If you could add ANY former (non QB) Bill in history to this team now who would it be

Alphadawg7

Bruce may have been the best pass rusher of all time.  

But OJ is probably the greatest football player at any position I've seen in my 60 years on earth.  In his prime, he looked like a NFLer playing against junior college kids.   

Let's look at peak productivity...  

In OJ's best season - back when defenses schemed more to stop the run than the pass -  OJ had an incredible 75% more yards than the #2 guy.  OJ rushed for 2,003 yards in that season (1973) - next best total was 1,144.  And that was in the 1970s when the best athletes in America wanted to be running backs, unlike today.  

Bruce, on the other hand, never led the NFL in sacks.  Not once.  He was very good for a very long time, but at his peak he was not as dominant as OJ.  

Maybe Bruce is a better pick in this exercise because he'd contribute for more seasons.  But OJ would make the biggest immediate impact.  His talent was other worldly.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, fridge said:

How could it not be Bruce Smith? I mean... he changed the outcomes of games. I see the need to add an offensive guy based on our team, but having Bruce would have meant we would have closed out the close games we lost.

Bruce was awesome.  But OJ changed the outcome of more games than Bruce.  

Our defense wasn't good in those years and Fergie didn't put a lot of fear in the defenses we faced.  So opponents went up against the Bills with one overwhelming priority: stop OJ.  If they stopped OJ, they would win.  It was that simple.  Yet OJ averaged 112 yards per game in his prime five years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Kent Hull, without question.  Second choice, Will Wolford.  Hull was not only the best center ever for the Bills, but one of the best ever in the NFL.  He was the key to their offense, and any player from that era would say the same.  Great O lines start with the center.  Great offense start with OL.  

Edited by FLFan
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

Original Bills fan here, Dubenion made Jack Kemp a championship QB.  Stretched the field so that all the dink and dunk was available, also meant they couldn't stack the box to stop Cookie.

Also Billy Shaw was a beast.

Edited by BearNorth

12 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

Robert Woods. He’s a hard worker, he’s maybe not great any anything but he’s pretty good at everything you would ask from a WR, and he’s still productive in the league. All these other guys people are mentioning are way too old.

2 pages ago called and wants their joke back lol.  You’re late to the party with this angle :nana:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

Robert Woods. He’s a hard worker, he’s maybe not great any anything but he’s pretty good at everything you would ask from a WR, and he’s still productive in the league. All these other guys people are mentioning are way too old.

So you are assuming this question requires them to play at their current age rather than in their prime. Seriously? 

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

So you are assuming this question requires them to play at their current age rather than in their prime. Seriously? 

Well yeah, unless you have a time machine or GPS directions to the fountain of youth you’d like to share. How else could they go on the current team but at their current age?

5 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Because clearly all of our discussions here are grounded in reality...

Not really, and sure it’s fun to daydream about josh Allen teaming up with our hof running backs and receivers while Bruce rips Tom Brady’s head off, but it’s kind of easy and to me it was more interesting and challenging to think about who could actually come in and contribute in their current condition that I would actually want back. Other than Woods the only people I could think of were Jason Peters, or Kyle unretiring.