For the Record (book) - Josh Allen's impressive rookie season

12 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Every team has the same amount of cap money.  The Bills (nor anyone else) have a meaningful financial advantage.  The teams that win are the one's that get "more bang for the buck", in other words players who produce more than they take up in cap space (Brady's below market contracts are a huge part of the Patriots advantage over the years).  So far, the current Bills management has not shown a propensity to find players in either the draft nor free agency who outperform their cap hit. 

When you have 70 million in dead cap you are at an disadvantage even if it is completely self inflicted. Most of that 70 million was absorbed by the offense this past year. Next year we should have more proven talent on the offense.

17 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Could anyone really have done much better than he did with what he was given (or not given) around him, especially as a rookie?

It was extremely impressive. I love Josh. He has holes in his game sure, some glaring , but his energy , natural leadership, swag ,heart and competiveness are contagious and those are intangibles that equate to winning that you can't teach. I mean He went 5-5 in games he started n finished . I believe he wins that Houston game too , which could have made him 6-5. Very impressive with that supporting cast. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

When you have 70 million in dead cap you are at an disadvantage even if it is completely self inflicted. Most of that 70 million was absorbed by the offense this past year. Next year we should have more proven talent on the offense.

It wont matter if our top paid offensive players play below expectations, like they did last year. 

19 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Every team has the same amount of cap money.  The Bills (nor anyone else) have a meaningful financial advantage.  The teams that win are the one's that get "more bang for the buck", in other words players who produce more than they take up in cap space (Brady's below market contracts are a huge part of the Patriots advantage over the years).  So far, the current Bills management has not shown a propensity to find players in either the draft nor free agency who outperform their cap hit. 

Bills had the lowest ACTIVE cap in the NFL by a wide margin. We were the only team under 120 mil because as a poster above me pointed out , the dead money ,by design . So yes we were at a big disadvantage in terms of cap space in 2018. For reference , Jax had the most expensive active cap at around 180 mil , big difference. 2019 we're going to have an influx of talent

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Bills had the lowest ACTIVE cap in the NFL by a wide margin. We were the only team under 120 mil because as a poster above me pointed out , the dead money ,by design . So yes we were at a big disadvantage in terms of cap space in 2018. For reference , Jax had the most expensive active cap at around 180 mil , big difference. 2019 we're going to have an influx of talent

Take this example.  Do you think the Bills will have a more cost effective online than the colts next year ? The fact that the colts have good cost effective players now is not a handicap for them. 

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

I get the hype, but I think that’s a stretch.  He did well in spots and not so well in others.  I think he’s shown the signs that he can get there. 

He’s not Manning yet....

Agreed. Josh has all the things you can’t coach! Size, arm strength, speed, confidence and a burning desire to play the position! A leader! 

Now he is learning the rest. I’ve seen enough improvement to think he will get there. Don’t think that he has been exposed to a lot of good coaching other than at Wyoming. He needs to be more like Manning , consistent and football smart! We will see.

Still love watching him play!

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Put it a different way.  I agree that the 2019 Bills ought to be better than the 2018 Bills.  I am 100%  certain the 2018 Bills will not be on the  schedule.  If we want to win a playoff game next year, then the 2019 Bills need to be better than at least one of these teams 2019 Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Colts, Texans, Chargers, Browns.    That is 8 teams as good as or better than the Bills now, who also all plan to get better next year. 

16 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Put it a different way.  I agree that the 2019 Bills ought to be better than the 2018 Bills.  I am 100%  certain the 2018 Bills will not be on the  schedule.  If we want to win a playoff game next year, then the 2019 Bills need to be better than at least one of these teams 2019 Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Colts, Texans, Chargers, Browns.    That is 8 teams as good as or better than the Bills now, who also all plan to get better next year. 

I really don't know those teams cap and FA situations good enough to even have a valid opinion. I do know my Bills have young ,legit talent scattered throughout the team, close to 90 mil in cap, 10 picks , including a top 10 and only suffered one key loss (Kyle) , all I know is we are sitting pretty and the future looks extremely bright. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I really don't know those teams cap and FA situations good enough to even have a valid opinion. I do know my Bills have young ,legit talent scattered throughout the team, close to 90 mil in cap, 10 picks , including a top 10 and only suffered one key loss (Kyle) , all I know is we are sitting pretty and the future looks extremely bright. 

Did you see the final regular season standings in 2018.  Lots of teams a lot better than the Bills now. We need to pass them, 

18 hours ago, Idandria said:

I don’t think it’s good to have your QB be your top rusher. That needs to be fixed. Allen needs to stand tall in the pocket and throw.

