Bills hire Bobby Johnson as offensive line coach

19 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Thanks for the articles.  I wasn't able to view the Buffalo News piece, but the Buffalo Rumblings article gives a lot of insight into McD's scheme.  Frazier seems to be more conservative than McD, though.  So you're probably correct that McD generally OK with Frazier's planning, but interesting how different the D was the second half of the Charger game when McD took over the play calling.

My perception and concern is not how often they blitz, but rather when.

It seems that when we have the lead our defense tends towards the conservative and I cannot count how many times our "D" seems to lay off the gas and piss away a lead towards the end of a game. That and our gap control and run fits frankly suck... not sure if I am sold on the concept of d-linemen occupying blockers to free up linebackers as it seems like the running backs hit those gaps with a full head of steam and either our linebackers whiff on an arm tackle or get carried 5 yards deep.

I prefer defenses that attack the gaps and play on the other side of the LOS - especially when trying to stop the run.

Granted, I may be oversimplifying things and would welcome some all-22 review of our defensive alignments of the many times our defense got ran over last year.

OG Bobby Johnson also got some serious ties with the Oakland "Duece" Raiders look for a trade for either OG Kelichi Osemele or for C Rodney Hudson which is on his last yr of his deal.

I believe Osemele will be the more likely trade option because there's already rumors of his departure. He has 2yrs 20mil remaining on his deal. 

OG Bobby got some work to do with Beane i can see us forming this line like Voltron this offseason. 

LT Dawkins

LG Osemele - via trade for 6th rd pk

C Big Mitch -  4yrs 36 mil deal

RG Glowinski - 4yrs 32mil

RT D Will - 5yrs 55mil 

6 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

.....not to mention his bread and butter being " rush 4 " as well as his reluctance to blitz.  look at what bb threw at rivers.  every single snap he was sending someone and 2 most of the time.  ironically, that's the only way to beat brady.

i too was hoping for an upgrade at dc.

Couldn't disagree more, Brady is one of the all-time greats against the blitz.  I don't know how you beat him, but blitzing ain't it, IMO...

Regardless, I hope that OUR O-line can handle the blitz better with our new coach!

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Couldn't disagree more, Brady is one of the all-time greats against the blitz.  I don't know how you beat him, but blitzing ain't it, IMO...

Yep.  If all it took was blitzing, Brady would be nothing more than a high rent version of Nathan Peterman...

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Regardless, I hope that OUR O-line can handle the blitz better with our new coach!

well scheming against him with 6 dbs sure as hell doesn't work either. only two teams have been able to beat him rushing 4. the giants and last year's champs.....not to mention they were able to keep up scoring with him.  loser mentality to be scared to blitz him. if ya can't beat him...hurt him.  the chargers should have done the exact same thing bb did to rivers, they hit him a lot and when he got cornered into passing every down, they hit him on every snap.

2 hours ago, Heitz said:

I was listening to an NFL DB on the radio today (forget who or what team, but a vet...maybe someone who just retired?). He was saying the worst thing you could do against Brady is blitz him. He’s just too good pre-snap and he’ll burn you every time. He said he not only knows his job and what to do, but he knows YOUR job and what you’re trying to do. About all you can try is to overload the rush and try to beat or trick the Oline, because you’re NOT going to beat Brady. 

Stick to rushing 3-4 guys and pray for the best. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, iinii said:

Stats are for baseball and insurance salesmen. If they are the best o-line in football why are they not still playing in this pass happy offensive league?

The bills have the 2nd best defense in the nfl how come we are not still playing. Your points make as much sense as a 7 year old trying to read war and peace.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I was listening to an NFL DB on the radio today (forget who or what team, but a vet...maybe someone who just retired?). He was saying the worst thing you could do against Brady is blitz him. He’s just too good pre-snap and he’ll burn you every time. He said he not only knows his job and what to do, but he knows YOUR job and what you’re trying to do. About all you can try is to overload the rush and try to beat or trick the Oline, because you’re NOT going to beat Brady. 

Makes me wonder if Tom Brady is going to retire as a QB only to become Belichick's replacement as Head Coach.  If Kliff Kingsbury and Zac Taylor can become head coaches, why not Tom Brady?  Then the Bills would never be rid of him for the foreseeable future.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Makes me wonder if Tom Brady is going to retire as a QB only to become Belichick's replacement as Head Coach.  If Kliff Kingsbury and Zac Taylor can become head coaches, why not Tom Brady?  Then the Bills would never be rid of him for the foreseeable future.

...STORMY McDaniels does NOT approve of this message......the alleged heir apparent (COUGH)..........

2 hours ago, Augie said:

sounds about right.

The other method is to knock him around after the release and piss him off. 
he gets pissed at his players .
Defenses ( front seven generally ) need to defend passing lanes against him diligently. is my humbled opinion..

Edited by 3rdand12

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

sounds about right.

The other method is to knock him around after the release and piss him off. 
he gets pissed at his players .
Defenses ( front seven generally ) need to defend passing lanes against him diligently. is my humbled opinion..

I’m afraid the refs would insist upon an immediate public execution  of the offender....AND Jerry Hughes if he’s anywhere in the stadium. 

Josh? Oh, that kid is fair game. Go for it! 

Edited by Augie

32 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...STORMY McDaniels does NOT approve of this message......the alleged heir apparent (COUGH)..........

Tom Brady is 41 and Josh McDaniels is 42.  I wonder which one Kraft would rather see coaching elsewhere?  Obviously I have no idea if Brady would even want to coach, but I bet he could get a good staff together and would be as good of a HC as these other inexperienced guys.

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m afraid the refs would insist upon an immediate public execution  of the offender....AND Jerry Hughes if he’s anywhere in the stadium. 

Josh? Oh, that kid is fair game. Go for it! 

Some need to be sacrificed for the good off the Team.
especially a player who is not coming back anyways.

outside the box inside the box thinking from me.
No one has done it. and they are still winning.

Ruffle his hair . He hates that.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Tom Brady is 41 and Josh McDaniels is 42.  I wonder which one Kraft would rather see coaching elsewhere?  Obviously I have no idea if Brady would even want to coach, but I bet he could get a good staff together and would be as good of a HC as these other inexperienced guys.

...good assessment......I'd bet Tom with the Brady family combined wealth retires and sails off into the sunset to enjoy his family...I'd sure as hell would....

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I imagine he is and has been a student of the game, and might well be worth at shot at QBs Ass Coach for a season and feel it out. But nothing more suggest to me he can Coach above that

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Some need to be sacrificed for the good off the Team.
especially a player who is not coming back anyways.

outside the box inside the box thinking from me.
No one has done it. and they are still winning.

Ruffle his hair . He hates that.

Sounds like Ghostbusters to me! 

What is that exact quote.......? 

Is that the tinkling on the piano?

NO, NOT that tinkling! Minds out of the gutter people. 

I find the offensive line so boring and freely admit I know nothing about evaluating it.  I do believe it’s a position group where a coach can make a huge difference.  So please draft mean, smart players and keep them together for a few year.  And stop switching the blocking schemes.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Chicharito said:

The bills have the 2nd best defense in the nfl how come we are not still playing. Your points make as much sense as a 7 year old trying to read war and peace.

You are making my point for me. Our second best defense didn’t even sniff the playoffs. Age is just a number, War and Peace is just a book, and there is only one stat that matters. Wins and losses. You probably shouldn’t read War and Peace, you probably wouldn’t understand it.

Edited by iinii