The NFL's Obesity Scourge

notwoz

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hmm...everytime I see a lineman who is retired they look like a shell of themselves and have lost like 50-70 lbs...

usually they have gained another 100 in a sad where are they now newspiece

Beings that I own and operate my own 24/7 access fitness facility with around 250 active members and have been working, personally, with everyone from high school and lower level college athletes to senior citizens that can barely move for a little less than a decade(still not very long in the grand scheme) now I think i'm finally gonna chime in here.....

As always with fitness, its a topic that everyone thinks they know about, but few actually do. This isn't nearly as complex as some are making it sound in here. maintaining fairly nutrient dense eating habits and practicing moderation wont break your bank. In fact, for the topic at hand(obesity/weight loss) I would argue we can throw healthy food out of the equation. Science is finally catching up with fitness over the last 10-15 years and dispelling numerous myths. but what its really done is show us ONE thing. weight loss or weight gain is due to one main factor. CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT. END OF STORY. Now all calories are not created equal and I wouldn't advise anyone to go out and get them all from fast food. but the bottom line is if you keep track of what you are eating. if you account for it. and you end up at a caloric deficit at the end of the day...…. you will lose weight(barring some odd medical conditions or outliers)

they offer free(YES FREE) apps to track this sort of thing. MyFitnessPal is one that I set every single one of my clients up with during our first session. its INVALUABLE for my wrestlers all year round, as I refuse to work with any that still maintain the old school mentality of how to lose weight before the season starts. 

as for these beaten and battered men not being able to move to exercise? I don't buy it. I refuse to. the amount of people that have come to me barely being able to move from prior injuries that now have something that at least comes close to a normal movement pattern is a long list. senior citizens with artificial knees to athletes looking to further rehab and strengthen themselves. there are plenty of non-impact machines in my facility and many more state of the art machines in corporately owned ones that can afford much more than I can. not to mention a ridiculously long list of non-impact movements that can be performed with minimal equipment. 

all it takes is educating ones self, people. the info is out there.... and finding yourself a reliable fitness professional with a clean track record of HEALTHY MOVING individuals in his/her wake. when people move well, they feel well. people that feel well move more. move more and results usually follow..... these players most likely have the money and resources to educate themselves or find somebody that with the proper credentials to help them. I have a hard time feeling like they are completely helpless.

In summation. its not "rocket surgery". EDUCATE, ACCOUNTABILITY, MODERATE..... just those 3 words can transform somebodies body. 

(this isn't for somebody trying to get into elite physical form for a stage or field of play. we are talking about weight loss here)

Edited by Stank_Nasty

6 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

For a family of 4 that equates to a $600.00 a month food bill.  I would dare say half the US population might find that difficult.  Average household incomes about 54k currently, or roughly 3k bring home a month.  considering the rampant consumerism in this country you have to factor in the $500 auto loan, $200 credit card payment, $1200 for housing, $150 for cell phones, $100 for cable, $350 for gas, $100 into a savings account, $400 for food maybe.  people have their budgets all jacked up.  or they just don't do one.

again, beans, rice, corn, carrots, lentils, cabbage, potatoes, oats, barley, etc. are some of the cheapest and best foods. 

there is a better point you could make; there is a correlation between poverty and obesity in this country.....i.e our country is so awesome our poor people are fat :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Do you have any idea how much food they have to eat to maintane that weight.

you are stuck at 350 and your heart and organs don't have that much time left, as well your metabolism (should) slow down

your are fat and then one morning you become fat

3 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

The fact that they exercise every day like athletes, and force feed themselves to stay big boys. Says a lot about their genetics. 

I imagine guys like Woods really had to pack in food to maintain a C's weight and fight against their natural metabolism, whereas most big boys probably have made it all the way up the NFL ranks because they have the metabolism genes to maintain that weight with relative ease even while practicing football every day. Not hard to imagine what happens when football goes for a lot of these guys. They likely don't have the natural metabolism of the average adult. 

