The NFL's Obesity Scourge

notwoz

1 minute ago, notwoz said:

..."The Fridge" is a terribly sad story.....then you see other linemen who once retired, returned to a more normal weight....guess it is up to the individual......

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, notwoz said:

When ANYONE changes their body chemistry or shape to make a lot of money and do what they love, if they didn't care when they were working, why should anyone else??? Not my responsibility.

• Like (+1) 1

I know it sucks to hear but it’s why players should only look out for themselves.  These guys are pieces of meat to fans and the teams.  They get rid of them the second they are not valuable.  

I will say a know a bunch of former o and d linemen who lost a ton of weight after they were doing playing and skill players who went the opposite way.  But I don’t care how much they make. Nfl (and SeC) players are under paid.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..."The Fridge" is a terribly sad story.....then you see other linemen who once retired, returned to a more normal weight....guess it is up to the individual......

^^^^^this. Even if they were on food stamps, retired folks seem to pack on a few lbs. Let alone if you're a millionaire

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know it sucks to hear but it’s why players should only look out for themselves.  These guys are pieces of meat to fans and the teams.  They get rid of them the second they are not valuable.  

I will say a know a bunch of former o and d linemen who lost a ton of weight after they were doing playing and skill players who went the opposite way.  But I don’t care how much they make. Nfl (and SeC) players are under paid.

Underpaid??  They are getting paid a ton of money to play a game.  10% of american adults are morbidly obese---thats at lest 37 million people!  Do you know how many of them who have made a million or more in a year?  The answer is zero--none of them.

Morbid obesity is a very treatable disease, but as with any such disease, a patient has to seek treatment....and then always be compliant with treating a chronic disease such as this.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yep. Obesity is a problem for ALL of America, not just the NFL, and it is even becoming a problem in developing and third world countries as well.

But if I get fat, is it someone else's responsibility? No. Everyone has the responsibility to care for their own body (and also for their children's bodies until they are adults).

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yep. Obesity is a problem for ALL of America, not just the NFL, and it is even becoming a problem in developing and third world countries as well.

But if I get fat, is it someone else's responsibility? No. Everyone has the responsibility to care for their own body (and also for their children's bodies until they are adults).

Without getting too crazy about the subject, I agree with the sentiment of what I believe you’re saying, but the reality is that there is a societal component involved with obesity. Healthcare, because of the pool system used by insurance companies, and education being a public service are examples of this. 

The responsibility becomes a subject of debate.

Edited by Shortchaz

6 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Without getting too crazy about the subject, I agree with the sentiment of what I believe you’re saying, but the reality is that there is a societal component involved with obesity. Healthcare, because of the pool system used by insurance companies, and education being a public service are examples of this. 

My opinion is that the responsibility is up to each individual. However, that does not mean that money can't be spent on programs to help and educate people.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah it's why I never badmouth anyone who leaves a team or goes somewhere questionable for the money. They should go get all they can while they can. 

15 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

The second you make it the public's responsibility, is the day the government mandates exercise.

Freedom is a sausage mcmuffin.

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

My opinion is that the responsibility is up to each individual. However, that does not mean that money can't be spent on programs to help and educate people.

Overall I'd tend to agree with this.  But it's expensive to eat healthy.  

47 minutes ago, stony said:

This is probably an oversimplification, beans and rice are some of the cheapest foods....

Average person eats between 3-5 pounds of food a day, you can get fruit and veggies for 1-3$ a pound. 

A person can eat healthy for as little as 5$ a day. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Agreed 

52 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The second you make it the public's responsibility, is the day the government mandates exercise.

Freedom is a sausage mcmuffin.

?, I agree man, no one wants that, but it is arguably a public issue.

52 minutes ago, stony said:

That couldn't be further from the truth. Vegetables are very cheap. Go to the grocery store and test it out. Spend $10 on vegetables and $10 on junk food. You'll get WAY more food in vegetables than junk food. Whole grains are incredibly cheap as well.

However, cooking meals at home takes a lot of time and knowing how to do that well is tough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shortchaz said:

This is probably an oversimplification, beans and rice are some of the cheapest foods....

Average person eats between 3-5 pounds of food a day, you can get fruit and veggies for 1-3$ a pound. 

A person can eat healthy for as little as 5$ a day. 

Are you including a protein?  A fat to cook the veggies in?  Beans and rice will sustain you, but it's not a long-term diet.  I'd agree that as an individual it's doable, but when you include a spouse, then children..it adds up quick.  For better or worse, many Americans follow the wheel barrel approach i.e. a trip to BK for $2 is easier than a trip to the supermarket.  

I often think when I see these monster lineman playing such a physically demanding sport that they must be teetering so close to a heart attack even when they are in playing shape. I cannot imagine how hard life must be a decade after retirement for your heart and other organs. The NFL really needs to do a better job taking care of its alumni.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

That couldn't be further from the truth. Vegetables are very cheap. Go to the grocery store and test it out. Spend $10 on vegetables and $10 on junk food. You'll get WAY more food in vegetables than junk food. Whole grains are incredibly cheap as well.

However, cooking meals at home takes a lot of time and knowing how to do that well is tough.

I do.  It's way more expensive buying fresh produce weekly than eating cheap, mass produced products.