Who were the most UNDERUTILIZED Bills in history

PUNT750

My vote is for Steve Tasker.  When he came from Houston he was a KR/WR and ST's player.  He became one of the greatest Special Team Players in the history of the NFL.

BUT, should he been more involved as a wide receiver??   Kelley always said he was the best receiver as to route running, quick cuts and catching the ball in practice.  He personally requested to the staff that Steve get naps at WR.

Until 1995 he didn't have more than 2 receptions per year in his career.  In 1996 at the age of  34 he had 21 catches for an 17.7 yard average as the Bills Super Bowl teams of the past faded.  I can't believe he couldn't have helped in the Super Bowls when Kelly was blitzed constantly and he needed a WR as a go-to-man for quick, precise patterns.  He would have been our Hogan or Edelman.  Thurman was covered like a blanket and couldn't be that man.

Any other Bills on your mind that could have done more for the team ?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

My vote is for Steve Tasker.  When he came from Houston he was a KR/WR and ST's player.  He became one of the greatest Special Team Players in the history of the NFL.

BUT, should he been more involved as a wide receiver??   Kelley always said he was the best receiver as to route running, quick cuts and catching the ball in practice.  He personally requested to the staff that Steve get naps at WR.

Until 1995 he didn't have more than 2 receptions per year in his career.  In 1996 at the age of  34 he had 21 catches for an 17.7 yard average as the Bills Super Bowl teams of the past faded.  I can't believe he couldn't have helped in the Super Bowls when Kelly was blitzed constantly and he needed a WR as a go-to-man for quick, precise patterns.  He would have been our Hogan or Edelman.  Thurman was covered like a blanket and couldn't be that man.

Good topic, but Tasker was anything but underutilized. He played a ton. He wasn't the best WR, and didn't see a ton of action at that position, but he played a lot of snaps in his career 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PUNT750 said:

Tasker was oft-injured as a WR, which is why his numbers were so modest there.

My vote?  Roosevelt Leaks, although the argument can be made that the Bills got the most out of his knees, which were shot.  HM Butch Rolle.  After he dropped his last play action TD, he never caught another pass for the Bills.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

All of Bills history covers a lot of turf, but I think 1 guy I would’ve liked too see more of was Nic Harris.

A lot of injuries to LBs in 2009 and he finally got a chance to play in week 16.  He tore it up, was everywhere, then got an acl towards the end of the game.

Got cut in camp (not recovered), caught on with NC for a year, then was out of football.

Had his moment, but it was way too quick.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Funny, when I saw the thread title I immediately thought of Tasker.

He could have been a Wes Welker type guy I think.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's probably recency bias... but Robert Woods? 

Dont agree with Tasker at all. He maxed out his abilities, he wasn't a good WR in my opinion. 

CJ Spiller to an extent could be one. He had a confusing career in terms of trying to explain why it was what it was.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It's probably recency bias... but Robert Woods? 

Dont agree with Tasker at all. He maxed out his abilities, he wasn't a good WR in my opinion. 

CJ Spiller to an extent could be one. He had a confusing career in terms of trying to explain why it was what it was.

Tasker was a good receiver.

Spiller deserved to be underutilized.

Frank Reich makes a case, but he wasn't going to move ahead of Kelly, as Kenny Davis wasn't going to start instead of Thomas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1