Bills hire Bobby Johnson as offensive line coach

One can't help but wonder if the Bills just "stole" this coach from the Colts?  It's admittedly odd that Reich fired their OL coach this week -- was Johnson going to be promoted or had Reich already told him to look elsewhere?  Did the Bills just jump on this early and wow him?  From the outside looking in it's a curious decision to leave Indy for Buffalo unless there's something we don't know -- which could be a number of things.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The good news is that Johnson go to watch a coach be an O-line coach before the Bills hired him, so...

well the staff had something to look at from 2010 - 2011.  didn't we lead the league in rushing?  didn't spiller lead the league one year in rushing with a 6 + ypc avg.?

just trying to dust off the memory....

A different take on the TE coaching experience. 

Off the top of my head, I don't recall the TE's being adept blockers. 

I haven't had any co-workers tell me he's terrible (as I did with Castillo), so that's something. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, bills_fan said:

Can he bring RG Glowinski with him?  Cause then this is a steal.

I was wondering the same thing - though I don't know enough about the Colts to know if they plan on re-signing him, but my guess would be he'd want to stay on the playoff team trending up if he could.

56 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This is why we keep you around @Augie--keepin' it real!

Somebody somewhere posted the top FA OL options and how they came into the league. I’m too lazy to look it up, but there were as many 6th rounders as 1st or 2nd as I recall. I’m not AGAINST taking a quality guy high in the draft (within reason), but they are often developed over time with good coaching and hard work. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Well I have to say Chris brown, knew what he was talking about when he said McDermott, was looking to  get younger Coaches.  I like the moves of special teams and offensive line you get a younger perspective on things,  time will only tell if it works.  I only wish Frazier would have left because I am starting not to like his out dated cover two. 

20 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Well I have to say Chris brown, knew what he was talking about when he said McDermott, was looking to  get younger Coaches.  I like the moves of special teams and offensive line you get a younger perspective on things,  time will only tell if it works.  I only wish Frazier would have left because I am starting not to like his out dated cover two. 

The one thing that I will say in Frazier' defense is that the players absolutely love him. He is a well respected Tony Dungy disciple. I think he just needs to be a bit more aggressive like they were in the Miami game. 

26 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The one thing that I will say in Frazier' defense is that the players absolutely love him. He is a well respected Tony Dungy disciple. I think he just needs to be a bit more aggressive like they were in the Miami game. 

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this.  Frazier seems to go into a shell when he plans against better QBs such as Rivers, Luck, Rogers, Flacco, and Brady.  The Vikings game was interesting, he went after Cousins, with great results.  I'm not sure why some of these DCs think you can still get away with rushing 3 or 4, not get pressure on the QB, and expect the defensive backfield to hold down the fort, so to speak.  DB is a difficult position to play since the rules are skewed in favor of the WR.  Just a bad strategy, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this.  Frazier seems to go into a shell when he plans against better QBs 

McDermott ran the same way with Carolina when he was a DC, so I suspect he's OK with Frazier game planning on that.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

https://buffalonews.com/2017/09/01/analyzing-mcdermott-d-front-seven-makes-breaks/

"McDermott blitzes enough to keep offenses honest. He blitzed (five or more rushers) between 24 percent and 28 percent the past four years, by Football Outsiders stats. That ranked between 17th and 24th. It's not a gambling defense, like Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams and Todd Bowles prefer."

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

McDermott ran the same way with Carolina when he was a DC, so I suspect he's OK with Frazier game planning on that.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

https://buffalonews.com/2017/09/01/analyzing-mcdermott-d-front-seven-makes-breaks/

"McDermott blitzes enough to keep offenses honest. He blitzed (five or more rushers) between 24 percent and 28 percent the past four years, by Football Outsiders stats. That ranked between 17th and 24th. It's not a gambling defense, like Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams and Todd Bowles prefer."

Thanks for the articles.  I wasn't able to view the Buffalo News piece, but the Buffalo Rumblings article gives a lot of insight into McD's scheme.  Frazier seems to be more conservative than McD, though.  So you're probably correct that McD generally OK with Frazier's planning, but interesting how different the D was the second half of the Charger game when McD took over the play calling.

13 hours ago, iinii said:

The best o-line? Is this a stat or conjecture? Either way they are done for the year. Hardly seems like they are the best. 

At protecting the quarterback and giving him the  time to throw they were. In 99” the bills had the best defensive in the league and where were we after the music city miracle debacle. At home! 

17 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

.....not to mention his bread and butter being " rush 4 " as well as his reluctance to blitz.  look at what bb threw at rivers.  every single snap he was sending someone and 2 most of the time.  ironically, that's the only way to beat brady.

i too was hoping for an upgrade at dc.

18 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this.  Frazier seems to go into a shell when he plans against better QBs such as Rivers, Luck, Rogers, Flacco, and Brady.  The Vikings game was interesting, he went after Cousins, with great results.  I'm not sure why some of these DCs think you can still get away with rushing 3 or 4, not get pressure on the QB, and expect the defensive backfield to hold down the fort, so to speak.  DB is a difficult position to play since the rules are skewed in favor of the WR.  Just a bad strategy, IMO.

You are certainly not alone in this.  It drove me crazy as well.  

18 hours ago, Chicharito said:

At protecting the quarterback and giving him the  time to throw they were. In 99” the bills had the best defensive in the league and where were we after the music city miracle debacle. At home! 

Stats are for baseball and insurance salesmen. If they are the best o-line in football why are they not still playing in this pass happy offensive league?