What Would Josh Allen Skeptics Need To See In Order To Buy In?

Kangaxx

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I was half-joking about that part. But you have to admit, a couple of Super Bowl wins would convince the skeptics. (So would all the stuff you wrote.)

Isn't that why we got him? The guy we had couldn't so we had to tank and trade up to get him.

He needs to pass better.  He needs to run less.  Most importantly, when the game is tight at the end, he needs to figure out a way to win.

I want to see a big improvement on pre snap recognition and hitting his dump offs when needed.

If he does just these two things his completion pct starts to float around 60%, his yardage goes for around 220-240 a game and we probably win 10-12 games next year. 

Also I’d like for him to slide earlier. Extra 4 yards when you’ve already broken the first down marker and risking a hit isn’t as important as important as staying healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

Work on the short passing game.

Throw those slants that allows WR and RBs to gain yards after catch

Make clutch throws to keep drives alive

HoF QBs like Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers -  This is what they do well and really WELL!!!!  

He really has to work on the 1st two.  If gets to move the chains the big plays will come.  A lot of time his throws were good enough to be caught but the catcher couldn't gain any further yards due to the positioning of the football.  This has to change for him to become an effective passer.

I don't care what his completion percentage is if he is winning games. I am open to the possibility that more than one kind of QB can succeed in the NFL and that Josh Allen may be such a unique talent that you have to throw out the cookie-cutter stats in determining his value. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I don't care what his completion percentage is if he is winning games. I am open to the possibility that more than one kind of QB can succeed in the NFL and that Josh Allen may be such a unique talent that you have to throw out the cookie-cutter stats in determining his value. 

If a QB only completed 50% of his throws, but those completions are for 20+ yards, aren't you better off than hitting 75% of piddly dump offs?

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He needs to build the wall so this government shutdown can end. Only then will I be a believer in him as our franchise QB.

Naw. He'd just leap over it. :lol:

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I'm on the record that overall, for a QB to be a guy a franchise can win with consistently, he has to complete >59% of his passes, have a TD/INT ratio of 1.5, throw for 6.5 YPA, and generally be able to pass for more than ~215-220 ypg.

So that's what  I need to see Allen deliver on a regular basis.  Note: not saying he sucks now or has to do all that next year, but that's what he needs to deliver.

For the eyeball test part, he needs to read the field better and use his athleticism to help him pass, rather than to run so much.

I'm good with the occasional scrambles for first downs, but i agree.  Most of his big plays this year were with his legs not his arm.  Need to see him buy time and find that receiver on the sideline etc.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If a QB only completed 50% of his throws, but those completions are for 20+ yards, aren't you better off than hitting 75% of piddly dump offs?

As far as the pure math of it goes, than yes, averaging 10 yards per completion and completing 30 throws per game is a good number. However, if you're inaccurate at 20 yards downfield, which everyone is more inaccurate on a 20 yard throw vs a 5 yard throw, as I see it, it does 2 things:

1. Much higher chance of interceptions, inaccurately throwing the ball that deep into the secondary. You can have your 30 completion, 300 yard game, but if you add 3 INTs to that game, you won't win more that 30% of those games.

2. Having short-to-midrange accuracy in the passing game is incredibly effective in wearing out a defense, vs all of the shots being taken 20+ yards downfield. If you are going somewhat deep every time, eventually you will run into a defense that will be able to stop most of those passes, and you will be ending the 1st half 6-17 for 48 yards, which is what we did on offense for almost the whole 2/3 of this season. If teams know they have to defend shallow routes with the same veracity that they have to defend deep routes, than both the running game and the deep passing game open up, but most importantly, the team keeps clicking off 1st downs, and stays on the field.

I don't know exactly what the league standard number is, or what Allen's current number is, but I feel like if Allen can get his completion percentage on passes 5-15 yards from the LoS to be >65%, maybe even 70%, just on those throws in particular, I know we have a keeper. All of the 4th quarter comebacks, all of the yards/game, that will all come, if he can execute at this rate, I feel.

He can do nothing. True skeptics will always find something wrong with his game.

There are people who are on the fence with him. Those are not skeptics.

Jim Kelly had true skeptics. They were the people clamoring to start Frank Reich.

Its what people do.

Edited by dlonce

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He needs to build the wall so this government shutdown can end. Only then will I be a believer in him as our franchise QB.

The only wall we need is the Stadium Wall. Now, if Josh could throw a couple of darts to the southeast at certain person's orange and turtle heads, I would be his fan forever regardless how he plays in the future.

I like the kid.  I think he'll get better with experience.  As with most young QBs the game needs to slow down for him, so he can make quicker reads, get the ball out quicker, make the right decisions such as dumping the ball off quicker when warranted.  I have no issues with his mechanics; he needs to be more precise on passes but when given time he shows  good accuracy and precision.  When he has a more solid O line and better WRs it will help.

One thing about the question posed by the OP though.  It presupposes skeptics want to but in.  I think that's probably true form most in that category.  But if one reads posts around here with any degree of regularity it is clear there are some here that would prefer Allen fail so they can sit on this site and crow about how they were right.  Which is just sad.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I'm on the record that overall, for a QB to be a guy a franchise can win with consistently, he has to complete >59% of his passes, have a TD/INT ratio of 1.5, throw for 6.5 YPA, and generally be able to pass for more than ~215-220 ypg.

So that's what  I need to see Allen deliver on a regular basis.  Note: not saying he sucks now or has to do all that next year, but that's what he needs to deliver.

For the eyeball test part, he needs to read the field better and use his athleticism to help him pass, rather than to run so much.

Noticed you said nothing about wins.  Do you just want to see better box scores?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Noticed you said nothing about wins.  Do you just want to see better box scores?

" For a QB to be a guy a franchise can win with consistently " appears to say something about wins.

Football is a team game. Above a certain threshold of QB'ing, whether or not a team wins depends more upon the other 41 players on the field.  

People are like "Foles magic came to an end on Sunday."  Iggles wouldn't have been where they needed Foles magic late in the 4Q if they hadn't been letting NO convert 3rd-and-forever and drive up and down the field multiple times all freakin' game. 

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Not sure he has the political chops to do that quite yet...........but once built, he could jump OVER said wall, so we have that going for us.

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Isn't that why we got him? The guy we had couldn't so we had to tank and trade up to get him.

He needs to pass better.  He needs to run less.  Most importantly, when the game is tight at the end, he needs to figure out a way to win.

He already did what was necessary for a come back win: he just needed Clay to catch the ball in the Miami end zone.  I was at the game and saw Clay's pathetic effort right in front of me.  Allen did his job.

• Like (+1) 2