What Would Josh Allen Skeptics Need To See In Order To Buy In?

Kangaxx

Not a skeptic (was prior to the draft).  But he needs to improve on his intermediate throws and have better touch.  I saw this a few times toward the end of the season.  It's all a matter of controlling his arm strength. 

2 hours ago, dlonce said:

He can do nothing. True skeptics will always find something wrong with his game.

There are people who are on the fence with him. Those are not skeptics.

Jim Kelly had true skeptics. They were the people clamoring to start Frank Reich.

Its what people do.

some fans favorite players are always the backup QB.  Happens everywhere. 

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

I don't care what his completion percentage is if he is winning games. I am open to the possibility that more than one kind of QB can succeed in the NFL and that Josh Allen may be such a unique talent that you have to throw out the cookie-cutter stats in determining his value.  

I think better touch on ball=better completion percentage.  Some WR's cant handle his rifle throws 5 yards out.  Perhaps hard to track when ball is moving so fast. 

2 hours ago, Chris66 said:

By year 3. 65% 4000yds 25td 12 int.

I think 60 is a more fair number.  We aren't really running 10 screens a game, and we haven't really started using an offense that gets the ball to our backs a ton.  If we do those things i think he'll be in the 60 range.

Cam  completed 67% of his passes this year with McCaffrey as their leading receiver, when he traditionally hovered around 59.

I’d like to see him make more of the routine throws more consistently. He makes plent of big plays-and I obviously want that to continue.

however a lot of short slants and dump offs that could lead to 5-10 yard gains that keep drives alive he still misses too much 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like to see:

*  a completion percentage in the 60s with a good completion rate where ever on the field he's throwing.

*  quicker reads and throws.  

*  more consistent poise in the pocket. 

*  a passing attack that can put up 300+ yards and put fear/respect in a D.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I wouldn't say I'm sold on Josh Allen, but I'm optimistic as I was when they drafted him.  I think the odds have increased over the 2018 season that he'll develop into a franchise QB, but I don't yet think it can be set in stone.

9 hours ago, Mickey said:

I don't care what his completion percentage is if he is winning games. I am open to the possibility that more than one kind of QB can succeed in the NFL and that Josh Allen may be such a unique talent that you have to throw out the cookie-cutter stats in determining his value. 

this.

when we win our first playoff game since 1995 with JA under center, even the haters will have to come around.

regardless what his box scores are, that will be a win with JA stamped all over it.

Do you mean what would it take for someone to not analyze his game and just pretend he is a top 5 QB?  

Cause im not sure I see any hate towards Allen. Everyone wants him to succeed. I don’t see where all these so called haters are. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I wonder if that scramble dump off to Ivory was coincidence or a designed breakdown play.

i ask because when watching highlights of Allen in 2018.  Allen/Ivory pulled off near identical play against Vikings.

Good thought. Whether it was by design or improvisation, I like it.

I'd feel a lot better about Allen if the team did a better job putting him in positions to succeed. There's a reason he looked better throwing to Foster and Mckenzie. Those guys could get open. Also, we need a new line. 

Edited by VW82

13 hours ago, drf1835 said:

The only wall we need is the Stadium Wall. Now, if Josh could throw a couple of darts to the southeast at certain person's orange and turtle heads, I would be his fan forever regardless how he plays in the future.

Maybe a couple of darts to the California prune and build a wall for me.

17 hours ago, ganesh said:

Work on the short passing game.

Throw those slants that allows WR and RBs to gain yards after catch

Make clutch throws to keep drives alive

HoF QBs like Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers -  This is what they do well and really WELL!!!!  

He really has to work on the 1st two.  If gets to move the chains the big plays will come.  A lot of time his throws were good enough to be caught but the catcher couldn't gain any further yards due to the positioning of the football.  This has to change for him to become an effective passer.

This. Keep making 1st downs.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:38 PM, Another Fan said:

He grew on me as the year went on but he’s gotta improve the TD to INT ratio.  I know he super exceeded my expectations for his athleticism but 10TD to 12INT isn’t good 

But if you consider this season as being 2 mini-seasons for Allen he did improve his TD/INT ratio:

Pre-Injury Allen was 2 TD/5 INT

Post-Injury Allen was 8 TD/7 INT

That's a huge improvement and bodes well for further improvement next season.