Anyone have a nice watch?

Kirby Jackson

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes the “sweeping seconds” is the sign of a higher end watch.  I have a $300 Citizen that is radio-controlled and solar-powered that has a “deadbeat second” hand.  

it's my only tip for people, it's let me quietly nod when a Rolex is presented with a quartz battery-operating tick of a second-hand.

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's my only tip for people, it's let me quietly nod when a Rolex is presented with a quartz battery-operating tick of a second-hand.

Yup.  That's a dead giveaway to a fake high-end watch.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

I have my grail watch in the Omega, plus a much enjoyed Swiss-movement Tissot Heritage Sovereign (the cookie) that ticks with the heart of a lion, and a Ticino Pilot-B (Miyota movement) gem for fun.

A store in my area used to sell good watches at grey-market prices :D

and i cashed in well until they one day disappeared  :(

Does this mean he was at store when he wasn't at the bus station?

I have a Rolex 116710blnr. Over the years I’ve had quite a few nice watches. 

In the current marketplace, because Rolex is ostensibly trying to move more upmarket and compete direct with Patek and Audemars, steel Rolex offerings are tough to get. Anyone you find, save for perhaps an Explorer 2 and maybe the Milgauss, you can probably flip for at least $1000 over msrp. 

I don’t like Patek or Audemars. About three years ago I had a pp 5711 that I sold about 8 months later for a profit. They’re haute horlogerie and nothing more - exquisite movements and marginally finer finishing relative to Rolex. With that said, you can get just as fine of finishing and a more precise movement from a Hi-Beat Grand Seiko (not to be confused with regular Seiko - Grand Seiko is it’s own brand with a $5000 point of entry). 

All in all, I’ll stick with Rolex. It holds its value incredibly well compared to any other brand. They have robust case and movements with predictable time tolerances (my blnr is +1.4 seconds a day like clockwork). 

I had a moonwatch. When it was still 3570.xxx. I sold it after about a year. Amazing history of course. However I hated hand winding it and the hesalite crystal is scratch magnet (but to be fair so too are the pcls on my Oyster bracelet). The bracelet I felt was dinky and it ran +9 seconds a day which, since there isn’t cosc governance for hand wind movements, was ok within Omega advertised tolerance but not to my liking. 

If you want Rolex r&d, familial tie, and a watch that will likely appreciate over time but with a cheaper entry point, buy a Tudor. I’d recommend a Black Bay. The new Black Bay gmt is a stunner if you can find it. 

But a Rolex Sub, gmt, and Explorer are watches that you can get for less than $10,000 that will hold value well and provide you with a few lifetimes of good horological companionship. 

Good luck. 

41 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

I have a Rolex 116710blnr. Over the years I’ve had quite a few nice watches. 

In the current marketplace, because Rolex is ostensibly trying to move more upmarket and compete direct with Patek and Audemars, steel Rolex offerings are tough to get. Anyone you find, save for perhaps an Explorer 2 and maybe the Milgauss, you can probably flip for at least $1000 over msrp. 

I don’t like Patek or Audemars. About three years ago I had a pp 5711 that I sold about 8 months later for a profit. They’re haute horlogerie and nothing more - exquisite movements and marginally finer finishing relative to Rolex. With that said, you can get just as fine of finishing and a more precise movement from a Hi-Beat Grand Seiko (not to be confused with regular Seiko - Grand Seiko is it’s own brand with a $5000 point of entry). 

All in all, I’ll stick with Rolex. It holds its value incredibly well compared to any other brand. They have robust case and movements with predictable time tolerances (my blnr is +1.4 seconds a day like clockwork). 

I had a moonwatch. When it was still 3570.xxx. I sold it after about a year. Amazing history of course. However I hated hand winding it and the hesalite crystal is scratch magnet (but to be fair so too are the pcls on my Oyster bracelet). The bracelet I felt was dinky and it ran +9 seconds a day which, since there isn’t cosc governance for hand wind movements, was ok within Omega advertised tolerance but not to my liking. 

If you want Rolex r&d, familial tie, and a watch that will likely appreciate over time but with a cheaper entry point, buy a Tudor. I’d recommend a Black Bay. The new Black Bay gmt is a stunner if you can find it. 

