Mel Kiper Mocks — 1.0 DT Rashan Gary 2.0 DK Metcalf

YoloinOhio

On 1/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I would say it's more than likely that we go defense.  More defensive talent in the top 10 and we will be drafting BPA and not for need.

Gotta agree with this. If we stick to the top 10 pick were going de/dt. If we trade back i could see us grabbing an OL prospect in the 1st

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

He's a DE and we already have 3 fairly good ones on the roster. Makes no sense.

He will be a DT in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Gotta agree with this. If we stick to the top 10 pick were going de/dt. If we trade back i could see us grabbing an OL prospect in the 1st

I’m starting to believe we grab one of the Iowa TEs in the first. We will know more after free agency though.

34 minutes ago, billspro said:

He will be a DT in the NFL.

I’m starting to believe we grab one of the Iowa TEs in the first. We will know more after free agency though.

I challenge you to find any mock draft that has a any TE going Top 10 unless you're assuming we trade down to the very late first round.

Any mock other than yours of course.

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I challenge you to find any mock draft that has a any TE going Top 10 unless you're assuming we trade down to the very late first round.

Any mock other than yours of course.

Did you not see Daniel Jeremiah’s mock today? I am also projecting both of those guys will be fast risers after the combine.

Edited by billspro

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

Did you not see Daniel Jeremiah’s mock today? I am also projecting both of those guys will be fast risers after the combine.

Wow! I stand corrected my good man. Don't agree with it but hey, challenge accepted and achieved. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I don't think Phillips was all that great as a rookie. He wasn't terrible, but I think we can do better without breaking the budget and a beast of a DT wouldn't hurt us any with our perennially poor run defense.

Perhaps...but I did specifically say the logic is stupid.  "They have to draft Kyle Williams' replacement" when they already have is particularly blithering idiocy from a purported draft authority that should know they already have, whether successfully or not.

And Kyle Williams wasn't all that great as a rookie, either.  Kyle got as good as he is by working to constantly improve.  There's a little too much focus on talent and need in draft prognostication, and more than a few draft rooms as well.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:40 AM, Buff76ers said:

If that’s the case he needs to rethink it.  He knows we drafted Harrison Phillips last year and are trying to resign Jordan Phillips.  We must go O in the first. 

We'll fill in the offence in FA. 

When the draft comes along we'll be going BPA, as we should. We have needs on D as well as on O.

How would you feel if we go O in the first at #9 and he plays like a #20 pick, which is where he should have gone? That's what happened with Donte Whitner. Picked too high and was treated as an underachiever for the rest of his career here when the fault was the Bills for picking him too high.

Ideally we would go offence. But if there's no guy there worth the pick on O - and that's how it maybe looks - it would be crazy to force it.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's all pointless, it's a message board.

But let's hope they don't draft for need.........that's how you get Shaq and Ragnuts..........get players you think can be great over players you think can start.

The problem there wasn't so much drafting for need. It was drafting poorly.

But yeah, go for talent. Don't reach.

Edited by Thurman#1

23 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that, but Kiper is also especially bad at that and even worse this early in the process.  He’s a blow hard who pushes his ideas that are almost always wrong.  

Case in point, two guys he had is taking went 30th and 5th round.  And while Hurst going 5th round due to a medical issue discovered during combine is a rare occurrence that made the discrepancy so big, it’s also evidence of why pre combine mocks have little reliable info.  

I will also admit I find anything from Kiper as worthless, so I have a negative biased about anything he says out the gate.  He’s a blow hard who is wrong like 95% of the time on everyone and everything but gets paid a ton to keep blowing, hard.  Lol

I hear you ... but you have to give credit where credit is due .. he carved out a niche and has made a ton of money off it .. so regardless .. he's the "draft guru" whether we agree or not ... he does however spout decent info on players he's picking .. again you can agree or disagree .. he at least provides detail on certain players .. that I know nothing about ... Long Live Mel .. though his hair is struggling of late.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WideRightRevenge said:

I hear you ... but you have to give credit where credit is due .. he carved out a niche and has made a ton of money off it .. so regardless .. he's the "draft guru" whether we agree or not ... he does however spout decent info on players he's picking .. again you can agree or disagree .. he at least provides detail on certain players .. that I know nothing about ... Long Live Mel .. though his hair is struggling of late.

He’s not my favorite draft guy but I’ve come to enjoy his ESPN radio show on sat mornings with Dari Noka. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not my favorite draft guy but I’ve come to enjoy his ESPN radio show on sat mornings with Dari Noka. 

Agreed  .. my favorite draft guy was Mayock ... but now he's with Chuckie .. so not sure what NFL network will do in his absense

18 hours ago, GreggTX said:

He's a DE and we already have 3 fairly good ones on the roster. Makes no sense.

This sounds a lot like what people were saying when a few of us were pushing Aaron Donald as the Bills pick.   Wasn't an immediate area of need.   Best non-QB in football the past few seasons though.  20 sacks from DT this year......amazing.  

In a couple years it's more than likely that 2 of Hughes, Shaq and Murphy will be gone........you don't draft early to patch holes this year.......but for impact players at hard to fill spots 2-3 years down the line.   

I loved the Allen and Edmunds picks but let's remember we graded them on a curve.    Edmunds graded poorly and was particularly abused by veteran QB's and Allen threw more pics than TD's.   Without the "rookie curve" they were pretty bad.

Next year McD needs to win so don't be surprised by early picks of guys who will not be thrust into every down roles where they can be exploited like Allen and Edmunds.   I don't expect them to make the same mistake as Rex/Whaley did trying to just get low-ceiling, off-the-bus starters.

A high ceiling rotational pass rusher is very reasonable investment.   Pass rushers are only trumped by QB's in importance. 

• Like (+1) 7

On 1/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Can he be moved to edge rusher?  A sub 300 lb DT...seems kind of small.

He wouldn’t actually be “moved” to edge rusher... that’s what he played in college (Strong side DE). But is a better fit at DT/3 Tech in the NFL. He could maybe play at DE in a 3-4. But he’s not a pure edge rusher. He would sometimes get pulled for a pure “pass rusher” at UM but played SDE.

As a 4-3 DE in the NFL, he doesn’t have innate skills to win 1v1 (like Bosa).  Basically Gary played a hybrid contain role in a rough front that had pieces moving. He played on the end of the DL and did rush the passer, but not on every play. Also, from a stats perspective, he can’t be compared to some DEs on DLs that were very aggressive (like OSU). UM blitzes a ton, which required the DL to be more under control. 

He was basically a “more free” Ed Oliver. One thing that stood out was how much more productive their pass rusher Chase Winovich was when Gary played vs when he did not.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/17/2019 at 5:27 PM, bigduke6 said:

as an Ohio St. fan nothing Gary did made me go, Wow,  id love for him to be a Bill.      rather use this offseason to build a dominant offensive line.     sure DT is a hole,   O-line is more important right now imo.

He had a very good game vs us in 2017 as I recall. Hurst had the best day. No one really got near the QB this year despite our OL issues, but I think both Gary and winovich were playing hurt. we had way more problems with the sparty DL.

Edited by YoloinOhio