Hypothetical : Trade down in 1st with Raiders?

bigfootindy

Trade 9th pick for Raiders 24th and 27th picks overall?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Trade 9th pick for Raiders 24th and 27th picks overall?

• In a heartbeat
    • Want more compensation
    • No way

I went with in a heartbeat, though if a premium player fell to 9 for some reason I definitely wouldn't.

Based on the empirical trade value chart trading 9 for 24 & 27 is the Raiders paying a 16% premium, which is slightly high for a pick outside the top 5, historically.

I guess what I mean to say is if we were on the clock and a premium player for us wasn't there I'd do it in a heartbeat. Well ahead of draft time I think I'd be looking for more though.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I would expect either very few trades this year or extremely low value trades.  The draft chart doesn't mean much this year.  

Very few teams need QBs, and there are very few QBs worth drafting high up.  That drives the trade market.  With the decreased emphasis on needing to get to the top, there will be fewer trades and the value will go down.  

Would not be surprised if Gruden makes a play for Murray or Haskins.  Haskins at 4 at best pass rusher at 9.  Or if Haskins goes before 4, best pass rusher at 4 and Murray at 9.  Gruden is basically the owner of the Raiders and can do whatever he wants.  And the fan base doesn’t matter because they don’t even have a home.  

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

that point chart means nothing. just numbers someone made up

It's probably a good baseline but it changes year to year. This year there are no consensus top 10 QBs so we wouldn't get more than #24 and #27 in this scenario. I personally would do it without hesitation but I don't know who the Raiders would trade up for. If anything they would do it for a defensive player over a QB. They have the draft capital to afford a move like that.

For me it all boils down to who is available at nine when the bills pick. The only way this works is that they make the trade literally at the last moment when the number nine pick is up or the player(s) they targeted at 9 are already gone. It does not always make sense to go all in on quantity versus quality in these situations.

I see the Redskins as potentially the most likely trade partner.  If the Raiders want a QB, the sensible thing to do is just pick him at #4, unless Jags / Giants move in front of them.

The rumor today was the Redskins have begun talking to teams about moving in front of Denver to get a QB.  Moving to 15, with Haskins / Murray / Lock / Jones all off the board by the time we hit the clock would be best case scenario IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, bigfootindy said:

Very early, just hypothetical trade.  Maybe the Raiders want a QB before the Broncos/Dolphins have a shot.  Trade chart shows:

Bills 9th: 1350

Raiders picks: 740 + 680 = 1420 (About a 5% premium)

Thoughts?

I say they kick in there 2nd (35) for our  3rd (75). So we get 24, 27 & 35 for 9, 75.  

24- Christian Wilkins DT Clem

27- Marquise Brown Wr OKLA

35- TJ Hockenson TE Iowa

40- Hakeem Butler WR Iowa ST.

Man this kind of draft can do wonders for our Future.

You need more poll options.  I mean it depends whose on the board at 9 IMO.  

But at first glance, I don’t like it.  I would rather have a blue chip prospect than 2 riskier ones.  We need talent, not more bodies.  We have 10 picks already and tons of cap space to fill holes in FA.  

So give me talent and a more likely impact player.  

15 hours ago, TPS said:

They did this for their QB of the future (boy, did theirs come early!).  I really don't think there's anyone at 9 the Raiders will want.  If anything, I could see Gruden trading the Cards for the #1 pick to get Bosa.

If MLB Devin White still available at #9 i can see the Raiders moving up for him. There's a 50/50 chance of DW being there.

If Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen or Clelin Ferrell are there at 9, I pass on pre-determined trade (like the Broncos last year did to us at #5 when they took Bradley Chubb who dropped).

With Shaq and Jerry being potential FAs at end of 2019, adding an edge pass rusher is a much bigger priority than most think.  And Q Williams will be a very disruptive 3T immediately and help on both run and pass downs.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2

I think Gruden knows has has holes all over and needs as many picks as he can get. But you never know.....maybe if he fell in love with a QB who dropped?  Any chance that could ever happen? Gruden is to QB’s what Rex is to feet! 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, bigfootindy said:

Very early, just hypothetical trade.  Maybe the Raiders want a QB before the Broncos/Dolphins have a shot.  Trade chart shows:

Bills 9th: 1350

Raiders picks: 740 + 680 = 1420 (About a 5% premium)

Thoughts?

Thank you!

I've brought this up a few times before in previous threads.

If the Bills decide to use the 9th pick on a player they feel is the best for the team, fine. However, if they were to trade down with the Raiders, I would love it.

I think the Bills could use all of the picks they can get.

42 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I see the Redskins as potentially the most likely trade partner.  If the Raiders want a QB, the sensible thing to do is just pick him at #4, unless Jags / Giants move in front of them.

The rumor today was the Redskins have begun talking to teams about moving in front of Denver to get a QB.  Moving to 15, with Haskins / Murray / Lock / Jones all off the board by the time we hit the clock would be best case scenario IMO.

Yep this would be my target as well. Even better if they are competing with Denver. We could probably get a 2nd in this trade if we give back one of our 4ths. High 2nd round has a lot of value in this draft IMO.

14 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The Raiders don't want a QB at 4 but need one desperately at 9?

Doesn't have to be a QB, could be a player that fills an important need.

You know how Gruden "loves" every player he sees. He's crazy enough to do something like this.