Anyone have a nice watch?

Kirby Jackson

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Say you're out skiing, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn (not code), etc... You don't want to whip it out (not code again) your phone. A handy cheap watch under the gauntlet of your glove really is practical!  Skiing I always clip my phone to a paracord (survial, chain knotted to enable extra length) neck lariat... This way you don't drop your phone off lift.

There is just no way in hell a cellphone is more practical than a basic wristwatch.

The cell phone has replaced......almost everything. Practical or not regarding watches.  It’s your Swiss Army knife of tools. It’s your phone, your watch, your calculator, email, flash light, encyclopedia to ost of the knowledge in the history of mankind, music and news source, camera, photo album, map, guidance system, weather center.....you name it. A watch is not too much to bother with, but neither is any single one of the above. In aggregate, the phone is king. 

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

The cell phone has replaced......almost everything. Practical or not regarding watches.  It’s your Swiss Army knife of tools. It’s your phone, your watch, your calculator, email, flash light, encyclopedia to ost of the knowledge in the history of mankind, music and news source, camera, photo album, map, guidance system, weather center.....you name it. A watch is not too much to bother with, but neither is any single one of the above. In aggregate, the phone is king. 

Yeah... But you don't want to have to dig a phone out while working or playing.  I can see why a smartwatch linked to your phone would be handy.  Better yet, just surgically implant the phone in my eyes and ears... And keyboard can be pressing fingers in the air, gestures for control.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But you don't want to have to dig a phone out while working or playing.  I can see why a smartwatch linked to your phone would be handy.  Better yet, just surgically implant the phone in my eyes and ears... And keyboard can be pressing fingers in the air, gestures for control.

That has to be months away! Who can wait that long for anything? 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

Funny story, one of my watches stopped working. I keep it in my closet and had no idea how long since I had worn it, but it was dead when I went to wear it. OK, batteries died. After a few days I take it to the watch place at the mall to replace the battery. As I get to the mall the watch is ticking along! In the light of the mall, as opposed to my dark closet, I realize the very fine print says it’s a solar watch. Oops! 

My wife has shown my son an over the top diamond watch her mother owned. She took him to our safe deposit box and put him on for access. He will almost certainly be engaged before too long.  If it’s over the top for my wife to wear, it certainly over the top for someone three decades younger. SHE would never sell it, but they can either make something new out of it, or sell it for $$$ if things ever hit the fan. Seriously doubt that could ever happen with those two, but it never hurts. Hope it lasts many more generations! 

Edited by Augie

I'm a huge horological enthusiast.  I have had and currently have many nice watches, all with mechanical movements.

Not sure what your budget is, Kirby Jackson, but Rolex is a great brand that holds its value extremely well, particularly as compared to many other expensive brands like Breitling.  

Don't buy a TAG Heuer.

Have a look at the Omega Speedmaster moon watch; it's a timeless classic for about half the price of entry level Rolexes if Rolex is out of the budget.  If Rolex is not out of the budget, check out a no date Submariner, a GMT, or an Explorer II.

These are all solid suggestions for a nice, first, serious watch.

• Thank you (+1) 2

You can get a very fancy-looking smartwatch with the latest chipset for $1K if you use Android. 

Smartwatches are just so convenient and the styling has gotten much better, at least with Android. They learned that it doesn't need to look like a fitness tracker. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife has shown my son an over the top diamond watch her mother owned. She took him to our safe deposit box and put him on for access. He will almost certainly be engaged before too long.  If it’s over the top for my wife to wear, it certainly over the top for someone three decades younger. SHE would never sell it, but they can either make something new out of it, or sell it for $$$ if things ever hit the fan. Seriously doubt that could ever happen with those two, but it never hurts. Hope it lasts many more generations! 

I have a buddy who was in the army and ended up becoming a ranger. They gave him a Rolex because the thinking is if ***** hit the fan, no matter where in the world he is,  people recognize the brand and he could either sell it or barter with it if need be.

