Super Bowl halftime show: Travis Scott performance deal requires NFL to donate to social justice charity

I wish the NFL would do something different for halftime.  I don't know what that'd be but the tortured process to find a musician has really run its course.  

It's a performance that tens of millions of people will see and the very best they can do is Maroon 5 and Travis Scott.  

Actually I do have an idea:  A longer version of the NFL "movies" the NFL network was running before their Thursday night games.  They were well done, poignant, positive and there are lots of good stories to tell or a fictional Rocky-esque story where real NFL players and a real NFL coach find themselves trapped in a Madden game where the opposing team is all upleveled to 99 and coached by Vince Lombardi and played by the best Madden player in the world.  The game is announced by the voices of Madden and Summerall.   

I'm all about the tie-ins.

Regardless, something light and chill for 15 minutes that you can show on TV.    

time for another channel to bring back the Bud Wiser helmets playing a game during halftime.  

SB 1/2 shows have been awful for a while.  This year takes the cake. 

2 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Donate to social justice now a days = Anti Trump. This and many other comments are all code words for their distaste of Trump.

or anti-police, etc.   It has nothing to do with actual "justice" for anything.  No one can define it.  I spend a lot of my time helping victims of domestic abuse.  Since the NFL has an issue with that, why don't they donate to that cause, instead of an amorphous "social justice," which is just code for whatever charity the performer thinks is worthy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He is actually my son's favorite artist. He has seen him twice. It's not really my cup of tea, but he is good for his genre, albeit pretty experimental (and certainly more experimental than most super bowl halftime artists).

BINGO! He may not be known to the majority of posters on TSW, but trust and believe your kids know who he is. Thats why the NFL is having him perform. They're trying to secure the next generation (or "secure the bag")... thats why new stadiums have technology for Fantasy, daily fantasy (sports betting), and quick 45 - 60 second highlights on social media. 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

time for another channel to bring back the Bud Wiser helmets playing a game during halftime.  

SB 1/2 shows have been awful for a while.  This year takes the cake. 

or anti-police, etc.   It has nothing to do with actual "justice" for anything.  No one can define it.  I spend a lot of my time helping victims of domestic abuse.  Since the NFL has an issue with that, why don't they donate to that cause, instead of an amorphous "social justice," which is just code for whatever charity the performer thinks is worthy. 

Right. Imo , “ social justice” is code for anti Police , anti law, anti white, anti male , anti hetero. Crock of BS

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, yungmack said:

I was surprised how many here actually care about...and even watch...the half time show. I remember when they had marching bands! First show biz half time featured broadway star Carol Channing, who just died...at 97. 

her exotic dance in the movie Skidoo was unforgettable.

9 minutes ago, teef said:

Has anyone seen all the hoopla over the Gillette razor commercial?  I think it’s a super bowl commercial at least. 

charging women 40% more for the same razor than men pay for their version?

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You guys make me feel young sometimes. There are really this many people on here that have never heard of Travis Scott? He is Kylie Jenner’s (the hottest of the Kardashian’s don’t @ me) baby daddy. He isn’t just famous for Sicko Mode at this point. He famous in pop culture. 

My son actually attended this now infamous show at Terminal 5 in NYC. He said it was completely insane. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/arts/music/travis-scott-sued-concert-injury.html. I have to think that the NFL is aware of the rep of his concerts, but after all they had the Who perform a halftime show ...

Edited by dave mcbride