It's gotta be harder than what most of the posters are anecdotally saying how to fight obesity. It's still a battle of wills at the end of the day but it's much harder for some than others (in some cases almost impossibly hard)

i knew some who were naturally that massive and others who had to bulk up and use substances to gain and maintain the extra heft to keep playing

it's not healthy to pack on excess weight, it's kind of okay if you are physically active, but once you stop your window for reducing has to diminish quickly

carrying over 300 while in athletic shape with good knees at 25 is not the same as knees shot and out of shape and the same weight at 35

49 minutes ago, Doc said:

This is a problem for everyone, not just ex-NFL players.  Eat less/better and/or exercise more. 

i agree in principle with what you're saying, but 2 points

• by "eating less" to lose weight a distinction should be drawn between calories and volume. the average person eats between 3-5 pounds of food daily, you can still eat that much food and reduce calories. the best way to do that is to up your vegetable intake. the importance of this distinction is because of the satiation created by stretch receptors in the stomach. in other words, your stomach needs volume to trigger a feeling of satisfaction in the brain. 
  • exercise isn't great for weight loss. it is healthy, but if your goal is to lose weight, diet is a better solution. the reason for this is that exercise burns your energy stores which triggers hunger. you will typically eat more calories than you burned. so, yes, burning calories creates a deficit  (which is good for losing weight) but you eat more because of the triggered hunger, net more calories. the human body is efficient when it comes to burning calories through movement. i think a 200 pound person burns one oreo cookies worth of energy going up 26 flights of stairs. 
Edited by Shortchaz

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you are stuck at 350 and your heart and organs don't have that much time left, as well your metabolism (should) slow down

your are fat and then one morning you become fat

curious why you think metabolism would go down with weight going up? 

3 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I'm saying maybe the owners should share it, not the players dividing up the smaller slice of the larger pie they created over other leagues. Any ordinary profession that received the same earnings per revenue generated would.. find a new profession or riot lol.

But whatever, I agree, they certainly make more than enough money to manage obesity. Money's not a problem for this subject.

Is that what Apple does?  GM?  Salvatore's Pizza?  What other profession or business is rolling profits into higher wages on the regular?  Certainly not the NBA or MLB...

As the revenue in the goes up every year, the cap goes up.  So what you are describing is already happening in the NFL.

23 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Probably an organic or non-GMO hippy.

It's cheaper to buy and eat whole foods, way cheaper. So, you're doing something wrong...

Swing and a miss. Please explain to me how buying fresh fish a few times per week is cheap. I do prefer buying local meats, especially poultry, so if that makes me a hippy, so be it. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is that what Apple does?  GM?  Salvatore's Pizza?  What other profession or business is rolling profits into higher wages on the regular?  Certainly not the NBA or MLB...

As the revenue in the goes up every year, the cap goes up.  So what you are describing is already happening in the NFL.

Well of course that's what apple does. They don't have a monopoly on the labor demand for professional engineers.

But as far as sports teams go I'm simply saying NFL makes the most, yet players (collectively) get a smaller portions of the pie relative to other Leagues. Yet their jobs are much more dangerous than an an NBA player. That just sucks.

I know they have a fun job we would do for practically free and all but athletes are worth so damn much I'll stand on my soap box and say they should get a larger pie relative to owners. If this was cricket with no CTE, Obesity (although that's one of the sillier dangers), I wouldn't mind them getting less % of NFL revenue. But football players damn well deserve more than baseball or basketball based on their relative danger compared to other popular sports. 

I'd simply argue for a lucrative pension plan to cover future medical costs as they wrack up medical bills and inevitably mostly blow their money out of stupidity. Certainly a strong long term disability insurance plan really. Mostly a privatized insurance industry not given by employers but very applicable to NFL players above most all team sports.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

Sorry, but the obesity portion of this article is a case of people who were once disciplined becoming undisciplined. They insinuate that eating habits meant to keep people bigger is the NFL's fault for wanting larger players. There is no mention of the fact that people who work out for hours a day and eat a certain amount cannot stop working out and keep eating that same amount and not expect to be in terrible physical shape. 

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

There is no mention of the fact that people who work out for hours a day and eat a certain amount cannot stop working out and keep eating that same amount and not expect to be in terrible physical shape. 

That's how I gained weight in my 40's.

I don't blame my employer, though.