Pegulas get rid of Harbor Center Execs/Russ Brandon wanna-bes

YoloinOhio

The resignations were not voluntary 

The unexpected resignations earlier this month of two Pegula Sports and Entertainment executives followed an internal investigation into whether the two men sexually harassed female employees after a holiday party in December, according to four sources.

Michael Gilbert, senior vice president of administration and general manager of HarborCenter, and Nik Fattey, vice president and director of hockey at HarborCenter, joined a group of about two dozen male and female PSE employees at Mulligan’s Brick Bar on Allen Street around midnight on Dec. 16, after the company holiday party inside the Marriott HarborCenter had ended, two of the sources said.

At Brick Bar, Gilbert and Fattey focused their attention on two young women who work as servers at (716) Food & Sport, a PSE-owned bar and restaurant inside HarborCenter, the two sources said.

Fattey, through his attorney, denied that he had sexually harassed or behaved inappropriately with any woman.

Gilbert did not return two voice messages left on his cellphone.

One of the women said Gilbert, 50, made sexually explicit and inappropriate remarks to her and repeatedly asked her to meet him in his hotel room at the Marriott.

“I just said no, I have no interest. I would turn around and he would continue to talk to me,” the woman said. “I don’t know where he got to thinking that I would be interested. I have no idea why he thought he could do that.”

The News contacted the woman when other sources said there was more behind the resignations than PSE initially revealed. The woman agreed to be interviewed on the condition that she not be identified by name in a story.

The woman said she felt awkward trying to fend off Gilbert’s advances without angering him, because he ultimately wielded control over her job at the restaurant.

“I think he was trying to use that power,” she said.

The woman, who is 23, described the interaction as "creepy" and "gross."

“He’s like twice my age,” she said.

Another source who was in Brick Bar at the time confirmed substantial portions of the woman's account, although the source also acknowledged that she could not hear what Gilbert said to the woman.

• Like (+1) 1

The Pegulas are setting a standard of conduct for people working within their enterprise. They are not allowing people in authority to abuse their status. This is not individual conduct isolated from their business. Whether it is in the workplace or outside of it there is a standard of behavior that is going to be applied. By taking action the Pegulas are making it clear to those involved (people at the top and bottom) in their company that certain behavior will not be tolerated. People who work for them are going to be held accountable for their conduct, especially as it relates to treating women. 

I give the Pegulas credit because they are not hesitant to apply the rules to people high up in the organization such as Brandon and the upper echelon employees in this story. The people at the top set the tone for the company. Their actions give their words meaning. 

• Like (+1) 6

This group of people went to Brick Bar for an after-party???

That place was a dive filled with illegal kids when I last frequented it, admittedly about 25 years ago!  

Has it improved since?  Seems like a strange choice for this crowd. 

The old saw for many guys is ‘the drunker I get, the better they look’.  I wonder how much of it is really ‘the drunker I get, the better looking I get’.

After a late night office holiday party, the prudent executive calls a limo service and goes home.  Not on a pub crawl as if they were in university.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I went to Brick Bar about 20 years ago. Thought it was definitely a college age (if that) bar at that time. Maybe it was the after after after party. 

Maybe the 23 year olds went and the creepy execs followed them in hopes of getting a shot. All in all, very creepy. Kudos to the Pegulas' judgment and applying the standards across the board.

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

it's a crazy ***** world when all that is required for your termination is an allegation.

The company interviewed people who were involved and were at the scene. A decision was made according to the facts of the case. Due diligence and process were fully applied. Your complaint how this case was handled make little sense.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The company interviewed people who were involved and were at the scene. A decision was made according to the facts of the case. Due diligence and process were fully applied. Your complaint how this case was handled make little sense.

and i quote, "HarborCenter execs resigned after alleged sexual harassment", end quote.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I went to Brick Bar about 20 years ago. Thought it was definitely a college age (if that) bar at that time. Maybe it was the after after after party. 

Yup.  When my buddies and I went in the early 90s the big joke was how much "elbow boob" you could get because the place was packed with coeds.

To the point of the story, however -- kudos to the Pegulas for cleaning up this type of crap.

14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

and i quote, "HarborCenter execs resigned after alleged sexual harassment", end quote.

I'm missing your point. This case was investigated by the personnel department that gets involved in these type of complaints. The dismissal was because of improper conduct as it related to interaction with a server. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Foxx said:

it's a crazy ***** world when all that is required for your termination is an allegation.

Actually, what's crazy is a 50-year-old executive following 20-something-year-olds to a college bar.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I didn’t paste the whole article but if you read it you will see the whole story 

In fact, the women didn’t report it because they thought it wouldn’t be taken seriously. Another co worker did who was there and saw it go down. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t paste the whole article but if you read it you will see the whole story 

i read the whole story. personnel departmental findings does not constitute a conviction within a  court of law. it is not beyond the realm of possibility that in today's 'environment' just the mere 'allegation' of impropriety would be enough to make a 'personnel department finding' that would suggest the dismissal to avoid any 'appearances' of condoning said behavior.

if they were found guilty, the headline should not state that the allegation is alleged. it is so because of legal ramifications.

41 minutes ago, Foxx said:

The word "alleged" refers to the lack of a conviction in court. I doesn't mean the allegations weren't investigated by PSE.

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm missing your point. This case was investigated by the personnel department that gets involved in these type of complaints. The dismissal was because of improper conduct as it related to interaction with a server. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The word "alleged" refers to the lack of a conviction in court. I doesn't mean the allegations weren't investigated by PSE.

carry on then. nothing to see here.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Foxx

12 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i read the whole story. personnel departmental findings does not constitute a conviction within a  court of law. it is not beyond the realm of possibility that in today's 'environment' just the mere 'allegation' of impropriety would be enough to make a 'personnel department finding' that would suggest the dismissal to avoid any 'appearances' of condoning said behavior.

if they were found guilty, the headline should not state that the allegation is alleged. it is so because of legal ramifications.

Companies are not courts of law. They can fire you for cause. In this case they determined there was cause. Fortunately for the two guys fired, harassment cases rarely reach prosecution.

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

carry on then. nothing to see here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Companies are not courts of law. They can fire you for cause. In this case they determined there was cause. Fortunately for the two guys fired, harassment cases rarely reach prosecution.

what... your just going to quote and reply with the same thing that was said in different words?

alrighty then.....

Just now, Foxx said:

what... your just going to quote and reply with the same thing that was said in different words?

alrighty then.....

I wanted to include your comment with the post I already made because it was relevent. That's why.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wanted to include your comment with the post I already made because it was relevent. That's why.

right. so you are just going to quote me and say the exact same thing with different words, gotcha. thanks for playing, run along now.