Mel Kiper Mocks — 1.0 DT Rashan Gary 2.0 DK Metcalf

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Dueling McShay Kiper mock out. Bills net Ed Oliver, N'Keal Harry, and Dawson Knox in the first 3 rounds. I would be very happy with that!

I watch N'Keal Harry and see a guy who looks a lot like a mid-career Eric Moulds in terms of size/speed/quickness/power .    His measurables are close too.   Same type of big, springy but not super quick or fast WR.    That's OK..........but Moulds numbers were inflated from 2002-2005 because he was the "#1" and was getting fed constantly even as his ability to separate(and subsequently ypr) steadily declined so I wouldn't expect the same production from a young guy trying to earn his way with that skillset.    But more importantly it seems the league is trending toward quicker/faster types than it is contested catch guys.  And when you compare the similar measurables of Moulds and Harry it's important to remember that corners are bigger and faster now than they were when Moulds entered the league.   I think Harry will struggle to get open consistently.

• Like (+1) 1

Gary's production in college doesn't warrant a top 10 pick, but that doesn't mean Beane won't reach for him. After all, he even traded up for Edmunds when he probably could have gotten him in the 2nd and Vander Esch, who is far better, was still on the board. I hope he doesn't make that same mistake again.

Allen needs guys that can get separation to limit interceptions on his often off target throws.

Edited by GreggTX

11 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Gary's production in college doesn't warrant a top 10 pick, but that doesn't mean Beane won't reach for him. After all, he even traded up for Edmunds when he probably could have gotten him in the 2nd and Vander Esch, who is far better, was still on the board. I hope he doesn't make that same mistake again.

Allen needs guys that can get separation to limit interceptions on his often off target throws.

Your comments about Gary and Edmunds are basically fundamentally incorrect.

As has been discussed as nauseum, Gary's evaluation goes well beyond stats. Were you upset when they traded up for a QB that threw 16 TDs at Wyoming? I wasn't, because I did a real actual evaluation on the kid.

As for Edmunds being available in round 2, there's no chance. Rashaan Evans went off the board 7 picks later, and he's not 80% of the prospect that Edmunds was.

Your post generally reads as though you don't like Beane's 2018 draft, which is fine, but your opinions are a bit overstated 

• Like (+1) 6

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Your comments about Gary and Edmunds are basically fundamentally incorrect.

As has been discussed as nauseum, Gary's evaluation goes well beyond stats. Were you upset when they traded up for a QB that threw 16 TDs at Wyoming? I wasn't, because I did a real actual evaluation on the kid.

As for Edmunds being available in round 2, there's no chance. Rashaan Evans went off the board 7 picks later, and he's not 80% of the prospect that Edmunds was.

Your post generally reads as though you don't like Beane's 2018 draft, which is fine, but your opinions are a bit overstated 

If you had the choice between Gary or Oliver which player would you take for the Bills? It appears that Gary has more versatility while Oliver is more explosive and more of an interior penetrator. Most reports on Gary have questioned his consistent efforts while that issue doesn't apply to Oliver. The primary concern about Oliver is that because of his lack of size he might be engulfed defending the run. For me, when all is said and done I would be happy with either player, although I find Oliver the more intriguing player. 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you had the choice between Gary or Oliver which player would you take for the Bills? It appears that Gary has more versatility while Oliver is more explosive and more of an interior penetrator. Most reports on Gary have questioned his consistent efforts while that issue doesn't apply to Oliver. The primary concern about Oliver is that because of his lack of size he might be engulfed defending the run. For me, when all is said and done I would be happy with either player, although I find Oliver the more intriguing player. 

I'm an Oliver guy through and through 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

You never disappoint.

18 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Dueling McShay Kiper mock out. Bills net Ed Oliver, N'Keal Harry, and Dawson Knox in the first 3 rounds. I would be very happy with that!

Saw the show last night where they had us getting Oliver in the 1st and was very happy. I'd be THRILLED with that 3 round draft.

And just NO to Gary.

