Bills hire Bobby Johnson as offensive line coach

11 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Some posters usually dig up some decent timelines on these guys and their previous tenures. That’s probably the only thing worth while, I agree no one really knows.

Him being around a good Oline last year is a decent start, he knows how it’s supposed to look. I wonder what he will think when watching tape on his new guys. 

Yeah, as a fan it’s very tough to know how good of a job a position coach does. 

When they have some NFL history you can at least look up their results (in some cases, anyway) and maybe some blurbs on them from NFL players etc. 

But I meant more on this particular hire. I doubt there are many here that have even as much as a passing opinion on the guy (though I’m sure that won’t stop some from complaining about the hire...), since he’s never been more than an assistant o line coach at the NFL level. And I doubt that there are many people on here that know (or remember) how good Indiana’s offensive line was from 2005-09 (the only time he was the head o line coach that I am aware of).  

He is a fresh hire. We just have to wait and give him some time. Hopefully McDermott and Daboll got it right. 

28 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Wow, seems like that is bottom of the barrel. 

This stinks.

Obviously, it hasn’t sunk in you offer little to no value here. Please try the Dolphins websites. They’re in a state of flux and would welcome new insight...

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

I seriously do not care one bit who we have as position coaches. There is no way fans know if these guys are good or bad.

I agree.

Still, sometimes it's fun to talk about it as though we did. 

Putting together a couple of pieces, I think this guy got hired because (1) the word around the league was that he was really the guy who built that line this season, not the o line coach and (2) the Bills know he's big into the process.   

I don't know 1 for a fact - it's just a hunch, but the coaches know each other and talk, they know who's really good and who isn't.  The word gets around, and you see differences in line play where he's been, stuff like that.   So although it may be mystifying to us why'd the Bills did this, around the league people know this guy is a comer.  Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

As to 2, after Luck's playoff win this season, he said practice won't be any different this week than in previous weeks - come in, do our work.  Just stick with the process.  The process.   That means Reich is using a system similar to McDermott's, and the Bills could see that this guy a "process" guy.  That's a big character point for people in the organization.  

• Like (+1) 3

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-ANNOUNCES-HEAD-COACHES-FOR-2018-EAST-WEST-SHRINE-GAME.aspx

"Our partnership with the NFL has once again given us two excellent head coaches," said Harold Richardson, executive director of the East-West Shrine Game. "Jonathan Hayes and Bobby Johnson are both outstanding coaches and certainly up-and-coming NFL head coaching prospects.  It is not only a great opportunity for them, but it is also a great learning experience for our players as they prepare for their NFL careers."'

At the conclusion of the NFL regular season, teams nominated deserving assistant coaches who were reviewed by a panel that includes NFL Football Operations staff, East-West Shrine Game leadership and two members of the NFL's General Managers Advisory Committee. Once the head coaches are selected, each head coach then fills his 12-person staff from among other NFL assistant coaches nominated by the clubs, a key job requirement for head coaches at every level of the sport.

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I won't pretend to know anything about this guy, but why not hire the Colts O-line coach and not the assistant?

Because we needed a pair of eyebrows on our staff like Bobby has--can you imagine the sheer amount of glower this guy could put in his stares to make a rookie quake in his boots if a blocking assignment gets missed? :angry::D

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Because we needed a pair of eyebrows on our staff like Bobby has--can you imagine the sheer amount of glower this guy could put in his stares to make a rookie quake in his boots if a blocking assignment gets missed? :angry::D

Maybe his glower will help motivate Dawkins off his hot seat? :D

• Thank you (+1) 1

Given that the three top names on the market - Munchak, Campen and Kugler - are gone I am not going to hate on this hire. I don't know anything about Johnson but he seems like a guy still on the upswing of his career who was around a good offensive line this season that took a big step on Indy. That is a reasonable starting point, fingers crossed it works out. I didn't want a failed retread - Philbin etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Given that the three top names on the market - Munchak, Campen and Kugler - are gone I am not going to hate on this hire. I don't know anything about Johnson but he seems like a guy still on the upswing of his career who was around a good offensive line this season that took a big step on Indy. That is a reasonable starting point, fingers crossed it works out. I didn't want a failed retread - Philbin etc. 

By top 3. You mean the 3 most reported in the media.