Anyone have a nice watch?

Kirby Jackson

As some of you know I broke off my engagement about a couple of months ago. I did take the ring back. I’m not sure what the move is there but I feel pretty good about it. At any rate, I’m thinking about trading it for a nice watch. I don’t really need a nice watch but as shallow as this sounds I think it helps in my line of work. If I’m going to meet with these prospects and have a nice watch on it gives off a perception of success (not a failed engagement ha ha). Does anyone have a nice watch that they love or regret purchasing? 

I like mechanical watches. Not a fan of any of the new age electronic stuff. I dont know what you paid for the ring, but I've always liked Breitling watches. I have a hard time justifying ever buying one, but I've always found them the most aesthetically pleasing.  I wear Citizens for every day activities and have a nice Rado that my mother in- law gave me when me and my wife started dating that I wear on special occasions. 

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As some of you know I broke off my engagement about a couple of months ago. I did take the ring back. I’m not sure what the move is there but I feel pretty good about it. At any rate, I’m thinking about trading it for a nice watch. I don’t really need a nice watch but as shallow as this sounds I think it helps in my line of work. If I’m going to meet with these prospects and have a nice watch on it gives off a perception of success (not a failed engagement ha ha). Does anyone have a nice watch that they love or regret purchasing? 

My brother does, he is in corporate finance and dresses the part. The last time I used a watch I was a kid. I have a gold pocket watch from 1800s that I don't ever carry around.

47 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I like mechanical watches. Not a fan of any of the new age electronic stuff. I dont know what you paid for the ring, but I've always liked Breitling watches. I have a hard time justifying ever buying one, but I've always found them the most aesthetically pleasing.  I wear Citizens for every day activities and have a nice Rado that my mother in- law gave me when me and my wife started dating that I wear on special occasions. 

13 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

My brother does, he is in corporate finance and dresses the part. The last time I used a watch I was a kid. I have a gold pocket watch from 1800s that I don't ever carry around.

Yeah, I’ve never been a watch guy. My friend’s dad owns a couple of jewlers (not sure if that’s the right tense). I just talked to her because they do pre-owned rolexes. I’m trying to just make a straight trade, this ring for a watch. She said her dad would hook me up but who knows. I really want to get this thing out of here and I know that just selling it will result in pennies on the dollar. The research I’ve done says to expect 50% of what you paid at most. If that’s the case I’d rather take a watch that’s 50 to 70% (retail) of what I paid.

I also think it could be an investment. They hold their value and it may help me in sales. When meeting with CEO’s and owner’s there is something to “looking the part.” It may be a sub-conscious thing but I think it helps. 

It is not something that I need but I’d rather have that than a little money that I just bleed away on nonsense.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have a Shinola.  Nice company from Detroit.  I've never been a metal band guy, so they're a bit more subtle with the leather band.  I think they're a nice looking piece without breaking the bank.  

• Like (+1) 1

I used to wear a watch. The cell phone has replaced them among most age groups. Millennials wear them some for fashion. My wife has some statistics on this that were fascinating. Having said that, I have a couple decent watches. When I’m attending an “event” and want to feel I’ve “dressed up”, I’ll usually wear one of them. I get it Kirby. It’s like top Realtors always drive the fancy car to project success. It CAN matter to some people. 

It’s not super pricey (yes 5-600 but not thousands) or super fancy but I have a martenero that I like day to day. A few of them are over the top but they have some clean looks too. They used to let you customize a lot too. Its been a solid mechanical that I don’t have to be totally paranoid about messing up 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That's a better reason than most. Me, it's not my thing. Really not into any bling other than my wedding ring.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Spend the ring money buying hookers and blow for the prospects; they’ll be even more impressed.

I have a very nice Tag I bought about 15 years ago.  Don’t wear it much anymore.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Also.  We have out phones to tell time.  

Watches are almost outdated 

Buy a nice toy instead 

Say you're out skiing, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn (not code), etc... You don't want to whip it out (not code again) your phone. A handy cheap watch under the gauntlet of your glove really is practical!  Skiing I always clip my phone to a paracord (survial, chain knotted to enable extra length) neck lariat... This way you don't drop your phone off lift.

There is just no way in hell a cellphone is more practical than a basic wristwatch.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois