For the Record (book) - Josh Allen's impressive rookie season

40 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I get the hype, but I think that’s a stretch.  He did well in spots and not so well in others.  I think he’s shown the signs that he can get there. 

He’s not Manning yet....

Put him in the Patriots offense with BB calling the plays. So he's gotta make the same hand offs, dump offs, and screen passes as Brady. Is he in the AFC championship this year?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Josh Allen: Bills are 'looking to build something special'

Veteran linebacker Lorenzo Alexander believes the Buffalo Bills have the talent to place themselves in position to do "something special" in 2019.

Quarterback Josh Allen, who will enter his second season under center, agrees emphatically with Alexander's projection.

"One-hundred percent," Allen said, via the Buffalo News. "I think, if you look at this past year, we weren't all that far off from being there this year.

I'd say there were a few games that got away from us, but for the most part, you can change four or five plays and the season might be a different story. So I definitely agree with him."

To Lorenzo's comment.........no.....but with the talent they have and a general lack of free agents to lose + the STACK of chips they have this offseason there is no excuse for them not to be good next season.

To Allen's take.......dead wrong.

The better teams on the schedule were in the first 2 months..........when they were repeatedly bludgeoned.

As the schedule got MUCH easier in the final two months........the Bills were naturally more competitive.

But the Patriots put their modest second-half success into perspective with a THOROUGH man-handling in week 16.

Gotta' admire Allen's optimism and you want that in your young QB......but they were by no means "close".......every team that made the playoffs would have thoroughly beaten the late-season Bills on a neutral site.  ANY of them.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

To Lorenzo's comment.........no.....but with the talent they have and a general lack of free agents to lose + the STACK of chips they have this offseason there is no excuse for them not to be good next season.

The better teams on the schedule were in the first 2 months..........when they were repeatedly bludgeoned.

As the schedule got MUCH easier in the final two months........the Bills were naturally more competitive.

But the Patriots put their modest second-half success into perspective with a THOROUGH man-handling in week 16.

Gotta' admire Allen's optimism and you want that in your young QB......but they were by no means "close".......every team that made the playoffs would have thoroughly beaten the late-season Bills on a neutral site.  ANY of them.

The Bills played 7 games against playoff teams: the Pats twice, the Ravens, the Bears, the Chargers, the Texans, and the Colts. They were curb-stomped in every one of those games except against the Texans, but they mitigated for that by losing in epically pathetic fashion.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

PS: The two teams who choked at home in the final game of the season and hence missed the playoffs -- the Vikings and Titans -- had one constant: they lost to the Bills. It was clearly a sign that they weren't good enough!

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Could anyone really have done much better than he did with what he was given (or not given) around him, especially as a rookie?

I doubt half of veterans QB’s  could have done more ( with this offense) 

Edited by Putin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I get the hype, but I think that’s a stretch.  He did well in spots and not so well in others.  I think he’s shown the signs that he can get there. 

He’s not Manning yet....

Manning wasn't Manning after his rookie year, either.  Manning wasn't even Allen.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

He’s not Manning yet....

Of course not...Manning couldn't run.

Also in their respective first years Allen won more games, even though he started less.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Who would have predicted our leading rusher would be josh Allen.

I wil bet this is the first time the bills ever the same player lead in both rushing and passing.  I dont think Flutie ever did, might be wrong.

I don’t think it’s good to have your QB be your top rusher. That needs to be fixed. Allen needs to stand tall in the pocket and throw.

Let Shady do the running. 

I will say however, it was quite entertaining watching Josh run wild week in and week out. 

1 hour ago, Putin said:

I doubt half of veterans QB’s  could have done more ( with this offense) 

We all saw what veteran Derek Anderson was cabable of ?

• Like (+1) 1

Have to say, if Allen doesn't pan out and ends up being another dud ala Losman or EJ, I'll not only be really disappointed but also really surprised.

Thinking back to how I felt about guys like JP and EJ, I think the most I ever thought with them was that they could be decent QBs who might start for a number of seasons. As we've said before, it's the eyeball test. Allen just has something about him. It's not just his play on the field (because God knows he made enough mistakes as a rookie), but his attitude off it, how he looks on the sideline, how he reacts after a big play, how he seems able to shake off a bad play and come right back on the next drive and do something really good.

I was reading the report today about him saying he believes the Bills are building something special and even though history tells me to be cautious, I can't help but feel the same way. Can't wait for FA and the draft.

• Like (+1) 4

Allen’s play this year was far from perfect but there is something about him that inspires optimism..

It’s certainly a different feeling then watching other QB’s the Bills have had out there the past decade...

I don’t know.. maybe I want to believe too much, and I’m seeing something that isn’t there,( a lot of the “experts” certainly don’t see it),  but for Pete’s sake, get him some blockers and receivers so we can see what he is really capable of..

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Just think, Kelvin Benjamin might end up with a ring this year, hope like hell he does (meaning Brady wont get to the SB).

So much for what i was always taught about hard work and effort and you wil be rewarded, the laziest player I can recall for a long time in the playoffs.

He's on the team, but it's not like he's doing anything. Pretty sure he was inactive last week.

For the record i was a mayfield or rosen guy before the draft. I was so pissed we took JA i blazed myself to sleep. Then i watched a bunch of games and got over it. He didnt light the league up but he def showed he can win, showed he can develop, grow, and learn from past mistakes in game situations. 

He also showed the intangible qualities of leadership grit and foolish courage playing hero ball. 

He stood up to Jalen Ramsey and shut his dumbass mouth.

Theres a lot for Bills fans to cheer for. Futures bright.

Time will tell but its looking good, the trajectory is up if you look at the season.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Could anyone really have done much better than he did with what he was given (or not given) around him, especially as a rookie?

sorry i replied without reading further but, agree 100%. how many times did he carry this team on his back win or lose? i am so amped for this offseason. if he gets some good protection, i think he can be deadly not to mention i think the accuracy thing goes out da winda...imo. 

i would like to see a more timing thing and getting the ball out quicker, but that comes with experience and wrs that get separation....plus if he gets a clean pocket...we get to see some bombs. yum!

i have no idea where they will go in free agency but, i bet they'll build a good line and draft impact players.

• Like (+1) 1

Looking this team from a financial perspective our top paid offensive players are shady, KB and clay who all played well below expectations. We spent no money on offensive line also. This team has the most important part i think in Allen and they need to build around him and can quickly with tje cash and draft capital we have.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Looking this team from a financial perspective our top paid offensive players are shady, KB and clay who all played well below expectations. We spent no money on offensive line also. This team has the most important part i think in Allen and they need to build around him and can quickly with tje cash and draft capital we have.

Every team has the same amount of cap money.  The Bills (nor anyone else) have a meaningful financial advantage.  The teams that win are the one's that get "more bang for the buck", in other words players who produce more than they take up in cap space (Brady's below market contracts are a huge part of the Patriots advantage over the years).  So far, the current Bills management has not shown a propensity to find players in either the draft nor free agency who outperform their cap hit.