The NFL's Obesity Scourge

notwoz

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

True, but once you add those extra pounds, it gets so much harder to take them off. Not only that, but as my doctor says, "Taking the extra pounds off is the easy part. Keeping them off is a real challenge. Your body naturally seeks it's highest weight."

I should add that taking the extra pounds off isn't easy at all. I lost nearly 50 lbs within the last 2 years and put it all back on. I had to just stay hungry all the time to lose that weight. It was driving me crazy being so hungry all the time.

I wish the article had some statistics. Like if aging OL were more likely to be obese than the average Joe. I'd say most former big boys have the metabolism that makes them struggle to get weight off moreso than a normal dude. 

Then again they have loads more time than I do to work out and eat healthy

Instead of cherry picking some sad stories i didn't catch anything in the article to say anything about this being more common for NFL players, although I'm sure that's somewhat statistically true.

I bet it comes down to if players that get to the trenches at that high level are there because they have relative ease to maintain a fat *** playing weight or if it's unrelated and guys like Woods and Joe Thomas are just as likely to be successful artificially blowing up to playing weight against their natural metabolism

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

45 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

If you’re going to have that conversation you need to mention Joe Thomas. He looked great just a few months after hanging up the cleats. 

Him too!  So it's possible guys can be healthier after they retire...

30 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I've been careful to say the entire collective group of NFL athletes get paid less than NBA and MLB athletes as a percentage of revenue. It's really the only league I'd argue justifies getting paid more and having more guaranteed than the other major leagues due to health risks.

Taking into account how they compare with compensation to other leagues and the relative danger they play through, they just have a crappy union. I'm not going to keep going back to pretending professional athletes are in the same stratosphere to other professions. It's obviously a very different life style. Just comparing them with other professional team sports leagues.

Collectively, the NFL players are payed 6 billion a year.  That's twice what NBA players are paid.   For both, it's about half of league revenue.

Even if NFL players got 100% of all league revenue, their average salary would be 4.2 million a year.  That's far less than the CURRENT NBA salary of 7.4 million.

Because the NFL is paying 4 times as many athletes, the numbers could never ever be comparable.

As an aside, I ran into Melvin Fowler at a grocery store in Vegas. He was promoting a club and noticed the Bills hat I was wearing. The dude was ripped! Probably weighed about 210 pounds of pure muscle. Just depends on the player, but I suppose it's hard for some to break the habit of constantly having to keep their weight up. Clearly there are guys who get rid of the weight so it's possible, but I wouldn't just trash the guys who struggle with it after football. There are however, solutions if they want it bad enough.

13 hours ago, GreggTX said:

True, but once you add those extra pounds, it gets so much harder to take them off. Not only that, but as my doctor says, "Taking the extra pounds off is the easy part. Keeping them off is a real challenge. Your body naturally seeks it's highest weight."

I should add that taking the extra pounds off isn't easy at all. I lost nearly 50 lbs within the last 2 years and put it all back on. I had to just stay hungry all the time to lose that weight. It was driving me crazy being so hungry all the time.

Now we know why you are so grumpy.