The NFL's Obesity Scourge

notwoz

5 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I often think when I see these monster lineman playing such a physically demanding sport that they must be teetering so close to a heart attack even when they are in playing shape. I cannot imagine how hard life must be a decade after retirement for your heart and other organs. The NFL really needs to do a better job taking care of its alumni.

The players need to take care of themselves.  As with any other segment of society, some are better at that type of thing than others.

Within months of retiring, Eric Wood went from 305 or whatever his real playing weight was to about 260, where he is now.

A lot of these guys are giant, heavy boned, wide framed people who gain weight easily.  They need to watch their diet when they retire.  The lazy ones or weak minded ones don't handle that so well, like many other people. 

6 minutes ago, stony said:

Are you including a protein?  A fat to cook the veggies in?  Beans and rice will sustain you, but it's not a long-term diet.  I'd agree that as an individual it's doable, but when you include a spouse, then children..it adds up quick.  For better or worse, many Americans follow the wheel barrel approach i.e. a trip to BK for $2 is easier than a trip to the supermarket.  

Rice, beans, fruits, vegetables, as long as you’re not calorie deficient you won’t be nutrient deficient. 

Chicken legs are .50$ a pound 

my only argument here is that you CAN eat healthy on a budget. It’s never been easier or cheaper. People refuse to eat fruits and vegetables, and have all sorts of excuses ?‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Morbid obesity is a very treatable disease, but as with any such disease, a patient has to seek treatment....and then always be compliant with treating a chronic disease such as this.

Love how MD's made Obesity a disease... What pharmaceutical are they gonna cook up for this one? Oh wait, it's gonna be uncurable, right?

7 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Rice, beans, fruits, vegetables, as long as you’re not calorie deficient you won’t be nutrient deficient. 

Chicken legs are .50$ a pound 

my only argument here is that you CAN eat healthy on a budget. It’s never been easier or cheaper. People refuse to eat fruits and vegetables, and have all sorts of excuses ?‍♂️ 

Can't and won't argue with that.  I should've said it's more difficult to.  

19 minutes ago, stony said:

Are you including a protein?  A fat to cook the veggies in?  Beans and rice will sustain you, but it's not a long-term diet.  I'd agree that as an individual it's doable, but when you include a spouse, then children..it adds up quick.  For better or worse, many Americans follow the wheel barrel approach i.e. a trip to BK for $2 is easier than a trip to the supermarket.  

Protein= Amino acids. Simplest amino acids are found in fruits then veggies. 

A fat to cook veggies in? We are talking about not becoming obese are we not? People wonder how this "disease" known as obesity falls on them out of the clear blue sky... Stop frying @#$%. What ever happened to good old raw fruits and veggies?

People need to stop playing victim and put the right things into their bodies.

Just now, Sherlock Holmes said:

Protein= Amino acids. Simplest amino acids are found in fruits then veggies. 

A fat to cook veggies in? We are talking about not becoming obese are we not? People wonder how this "disease" known as obesity falls on them out of the clear blue sky... Stop frying @#$%. What ever happened to good old raw fruits and veggies?

People need to stop playing victim and put the right things into their bodies.

Didn't know olive oil was unhealthy?  

8 minutes ago, stony said:

Didn't know olive oil was unhealthy?  

It’s not a black or white issue, all food options exist on a spectrum. Refined products are typically worse than unrefined. Of the refined fats, olive oil is one of the “better” options, but still not great. Nuts and seeds would be best fat opinion. Only need about 1-4 oz a day and if you’re over-weight you don’t NEED any fat

Edited by Shortchaz

4 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

It’s not a black or white issue, all food options exist on a spectrum. Refined products are typically worse than unrefined. Of the refined fats, olive oil is one of the “better” options, but still not great. Nuts and seeds would be best fat opinion. Only need about 1-4 oz a day and if you’re over-weight you don’t NEED any fat

Ah some common sense!

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

When ANYONE changes their body chemistry or shape to make a lot of money and do what they love, if they didn't care when they were working, why should anyone else??? Not my responsibility.

Nothing but you is really your responsibility. But you give to charity a bit, I hope, right? You care about others who are in trouble, right?

And they very much did care while they were working. On the DL and OL many or most of those guys need to be overweight and eat like hogs just to do their job. You can't get an NFL job as an OL or DT or 3-4 DE if your weight is 260 normally.

Just now, Shortchaz said:

Food is addictive, obesity is usually a sign of food addiction. Don’t think you’re addicted? Try not eating for a day and describe how you feel.

Yeah. I agree. But do you think addiction is a disease?

8 minutes ago, Chill said:

Yeah. I agree. But do you think addiction is a disease?

It isn't about what you think. Unless you're trained as a doctor. The experts say it is.

"The consequences can be dire. A study published in The American Journal of Medicine found that for every 10 pounds football players gained from high school to college, or from college to the professional level, the risk of heart disease rose 14 percent compared with players whose weight changed little during the same period."

Even if they eat better now they've already caused damage.

Habits - good or bad - are viciously hard to break. Which doesn't free them from the responsibility of looking after their own health. But playing football requires acquiring this terrible habit.

It's sad. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Shortchaz said:

Food is addictive, obesity is usually a sign of food addiction. Don’t think you’re addicted? Try not eating for a day and describe how you feel.

Of course it is... we got the same chemical companies that produce pharmaceuticals cooking up food additives to make you feel that crackhead feeling about food.

Great test of showing how you use food as a stimulant, fasting a few days. You'll start craving bread, meat, dairy. Depends on what foods you are addicted to. Those 3 are the top for sure.