Bills hire Bobby Johnson as offensive line coach

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Given that the three top names on the market - Munchak, Campen and Kugler - are gone I am not going to hate on this hire. I don't know anything about Johnson but he seems like a guy still on the upswing of his career who was around a good offensive line this season that took a big step on Indy. That is a reasonable starting point, fingers crossed it works out. I didn't want a failed retread - Philbin etc. 

Great point. If the top of class, proven veteran guys are already gone then you might as well take the young guy on the upswing rather than a 'safe' retread.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/1/15/18183989/5-coaches-the-colts-could-look-at-for-offensive-line-coach

Bobby Johnson (Colts Assistant OL Coach)

Another experienced coach who wouldn’t have to travel far to take this job. Coming over from Oakland when Reich took the head coaching job, Johnson formerly coached tight ends for the Raiders from 2015-2017. In his entire career, Johnson has 23 years of coaching offensive lineman and tight ends and no doubt played a big part in the development of Cox and Ebron this season.

Johnson would be a very interesting hire as he seems to be very well liked and well respected in the Colts’ locker room.

4 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

By top 3. You mean the 3 most reported in the media.

No I mean those were the three very capable, proven Oline coaches in this league with a track record of success. I'd have been delighted with any of those they were clearly the most qualified three free agent OL coaches available. 

After them none of the other names are guys who have that proven track record of success and, therefore, I like the idea of taking a shot on a guy lower down the food chain who might step up rather than a retread failure. 

If he was seriously a candidate for the OL coach in Indy, with all that talent...why come here? Either he wasn’t getting that job, he loves a serious challenge, or we opened the checkbook. Just my guess....

Just now, Augie said:

If he was seriously a candidate for the OL coach in Indy, with all that talent...why come here? Either he wasn’t getting that job, he loves a serious challenge, or we opened the checkbook. Just my guess....

Maybe this is also the first NFL team he got a job with.

I like it. My immediate thought? "Bobby's a good name".

It makes me think of Patrick Duffy in Dallas. He was a good guy. Smart, trustworthy, always stood up to JR, and even managed to bring himself back to life. I never met a Bobby in my whole life who I didn't like.

Count me in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Maybe this is also the first NFL team he got a job with.

That could be, but I think OL talent level, overall quality of the team and cold hard ca$h would come ahead of nostalgia as he tries to build a career and resume. 

56 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

OG Bobby Johnson????

Lmao!!! If they dont act right he is gonna bust a cap in their ass...

"And now a report from the sidelines...Lisa, what have you got?"

"Well Bob, it looks like Jordan Mills has been ruled out for the game with what the Bills are calling a foot injury...apparently OG Bobby Johnson pulled Mills inside the medical tent and after a heated argument shot him in the foot because he claimed 'if you want to play like you only got one leg I'm gonna give you a reason to play on one leg'...looks like things are getting heated on the Bills sideline...back to you..."

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Wow, seems like that is bottom of the barrel. 

This stinks.

You base this on what?  What coaches should they have hired instead, and why?  

How does the experience of the coaches you name mesh with what the Bills want to do going forward?  What techniques do they teach?  What blocking schemes do they believe in?  What do they prefer, physically, in their offensive linemen--Bigger, stronger, or smaller and more mobile?  How does that relate to what McD and Daboll want to do on offense going forward?  Who vouched for them?  What are their reputations within the league, among players, among coaches?

Can you expound on any of those questions?