Mel Kiper Mocks — 1.0 DT Rashan Gary 2.0 DK Metcalf

YoloinOhio

The old saying looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.  He has all the athletic ability but was never dominate to warrant a top 10 pick. 

The fact this guy is a top 10 pick and non of the Wrs are rated that high is comically inaccurate imo.  

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The old saying looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.  He has all the athletic ability but was never dominate to warrant a top 10 pick. 

The fact this guy is a top 10 pick and non of the Wrs are rated that high is comically inaccurate imo.  

This take is inaccurate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Such a lazy pick. People see the headline of Kyle Williams retiring and think "Oh, DT is a big need for the Bills now". We drafted a darn good DT last year and picked up a DT from Miami in Jordan Phillips (who we will resign), not to mention Star who we signed for big bucks in FA.

I would not be happy with an interior lineman. That position SHOULD be set, unless they want to bring in some depth later on or cheaply in FA. If we are going defense round 1 it should be for an edge rusher.

Edited by MJS

6 hours ago, Buff76ers said:

Top 5 D and bottom on Offense but Kiper thinks D is where we should spend our 1st pick.  Dude sucks. 

The draft is all about value. This draft is loaded with defensive talent, teams are always looking for more pass rushers and there just isn't a Quinton Nelson or a lot of other dynamic offensive players at the top of this draft. I hope a trade down happens but it take two to tango and one might not be available. I think the team will make major acquisitions in free agency on offense so I don't hate taking the top defender on the board if that's by far the best type of player available. 

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I'm not seeing two-down or rotational player.  I think he is a guy that could be a disruptive 3 down player who could play inside or outside (preferably inside)

That’s not how McDermott runs his line. No matter who the player is, he rotates then. 

I am not going to say we won't take a DT in the first round, anything can happen especially if we fill a lot of other things in FA and DT is BPA and Beane wants him.  Plus the combine hasn't even happened, so any mocks now are more worthless than even mocks later anyway.

However, I get tired of these mocks referring to "Kyle Williams" replacement.  First, we already drafted with a valuable pick his replacement last year.  Harrison Phillips was literally drafted to be an heir to Kyle and they are very similar players.  He is a promising young player who we just spent a 3rd round pick on.  He is going to be given the opportunity to be the Kyle replacement.

Additionally Jordan is likely going to be retained as well, who will compete with Harrison to replace Kyle too.  

So when I see these mocks calling for a "Kyle Replacement" it just makes feel like they know nothing about Buffalo or their current situation and further devalues their opinion to me.  

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Such a lazy pick. People see the headline of Kyle Williams retiring and think "Oh, DT is a big need for the Bills now". We drafted a darn good DT last year and picked up a DT from Miami in Jordan Phillips (who we will resign), not to mention Star who we signed for big bucks in FA.

I would not be happy with an interior lineman. That position SHOULD be set, unless they want to bring in some depth later on or cheaply in FA. If we are going defense round 1 it should be for an edge rusher.

In what world does multiple time Pro Bowler Kyle Williams retire and it DOESN'T become a huge hole on our defense?

Harrison Phillips is a 1T/3T tweener and hasn't proven he can be a full time starter. Jordan Phillips is an unrestricted free agent and, even if re-signed, has not proven he can be an effective full time starter.

3T is absolutely CRUCIAL in McDermott's defense. If you think a DT is a wasted pick, you might not want to watch the first round of this year's draft.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

In what world does multiple time Pro Bowler Kyle Williams retire and it DOESN'T become a huge hole on our defense?

Harrison Phillips is a 1T/3T tweener and hasn't proven he can be a full time starter. Jordan Phillips is an unrestricted free agent and, even if re-signed, has not proven he can be an effective full time starter.

3T is absolutely CRUCIAL in McDermott's defense. If you think a DT is a wasted pick, you might not want to watch the first round of this year's draft.

Thanks for your opinion.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Thanks for your opinion.

No problem. Given that we're on a football discussion message board and are discussing drafting a defensive lineman, I figured giving my opinion on said topic would be reasonable. Thanks for yours!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Defense Schmefence.     

Wideout or OL all draft long please 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go DT with our first pick, largely b/c that's such a clear mistake.

49 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

If we go DT, would you rather have Gary or the undersized, but play maker, Oliver?

That depends. How healthy, and maybe more importantly, emotionally stable is Oliver? That year end freak out gave me pause. Have to get to know the guy, that’s where you earn your money. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, billspro said:

This take is inaccurate.

Which part? Lack of production, lack of Dominance.  If he wasnt the former #1 recruit in the country would he be a top 10 pick? I think it's easy to watch a game and notice the guy on the line constantly behind the line of scrimmage.  Not as easy seeing a guy running routes and getting seperation on plays away from the ball.  

28 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Which part? Lack of production, lack of Dominance.  If he wasnt the former #1 recruit in the country would he be a top 10 pick? I think it's easy to watch a game and notice the guy on the line constantly behind the line of scrimmage.  Not as easy seeing a guy running routes and getting seperation on plays away from the ball.  

In his defence they put him at DE in college. He would not be a good DE prospect in the NFL. He is a freak athlete at his size and has a chance to be an Aaron Donald type disruptor as a 3 tech. He will definitely need a lot of coaching though as he is very raw. I would probably prefer a safer pick, but this coaching staff did a good job with two very raw prospects last year. I am not willing to write him off as a bust, there is some special talent there.

• Thank you (+1) 1