Mel Kiper Mocks — 1.0 DT Rashan Gary 2.0 DK Metcalf

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Chemical said:

Wouldnt you hate to pass on AJ green for Marcel Dareus?

what I’m trying to say is I agree with the sentiment but how do you know who the best player is?

That exactly what I always say in all BPA conversations.   How can you say Harrison Phillips was a better player than Taron, is a great FG kicker better than a great Olineman?   One thing is certain, free agency has a massive impact on who picks who because it changes priorities, and so does pick trading up/down.   

Even if everyone had a crystal ball and could see how each college player would transition to NFL three years from now, it would still be impossible to hit on a mock draft before FA and pick trades.

Although I will say a few mocks have us taking Ed Oliver and if you havent seen his highlights.....oh man is he a monster.

If we do pick D in the first, remember how the Pats shredded us for 250 yards on the ground, and it was more than just us missing Milano that day.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Very likely this could happen. DL rotation. This kid can play anywhere along to dline.

6’5” 280 lbs, great athletic ability. Just an underachiever. Most blame is on Michigan style defense and not knowing what to do with the kid.

McD is known to tap full potential. If he could get the bulb to go off, maybe this kid be special.

An underachiever who may be special if McD can get 'the bulb to go off', whatever that means, does not sound like a good pick at #9 to me.

• Like (+1) 1

To me Rashan Gary reminds me of Robert Nikemdiche the year he came out with tons of potential and not much productivity. I get that he was underused at Michigan but i find it hard to believe if he was that talented that Jim Harbaugh couldn't find a more prominent role for him. I look at Ed Oliver as Sheldon Rankins and Rashan Gary as Robert Nikemdiche, just my own opinions. 

• Like (+1) 1

Kiper's first mock draft last year had us taking a CB (Mike Hughes) and a DT (Maurice Hurst).  Hughes ended up being the 30th pick going to the Vikings and Hurst was a 5th round pick that went to the Steelers.  We should create a 20 page thread about his first mock draft this year though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

That exactly what I always say in all BPA conversations.   How can you say Harrison Phillips was a better player than Taron, is a great FG kicker better than a great Olineman?   One thing is certain, free agency has a massive impact on who picks who because it changes priorities, and so does pick trading up/down.   

Even if everyone had a crystal ball and could see how each college player would transition to NFL three years from now, it would still be impossible to hit on a mock draft before FA and pick trades.

Although I will say a few mocks have us taking Ed Oliver and if you havent seen his highlights.....oh man is he a monster.

If we do pick D in the first, remember how the Pats shredded us for 250 yards on the ground, and it was more than just us missing Milano that day.  

Exactly. Everytime we face a strong offense we get rolled.

I know this is a top heavy defensive player draft and best player available mindsets  ... but our defense was #2 in YPG allowed with for the year.  Now I love Kyle W and he will be missed ... but the needs are on offense .. so if can't trade down .. then overspend the pick on OL player ... where we did good in not allowing yards ..we we're 3rd from the bottom in total yards offensively .... attack the need please in 2019 draft and free agency ... help our QB

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Kiper's first mock draft last year had us taking a CB (Mike Hughes) and a DT (Maurice Hurst).  Hughes ended up being the 30th pick going to the Vikings and Hurst was a 5th round pick that went to the Steelers.  We should create a 20 page thread about his first mock draft this year though.

Hurst was also diagnosed with a heart condition between the first mock and the draft. He couldn't even participate in the combine because of it.

17 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

You always take the best player.  Wouldn't you hate to pass on Warren Sapp because you needed a receiver more?

I'd hate to miss out on Warren Sapp by two picks because you beat MIami in two meaningless games.

49 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Hurst was also diagnosed with a heart condition between the first mock and the draft. He couldn't even participate in the combine because of it.

Isn’t that kind of the point though on why a mock right now is mostly worthless?  

Edited by Alphadawg7

18 minutes ago, Steve O said:

I'd hate to miss out on Warren Sapp by two picks because you beat MIami in two meaningless games.

Still not as bad as missing out on a Hall of Fame player Because you were trying to fill an immediate need.  I wonder how many teams regret drafting Rodgers with hindsight.

17 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I understand that mock drafts, while fun, are largely an exercise in futility but...of all the pundits out there, has Mel Kiper ever picked the Bills 1st Rounder correctly?

2018: Josh Rosen (had Allen going 5th where Buffalo tried to trade up for him though). Also said he thought a trade up for a QB was likely, but he just doesn't include trades in his mocks.

2017: Haasan Reddick - he thought Buffalo would add speed to the LB core. Once again Buffalo traded the pick, which is something he just doesn't do in his mocks.

2016: Corey Coleman - He thought Buffalo needed a pass rusher but that it was too early for any of the remaining guys (he had Shaq going 11th)

Beyond that, it looks like the links are all broken now.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The old saying looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. 

Joel Buchsbaum had some great descriptions of players back in the day.

Still, Gary doesn't strike me as a McDermott type player if there are truly questions about motivation.  

The other issue is, where does he play in the NFL?  If he's a base end in a 40 front that isn't much value at 9.  Drafting defensive line, it had better be someone who has demonstrated an ability to get to the QB and not someone who essentially sets the edge.