But a Rolex Sub, gmt, and Explorer are watches that you can get for less than $10,000 that will hold value well and provide you with a few lifetimes of good horological companionship. 

Good luck. 

Lots of good stuff here. I have the 116610 Submariner. Also have a Panerai 176, although I don't wear it often as it is hand-wound rather than automatic. 

Completely agree on the Tudor recommendation. I really like the  Heritage Black Bay Dark. Rolex bloodlines but an entry point in the high 2K - low 3K range.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:20 AM, row_33 said:

man sitting next to me at a meeting had a nice one on last week

i wasn't in the mood to strike up a conversation about it this time

Omega speedy moons are now out there as automatic, the oldies (and mine) are me-winding

Yes, I know.  As the Speedmaster has grown in popularity over the years, Omega has brought out countless iterations.

The one to get, IMO,  is manual winding, solid case back, with the hesalite crystal.

I have one in my collection. 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:38 AM, LeviF91 said:

Does anybody actually read the thread body?  The perception of success is what Kirby is going for.  So (expensive) brand recognition is important.  Like it or not, unless you're a watch enthusiast or avid GQ reader the name "Breitling" isn't going to impress you. 

If Kirby's meeting with 70 year old men...sure go for a classic like an Omega or something.  Don't want anything too flashy then.  For everyone else it's names that come up in rap songs, like it or not.  Same with cars.

On the contrary, Breitling is super widely known these days and every Jackass and his brother wandering around the shopping mall is wearing one, which is one reason why I tend to avoid them.

You are discounting Breitling's massive brand recognition value.

Where your point would hold, IMO, is with Holy Trinity type watches that cost as much as fancy cars...but which would not be known by your average punter who isn't into fine watches.

I'm talking stuff like Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, and Jaeger LeCoultre.  

If you want to impress watch enthusiasts, wear a tourbillon movement from one of the classic watch houses.

If you want to impress Joe Jackass, a TAG Heuer will probably work just fine.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

On the contrary, Breitling is super widely known these days and every Jackass and his brother wandering around the shopping mall is wearing one, which is one reason why I tend to avoid them.

You are discounting Breitling's massive brand recognition value.

Where your point would hold, IMO, is with Holy Trinity type watches that cost as much as fancy cars...but which would not be known by your average punter who isn't into fine watches.

I'm talking stuff like Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, and Jaeger LeCoultre.  

If you want to impress watch enthusiasts, wear a tourbillon movement from one of the classic watch houses.

If you want to impress Joe Jackass, a TAG Heuer will probably work just fine.

Re: Breitling, guess I'm not paying enough attention. 

18 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Can anyone recommend a watch, under $100, that would impress the ladies.

Calculator watch. ***** love nerds now and it signals your income potential as an engineer. 

6 hours ago, BillsFanCRNA said:

Lots of good stuff here. I have the 116610 Submariner. Also have a Panerai 176, although I don't wear it often as it is hand-wound rather than automatic. 

Completely agree on the Tudor recommendation. I really like the  Heritage Black Bay Dark. Rolex bloodlines but an entry point in the high 2K - low 3K range.

I looked up the Submariner, good taste. 

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Can anyone recommend a watch, under $100, that would impress the ladies.

Rotary.  

EDIT:  I just noticed my Cambridge model is now $195.  I must have been lucky.  And no, the jeweller didn’t have three on each arm.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

I have an omega speed master, and a Rolex explorer 2,  both of which have been mentioned. Love them, and wear them both on the regular. 

Fun fact...I didn’t buy either. Both were gifts.  The omega was a graduation gift, and the Rolex was a gift from someone I did quite a bit of work for and didn’t charge them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have a $320 Citizen titanium atomic-time, solar-powered watch. Most expensive watch I’ve ever owned. Don’t ever have to set time, wind it or change battery. Looks great and get a lot of compliments. 

Edited by Doc

I’ll admit I didn’t read through the whole thread. But what do you expect your budget to be? 

Depending on price and availability, it could change things a lot. But assuming a decent ring for trade in, I’d say go with an Omega.