find them good enough to trade into the top 10 or 12 to get them.

Being one spot in front of Denver may be an advantage.  If some team really likes a kid they may try to leapfrog the Broncos.  I don't think we trade with the Fins being in our division, but you never know.  Some teams with aging quarterbacks may make a suprise move and look to move up to draft their QB for the future such as the Redskins, Chargers, and Saints.  Kind of like when the Chiefs moved up for Mahomes.  Just brought that up in case anybody forgot that we could've had Mahomes.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

in case anybody forgot that we could've had Mahomes.

This is the funniest thing I ever read on this board ? 

Besides Denver, NYG, Miami, Jacksonville, Washington and Arizona (for Murray), there are also rumors suggesting TB might part ways with Jameis WInston and the Raiders may want to move on from Derek Carr. That makes it 8 teams having some interest in drafting a QB. I think if Arizona drafts Murray at #1, all bets are off and we will definitely trade down.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25727321

Tampa and Colts got some serious boosts from trading back last year, and they still got Quentin Nelson and Tampa got Vita Vea.   On top of that they picked up massive draft capital.  Tampa took two excellent corners in the second round with our picks.

Also remember two years at this times most mocks had Mahomes as 2nd or 3rd rounder.   QB's will definitely shoot up the boards before April.    Teams get crazy over QB's.

I'm praying for a tradeback.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

It's still a little early on the mock draft front.

Once the Super Bowl is over, the media will start putting more resources into draft coverage.  They will start diving into game film, and begin talking to NFL scouts to see what they really think.  That's when some of these QB prospects start sliding in the mock drafts.

I'm not sold yet that an NFL franchise will invest a Top-10 pick into Kyler Murray.  We all know how GMs shy away from short quarterbacks.  Much less one that hasn't 100% committed to playing this sport.

With that said - It would be really nice if some trade-down possibilities present themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Besides Denver, NYG, Miami, Jacksonville, Washington and Arizona (for Murray), there are also rumors suggesting TB might part ways with Jameis WInston and the Raiders may want to move on from Derek Carr. That makes it 8 teams having some interest in drafting a QB. I think if Arizona drafts Murray at #1, all bets are off and we will definitely trade down.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25727321

Arizona isn't taking Murray.  That was a college coach saying something nice about an opponent last fall and getting blown out of proportion the moment he was hired.

Tampa also isn't taking QB early, they brought Arians in to work with Jamies in a vertical offense, which should fit his skill set.

There's speculation here locally the Bengals may be looking at a QB too, Dalton's contract is coming up and the team has all but officially hired Zac Taylor as their new coach, who has worked with Tannehill in the past.  The Cincy sports guy on the radio this morning was saying there's some real feelings on trading Dalton now when they can, bring in Tanny has a FA and draft the QB of the future.

Oakland / Gruden I wouldn't rule out from doing anything.

Denver / NYG / Miami / Jacksonville / Washington are all certainly in play, though there's speculation of Denver trading for Nick Mullens from San Fran after they hired San Fran's QB coach as their OC.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Being one spot in front of Denver may be an advantage.  If some team really likes a kid they may try to leapfrog the Broncos.  I don't think we trade with the Fins being in our division, but you never know.  Some teams with aging quarterbacks may make a suprise move and look to move up to draft their QB for the future such as the Redskins, Chargers, and Saints.  Kind of like when the Chiefs moved up for Mahomes.  Just brought that up in case anybody forgot that we could've had Mahomes.

I hope you are kidding. We lucked out. Not only did we get the better QB, but we also got Edmonds and White. 

The closer it gets to the draft the more the run on quarterbacks will go. 

In a league where you have to have a franchise quarterback plenty of teams will jump in. Although 9 isn’t ideal it’s not a bad spot as others have said with Denver behind. 

Best case scenario only one quarterback is taken in the top 8, then someone will sell that farm to jump in front of Denver and we can fleece Elway for even more picks if they don’t add someone in free agency 

Quarterbacks always get over drafted. That's good for us if we want to trade down.

I'm rooting for all the QB's to put on good performances at the combine, workouts, senior bowl, pro days, etc.

4 hours ago, gjv001 said:

I hope you are kidding. We lucked out. Not only did we get the better QB, but we also got Edmonds and White. 

50 TDs and AFC championship game his first season playing ??   

Sign me me up for that over a MLB and a CB

Edited by CaptnCoke11

7 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Goff was always considered very highly ranked.

Wentz played at a small school, so it took things like the Senior Bowl and interviews to show that he belonged.

"Plenty of quarterback prospects from small schools have found success in the NFL, but they lean on the pre-draft process to prove themselves. The start of Wentz's meteoric rise in NFL Draft circles really happened at the Senior Bowl. In January, Wentz went down to Mobile, Ala. on a mission to prove he belonged despite playing in the FCS. He approached the week of practices at the Senior Bowl knowing he had the mental makeup to fit in. His size, 6’5, made him stand out even next to players from Alabama and Clemson who had just recently played for the FBS national title. The issue was whether the speed of the game would catch up and ultimately overtake Wentz. It didn’t. He looked as comfortable as any quarterback there and quickly showed off his leadership. When the North team did warmups, it was often Wentz leading the way. He was the one directing players, and giving encouragement after a blown play. He was doing all the little things you see the best quarterbacks in the NFL doing."

"'I think about a month ago, Carson Wentz was an idle curiosity, a I-AA kid from North Dakota State,' draft analyst Mike Mayock said on NFL Network. 'He went to the Senior Bowl, confirmed his status as a top-tier quarterback, came to the Combine and I think had the cleanest workout of anybody in terms of arm strength, his feet looked good, he showed his athletic ability. For my money, he made some money.'"

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2016/4/21/11477652/jared-goff-carson-wentz-2016-nfl-draft

Not the same thing as this year at all. None of these guys are coming out of nowhere from North Dakota State. This really is a pretty weak draft for QBs. It's not as weak as 2013, but it's not a good year.

And while trading down could happen, this isn't the year when it's an obvious likelihood.

This year the numbers for us can come from free agency. We're in good cap shape for the first time in a very long time.

What they need from the draft this year is core guys, impact guys. And the odds on getting that kind of guy usually drop as you trade down. I'm nearly always hoping for a trade down. Not so much this year.

If a QB or two does slide above us, it will hopefully push down a real impact player to us.

Edited by Thurman#1