Gerald McCoy: Cap casualty

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

If you get McCoy, you don't get Jordan Phillips.

I don't think that's the case, but we'll see if this actually comes to fruition. I'm guessing McCoy will sign elsewhere anyways but who knows

I'm all for it.

Grab LB Devin White in the Draft.  That would allow Edmunds to move around, White can move around. Sign Shaq to 5th year.

...................................Shaq/Murphy........... McCoy/ J Phillips........... H Phillips/Star........... Hughes/Zo 

..................D White/Zo..... ..........................................Edmunds/White..........................................Milano/Edmunds

Wallace...............................................................................................................................................................................T White

.................................................Poyer.............................................................Hyde

Defense would be set!!!!

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Mentioned it in here...I follow the Bucs very closely. He's still a very good DT and I have no doubt that he would be an upgrade over Kyle in the pass-rushing DT mold in the short-term. I do think there's a question to be answered about whether or not you really want to be spending roughly $30+ million at the DT position between Star, McCoy, and Jordan Phillips though. Buffalo certainly has the cap space to do it if they want and I'm sure McCoy would only be a short-term solution so it might make sense, but that's a very high % of the cap to pour into the interior D-Line.

Word - thanks to two bucs friends, I've paid more attention to Tampa than most other teams outside the division, and would agree on McCoy. Guy is a talent through and through and while he can still play, I would wonder what a big deal like this might look like in three years time as he ages. He would be an immediate upgrade for us given the roster, but to make this work long term in reference to cap % you'd likely have to restructure Star or let him go. 

This would especially be taken into consideration when it comes time to pay Tre, Milano, Dawkins, Edmunds, and whatever other young talent we need to address in 2 and 3 years time. 

The obvious counter here to McCoy is the draft as the depth of DL talent and lack of depth at our other positions may make DL less of a priority in FA, despite Beane's BPA strategy. Either way, wouldn't hate to see this happen, but would worry about anything we'd be giving up down the line in terms of young talent on the team.

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Not sure I agree with that. They play very different positions and Phillips is a depth player. He isn't a full time starter. McCoy is a great player and he's just 30 years old. You could easily sign both. 

I'd rather draft Williams. Oliver, Simmons, Wilkins, but I would take McCoy in a heartbeat. 

I understand, I'm not saying that McCoy replaces Phillips from a position perspective rather a financial one.  I don't think it's wise to spend that much money between the three of them in the DT position.  Don't get me wrong, DT's are extremely important I just don't like tying up so much in one area.

29 minutes ago, ducej11 said:

I for one, like this idea. I know the draft is heavy with defensive lineman, but I would prefer to have the flexibility on draft day to take best player available or trade down when necessary. Assuming of course that we can get him for a 3 year deal or less at a reasonable price.

DT is likely to be BPA

24 minutes ago, ducej11 said:

I think 10-12M a year is probably reasonable for him, but I wouldn't be shocked if a bidding war starts and he ends up getting 13-15M a season. 

13-15 is about right.  Suh got 14 and Donald averages 22.5.

3 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Word - thanks to two bucs friends, I've paid more attention to Tampa than most other teams outside the division, and would agree on McCoy. Guy is a talent through and through and while he can still play, I would wonder what a big deal like this might look like in three years time as he ages. He would be an immediate upgrade for us given the roster, but to make this work long term in reference to cap % you'd likely have to restructure Star or let him go. 

This would especially be taken into consideration when it comes time to pay Tre, Milano, Dawkins, Edmunds, and whatever other young talent we need to address in 2 and 3 years time. 

The obvious counter here to McCoy is the draft as the depth of DL talent and lack of depth at our other positions may make DL less of a priority in FA, despite Beane's BPA strategy. Either way, wouldn't hate to see this happen, but would worry about anything we'd be giving up down the line in terms of young talent on the team.

Yep. For that reason, I think I'd actually prefer to target McCoy in a trade rather than signing him after he's cut. If Tampa is willing to just take a Day 3 pick for him, Buffalo has those in spades this year and his contract as currently constructed is basically a series of three 1-year deals, so once it comes time to re-sign the young guys or once his play starts to really decline, you can cut him and get the full $13 million per year back.

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Mentioned it in here...I follow the Bucs very closely. He's still a very good DT and I have no doubt that he would be an upgrade over Kyle in the pass-rushing DT mold in the short-term. I do think there's a question to be answered about whether or not you really want to be spending roughly $30+ million at the DT position between Star, McCoy, and Jordan Phillips though. Buffalo certainly has the cap space to do it if they want and I'm sure McCoy would only be a short-term solution so it might make sense, but that's a very high % of the cap to pour into the interior D-Line.

Its been mentioned many times in the past.  For McDs style defense you have to have a rotation of about 7-8 guys on the Dline. DT right now we have Star and Harrison Phillips.  I do see them signing Jordan Phillips and if they can sure up the interior for the next 3 years with McCoy I don't see that being a huge issue considering the importance of that rotation.

But we know as well the FO doesn't make the huge splash.  I don't see it happening.  But I don't see it being a big Cap issue considering the nearly $90M cap space plus I see them letting Vlad and Clay go as well saving over $6M in cap space (that's Jordan Phillips contract there 4 yr $24M).

After listening to Beane say this team will be built through the draft it sounds like with Star making 10+ a year that's too much to invest in DT. I think it's highly likely we draft DT in the first round unless all the top guys are gone. 

Edited by Madd Charlie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He does the same thing Lotulelei does for more money...

He's literally the opposite type of DT from Star. McCoy has more sacks in the past two years than Star has in his entire career and McCoy even missed 3 games in that stretch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Magox said:

I understand, I'm not saying that McCoy replaces Phillips from a position perspective rather a financial one.  I don't think it's wise to spend that much money between the three of them in the DT position.  Don't get me wrong, DT's are extremely important I just don't like tying up so much in one area.

I gotcha. I don't think Phillips is going to cost too much, but I may be wrong. McCoy should get a reasonable deal. 

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He's literally the opposite type of DT from Star. McCoy has more sacks in the past two years than Star has in his entire career and McCoy even missed 3 games in that stretch.

They do similar things on the field imo. McCoy will draw doubles at about the same rate Lotulelei does.They're both good against the run. He doesn't get upfield all that well, and I'm not sure how often he's asked to do that. I'd say Lotulelei has a quicker first step but McCoy is stronger...imo Lotulelei is more technically capable and McCoy will tend to rely on overwhelming his guy with his strength. Sure he gets more sacks, but they're definitely not opposites in how they're utilized.