15 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I have a buddy who was in the army and ended up becoming a ranger. They gave him a Rolex because the thinking is if ***** hit the fan, no matter where in the world he is,  people recognize the brand and he could either sell it or barter with it if need be.

I just picture a lot of Army Rangers losing Rolexes...

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Say you're out skiing, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn (not code), etc... You don't want to whip it out (not code again) your phone. A handy cheap watch under the gauntlet of your glove really is practical!  Skiing I always clip my phone to a paracord (survial, chain knotted to enable extra length) neck lariat... This way you don't drop your phone off lift.

There is just no way in hell a cellphone is more practical than a basic wristwatch.

when I'm out doing those things the only one I would worry about time is how long it took to shovel snow.  

I haven't been skiing since 1990.     Not many cell phones could fit in your pocket back then.  You knew it was time to leave when the lifts close down.  

Mowing the lawn counter to the motto (It’s now how fast you mow, It’s how well you mow fast!) - I enjoy my John Deere and actually mow slow to enjoy it.  I'll even mow my neighbors yard. 

10 hours ago, mead107 said:

A watch?   Sell the ring and buy hookers.  

Why a watch? 

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Geez, you’re slipping.  This had a self serving plug built right in.

Sell the ring and buy meadcoins ....  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I say casio calculator watch......

Honestly I have never been big into watches. As a kid i had some Timex Indiglo watches. My grandmother bought me a gold watch for either my communion or confirmation, i cant remember. It was always too big for me so I never wore it but still have it in a drawer. Otherwise I have a nice one I got as a wedding party gift from my sisters wedding. For the last little while I was wearing a fitbit which was nice sinked to my phone getting messages. Before the smartphone and smart watches, I did occasional wear watches for a year or 2, I had 2 fossil ones. I liked the wider wristbands that came with them. They had cool backgrounds that did things, like one had a robot that danced. Doubt anyones Rolex does that.......

Here's a watch story involving my dad.  He was a watch guy -- not super expensive watches, but he always wore one.  He had one or two nice ones he wore to work, and then one he wore on the weekends around the house -- he called it his "garden watch" because he could work in the yard, etc., and not worry about it.

So one Christmas my mom decides to buy him a really nice watch.  Probably several hundred dollars, which back in the 80s was a big deal and my parents weren't "rich."

It's Christmas morning and we (my sister and I) know about the present and we're all excited as my dad opens it.  He looks at the watch, looks at my mom, and says (completely straight-faced) "but I told you I needed a new garden watch."

Mom cried, we looked at each other like "WTF just happened," and my dad spent the rest of Christmas trying to get out of the dog house.  We laughed about it for years afterwards, but at the time it was hardly funny.  :lol:

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Get a pocket watch if you want to look all chic and impress clients.

image.png.935f62cdddb5bf9997102f21e7d926a6.png

And a monocle. 

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm a huge horological enthusiast.  I have had and currently have many nice watches, all with mechanical movements.

Not sure what your budget is, Kirby Jackson, but Rolex is a great brand that holds its value extremely well, particularly as compared to many other expensive brands like Breitling.  

Don't buy a TAG Heuer.

Have a look at the Omega Speedmaster moon watch; it's a timeless classic for about half the price of entry level Rolexes if Rolex is out of the budget.  If Rolex is not out of the budget, check out a no date Submariner, a GMT, or an Explorer II.

No, no, we’re telling him to become a whorologist.

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Patek Philippe... or go for something cheaper but more readily known like a Rolex.

man sitting next to me at a meeting had a nice one on last week

i wasn't in the mood to strike up a conversation about it this time

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm a huge horological enthusiast.  I have had and currently have many nice watches, all with mechanical movements.

Don't buy a TAG Heuer.

Omega speedy moons are now out there as automatic, the oldies (and mine) are me-winding

Edited by row_33