Let Shady do the running. 

I will say however, it was quite entertaining watching Josh run wild week in and week out. 

We all saw what veteran Derek Anderson was cabable of ?

I agree I dont want allen running as much either but I also think Shady's best days are behind him, using him selectively, esp in passing as he is a smart and good blocker and good receiver in space.

A light went off for Allen after the injury and bye week. It didn't exactly show up in his raw passing stats and numbers, yards, percentage etc. But you can tell the game had slowed down for him. The number of sacks he took dropped significantly. He saw things better. He was realizing when to use his legs. If he can win 5 games as a rookie completing 53% of his passes then it's not too hard to imagine him winning 9+ consistently when he gets the number up to 59-60%. In terms of a passer I think he is going to be a lot like Cam Newton. We will be frustrated at times with his inconstancy but at the end of the day, he'll have the talent to win 12-14 games and put together an MVP type season. He just won't ever be a 62%+ completion guy consistently. 

Here Josh, we know your not quite ready for the NFL yet but we're going to put you in to start Game 2.  Your the QB so we want you to throw the ball but don't expect those guys to get open or catch your passes.  And we'll put in some running backs with you but don't expect them to run, so you'll have to do that yourself too.  Now, go out there and get'em! 

On 1/18/2019 at 4:10 PM, Idandria said:

I don’t think it’s good to have your QB be your top rusher. That needs to be fixed. Allen needs to stand tall in the pocket and throw.

Let Shady do the running. 

I will say however, it was quite entertaining watching Josh run wild week in and week out. 

We all saw what veteran Derek Anderson was cabable of ?

Talking about STARTING NFL QB’s 

helloooo 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2019 at 2:34 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Could anyone really have done much better than he did with what he was given (or not given) around him, especially as a rookie?

This is right out of the Bills PR-Playbook.

Don’t have any results to sell, so you start selling hype. 

Somehow I think they’ll just omit any “highlights” from Green Bay and New England. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is right out of the Bills PR-Playbook.

Don’t have any results to sell, so you start selling hype. 

Somehow I think they’ll just omit any “highlights” from Green Bay and New England. 

Is this in response to the OP?  If so. LOL. 

Shirley you jest?

Josh was breaking records all season long.

He tied or broke many franchise records.   That is a FACT and not fluff.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Is this in response to the OP?  If so. LOL. 

Shirley you jest?

Josh was breaking records all season long.

He tied or broke many franchise records.   That is a FACT and not fluff.  

But but but everyone says he’s accuracy sucks 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

But but but everyone says he’s accuracy sucks 

Yea and Allen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if he was trying to.  You want proof of this?  Remember after running for a 30 yard TD against Miami in the last game?  Well Allen looked like he was going to throw the ball into the stands to a deserving fan but he didn't and you know why?  He didn't trust his ability to get the ball to a fan even in a sea of fans! 

And if you slow down the video and look closely at his footwork in the end zone it sucked and his upper body throwing mechanics wern't all that great either.  Anyone who knows metrics could see he wasn't going to get the ball to a fan with those throwing mechanics.  Now I know the usual Allen apologists and Bills homers will respond and say that Allen was scrambling for his life from his own team mates trying to congratulate him on the TD but I say enough with the excuses - you don't see Mahomes making them do you!  And if Rosen had run 30 yards for a TD his awful O-line would have been all over him to and yet he would have easily hit a fan in the stands. 

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yea and Allen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if he was trying to.  You want proof of this?  Remember after running for a 30 yard TD against Miami in the last game?  Well Allen looked like he was going to throw the ball into the stands to a deserving fan but he didn't and you know why?  He didn't trust his ability to get the ball to a fan even in a sea of fans! 

And if you slow down the video and look closely at his footwork in the end zone it sucked and his upper body throwing mechanics wern't all that great either.  Anyone who knows metrics could see he wasn't going to get the ball to a fan with those throwing mechanics.  Now I know the usual Allen apologists and Bills homers will respond and say that Allen was scrambling for his life from his own team mates trying to congratulate him on the TD but I say enough with the excuses - you don't see Mahomes making them do you!  And if Rosen had run 30 yards for a TD his awful O-line would have been all over him to and yet he would have easily hit a fan in the stands. 

No I didn’t see Mahomes making them , maybe it’s because he was sitting behind a legitimate STARTING NFL QB and LEARNING his rookie year ???? 

And if Rosen  COULD run 30 yards =  maybe the  pigs could fly 

Edited by Putin

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

My sarcasm meter is vacillating.  

Can’t tell if it’s sarc or not.