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Saw the show last night where they had us getting Oliver in the 1st and was very happy. I'd be THRILLED with that 3 round draft.

And just NO to Gary.

You might want to prepare yourself.  I'm not saying that it's a definite, since I believe that there are others higher on their board, but I am saying that you shouldn't be surprised 

• Like (+1) 1

I could be wrong but I think Some (not all) people are forming opinion of Gary based only on what they hear in the media. I know that there are some - @LSHMEAB comes to mind- who are actually Michigan fans and don’t want Gary and that’s valid because I’m assuming it’s from watching with his own eyes, etc. But something similar happened with Josh Allen last year, which I was guilty of, because I never watched Wyoming football. I just based my opinion of him on the media which I somewhat regret and wish I had enjoyed his draft day a bit more. Just my two cents on draft twitter and the media and how it can shape opinions on players you haven’t seen play or know a lot about the coaching, scheme, surrounding talent. Again I know some people do watch Michigan and know the program and still don’t like him, that’s valid too. I’ve personally watched him since HS and think he’s a beast who would be a great fit on the Bills DL in this scheme, nothing that took place last year at Michigan has changed that. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You might want to prepare yourself.  I'm not saying that it's a definite, since I believe that there are others higher on their board, but I am saying that you shouldn't be surprised 

After being a Bills fan this long I'm prepared for anything in the draft. ESPECIALLY utter disappointment and disgust. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could be wrong but I think Some (not all) people are forming opinion of Gary based only on what they hear in the media. I know that there are some - @LSHMEAB comes to mind- who are actually Michigan fans and don’t want Gary and that’s valid because I’m assuming it’s from watching with his own eyes, etc. But something similar happened with Josh Allen last year, which I was guilty of, because I never watched Wyoming football. I just based my opinion of him on the media which I somewhat regret and wish I had enjoyed his draft day a bit more. Just my two cents on draft twitter and the media and how it can shape opinions on players you haven’t seen play or know a lot about the coaching, scheme, surrounding talent. Again I know some people do watch Michigan and know the program and still don’t like him, that’s valid too. I’ve personally watched him since HS and think he’s a beast who would be a great fit on the Bills DL in this scheme, nothing that took place last year at Michigan has changed that. 

I watched plenty of Michigan football to not be impressed. And a step further, watching the Michigan All or Nothing on Amazon Prime where he doesnt impress me with his attitude or as a person. Now, in his defense, I believe that was shot a couple years ago when he was a freshman so I'll admit it's possible he has grown, but I still think we could do better.

Beyond stats, which I don't really care about for college, what are the concerns with Gary? If work ethic is the concern we won't draft him. Is there anything else? He is definitely the Josh Allen of defense this year where everyone outside of NFL scouts want nothing to do with him and I'm wondering why.

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have a die hard Michigan guy in the office and he loves Gary.  He thinks he was hurt more than was let on and rushed back because the team was doing well.

That said...

He prefers Winovich and thinks he is better than Gary.  He's a Lions fan and hoping Winovich goes to them in the 2nd.  Said they are both beasts but Winovich plays harder.

I take everything he says with a grain of salt though.  He is a gigantic homer to the point of naming his son Braylon.  He might not be the most objective guy when it comes to Michigan players. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, section122 said:

I have a die hard Michigan guy in the office and he loves Gary.  He thinks he was hurt more than was let on and rushed back because the team was doing well.

That said...

He prefers Winovich and thinks he is better than Gary.  He's a Lions fan and hoping Winovich goes to them in the 2nd.  Said they are both beasts but Winovich plays harder.

I take everything he says with a grain of salt though.  He is a gigantic homer to the point of naming his son Braylon.  He might not be the most objective guy when it comes to Michigan players. :lol:

Winovich absolutely killed the combine which will help him a lot. He plays harder than... just about anyone, haha. McDermott probably loves him. To me, these guys play different positions so I can’t really compare. But he would be a sound pick in the 2nd for sure. And a fan favorite with that personality. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I personally like Gary for us, but there is no denying that Oliver is a crazy talent. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if both were available at 9 I think I'm picking Gary.