Our Last Win in the Playoffs

I can remember after this game feeling really stoked about our chances to returning to another SB. Perhaps I was a little delusional but the team still looked really good and I thought the Steelers were posers. The following week, the Bills fell apart and were beaten by the Steelers in a mistake filled game without Bruce Smith (who mysteriously fell ill). That game against the Steelers to me was really the end of the dynasty. Even though they failed to make the playoffs the year before in 94/95 and lost to the Jags (in Kelly's last game) the next year in 96/97 WC , the beat down vs the Steelers in 95/96 was a changing of the guard.  Not only did we not win another playoff game after the Dolphins victory, but never again did I feel that overwhelming confidence going into a playoff game like I did in the Kelly years again.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I can remember after this game feeling really stoked about our chances to returning to another SB. Perhaps I was a little delusional but the team still looked really good and I thought the Steelers were posers. The following week, the Bills fell apart and were beaten by the Steelers in a mistake filled game without Bruce Smith (who mysteriously fell ill). That game against the Steelers to me was really the end of the dynasty. Even though they failed to make the playoffs the year before in 94/95 and lost to the Jags (in Kelly's last game) the next year in 96/97 WC , the beat down vs the Steelers in 95/96 was a changing of the guard.  Not only did we not win another playoff game after the Dolphins victory, but never again did I feel that overwhelming confidence going into a playoff game like I did in the Kelly years again.

Back then the Steelers' home field advantage in 3 Rivers was basically as good as Rich Stadium. Living there at that time, I had more close up info on them than I ever cared to. A monster defense under Cowher with Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd who were always a tough out, and they always had great backs to go along with it. Eric Green was basically unstoppable as a TE, he would consistently burn the Bills in the red zone because they had to respect the run so much.

You're right, not having Bruce that day really hurt us, and the Oline that kept Kelly in a clean pocket and opened up Mack truck sized holes for Thurman the week before against Miami, folded like a cheap suit in Pittsburgh, as tended to happen when playing the Stillers in Pittsburgh during that time.

It was a tough day as a Bills fan for sure. Honestly though, maybe I had blinders on and refused to see that the end was nigh, but I still felt like the Bills could've put another deep playoff run together in 96, but the Jags came out of nowhere to put finality on the end of our dynasty. All the more reason to enjoy/savor this Miami clip. :D    

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've always found great solace in the fact the Bills ended Don Shula's career putting up over 300 rushing yards on that team.

I also enjoy that Jimmy Johnson's NFL coaching career ended on the wrong side of a 62-7 thrashing by Jacksonville.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2019 at 12:13 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Should have. Were winning in Tennessee with 16 seconds left until, you know,  Wycheck to Dyson on that illegal play. 

Why did Wade leave 16secs on the clock that was the prb. We should ran the clock down to 3secs left and hit the fg and went on to Indy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Back then the Steelers' home field advantage in 3 Rivers was basically as good as Rich Stadium. Living there at that time, I had more close up info on them than I ever cared to. A monster defense under Cowher with Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd who were always a tough out, and they always had great backs to go along with it. Eric Green was basically unstoppable as a TE, he would consistently burn the Bills in the red zone because they had to respect the run so much.

You're right, not having Bruce that day really hurt us, and the Oline that kept Kelly in a clean pocket and opened up Mack truck sized holes for Thurman the week before against Miami, folded like a cheap suit in Pittsburgh, as tended to happen when playing the Stillers in Pittsburgh during that time.

It was a tough day as a Bills fan for sure. Honestly though, maybe I had blinders on and refused to see that the end was nigh, but I still felt like the Bills could've put another deep playoff run together in 96, but the Jags came out of nowhere to put finality on the end of our dynasty. All the more reason to enjoy/savor this Miami clip. :D    

Because I'm a masochist, I watched the Bills Steelers game  from 1995 just now. After watching the game, I can only conclude my brain must have blotted out the painful memory. What an absolute mess that game against the Steelers was!!! I would honestly say apart from the SB losses vs the Redskins and Dallas #1, it is probably one of the Bills worst playoff performances.  The Bills performed a total choke job. Thurman Thomas fumbled at a crucial point in the red zone, A high snap on a punt by the Bills led to easy pts, Lots a bad Kelly throws and INTs. In addition the Bills defense (which was good that year) was slapped around by the Steelers. Even on the O'Donnell INT the Bills player should have had a easy pick 6 but inexplicably drops the ball on the return and is tackled by a fast as molasses O line man. Biscuit also dropped an easy pick 6. The icing on the cake was the incredibly poor officiating which gave the Steelers a pass TD where the receiver had 1 foot in bounds as well as a bunch of other terrible calls. All with the added benefit of NO video replay reviews or challenges because the NFL got rid of it during that time period. And no Bruce Smith = no pass rush on the mediocre O'Donnell.  Just a complete disaster !!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Because I'm a masochist, I watched the Bills Steelers game  from 1995 just now. After watching the game, I can only conclude my brain must have blotted out the painful memory. What an absolute mess that game against the Steelers was!!! I would honestly say apart from the SB losses vs the Redskins and Dallas #1, it is probably one of the Bills worst playoff performances.  The Bills performed a total choke job. Thurman Thomas fumbled at a crucial point in the red zone, A high snap on a punt by the Bills led to easy pts, Lots a bad Kelly throws and INTs. In addition the Bills defense (which was good that year) was slapped around by the Steelers. Even on the O'Donnell INT the Bills player should have had a easy pick 6 but inexplicably drops the ball on the return and is tackled by a fast as molasses O line man. Biscuit also dropped an easy pick 6. The icing on the cake was the incredibly poor officiating which gave the Steelers a pass TD where the receiver had 1 foot in bounds as well as a bunch of other terrible calls. All with the added benefit of NO video replay reviews or challenges because the NFL got rid of it during that time period. And no Bruce Smith = no pass rush on the mediocre O'Donnell.  Just a complete disaster !!

You’re absolutely right, it was a terrible game, the exact opposite of the week before. I applaud your iron stomach to rewatch it. I actually did the same thing with some of the SB’s; still kills me how well we played at certain points during many of them. Even SB XXVII, check out the first quarter—We drive for points, we block a Dallas punt, and life feels good lol. Then in XXVIII, we basically dominate the whole first half. Still gets me every time. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I’m like that as well.  I used to watch The Music City Miracle Game during the drought to remind me of the when the Bills used to be good.  Of course though I didn’t put myself through the last 22 seconds.

I watched this playoff game against the Steelers as well.  The thing that struck me the most was that nasty hit Kelly took to take him out of the game.  In today’s league even if s omeone did that to a QB not named Brady they’d still get fined and suspended.  The game was much more physical then 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I’m like that as well.  I used to watch The Music City Miracle Game during the drought to remind me of the when the Bills used to be good.  Of course though I didn’t put myself through the last 22 seconds.

I watched this playoff game against the Steelers as well.  The thing that struck me the most was that nasty hit Kelly took to take him out of the game.  In today’s league even if s omeone did that to a QB not named Brady they’d still get fined and suspended.  The game was much more physical then 

Yes Kelly took several vicious shots from the Steelers in that game. On that hit he took a helmet spear to the upper body side while being crushed by another player from the front. Jim was a tough customer no doubt just to get up, let alone come back.  Another observation I had to go along with yours was that even though the game was much more physical, the opposing players would still help each other up off the field. You don't see that very often anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Yes Kelly took several vicious shots from the Steelers in that game. On that hit he took a helmet spear to the upper body side while being crushed by another player from the front. Jim was a tough customer no doubt just to get up, let alone come back.  Another observation I had to go along with yours was that even though the game was much more physical, the opposing players would still help each other up off the field. You don't see that very often anymore.

Kelly absorbed a ridiculous amount of punishment. Still makes me cringe remembering the spear to the knees that he took from Ken Norton Jr. in XXVII that knocked him out of that one—I think in today’s NFL it would’ve been automatic suspension, flagrant foul, fine, the works. Back then it was any given Sunday lol. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

On 1/16/2019 at 5:07 PM, Reed83HOF said:

I hope we get to find out - couldn't happen to a better fan base

Pats fans always say they’ve won more than enough for a lifetime and that they’ll have no problem adjusting.

Sure thing.  Let’s see that fan base after just 1 or 2 losing seasons.  They will fall apart.

• Like (+1) 1

On January 16, 2019 at 1:21 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Talk about paying your dues as a fanbase. I wonder if there would be any New England fans left if they had a run like that post-Brady? :rolleyes:

Three game losing streak and 93% of the chowderheads are gone.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/16/2019 at 12:32 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

At least the 2 of them were able to become good friends later in life--especially during his cancer battles, Jim's had Marino there to help support him. Kudos to Marino for that!

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sports-minute/dan-marino-visits-jim-kelly-in-hospital--shares-powerful-moment-with-former-rival-040925320.html

They have always been good friends. I went to the very first Kelly football camp for kids. Jim would bring in players from around the league to coach and speak. Marino was one of the speakers. The two of them were joking and carrying on pretty good. 

On 1/17/2019 at 2:24 AM, reddogblitz said:

On 1/17/2019 at 2:24 AM, reddogblitz said:

No.  I've been a Bills fan since 1996 which I believe was Wade's first season. In my time as a fan we are 0-4 with all losses within a TD.

I'm still waiting for a playoff won.

Marv was coach in 1996 and 1997. Wade became head coach in 1998 and was 0-2 in playoffs with road losses to Miami in 1998 and Tennessee in 1999. 

Edited by freddyjj

16 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I was under the impression that Kelly/Marino were friends for a long time..

Both Pennsylvania guys from Pittsburgh area, both superstar QBs in the NFL at the same time; I think they have been good friends for a long time, even with the intense rivalry among their teams back in the day.

• Thank you (+1) 1