Brandon Beane interview: Signing of Duke Williams, LeSean McCoy's O-line comments & his free-agency approach

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

No don’t pay someone something that isn’t worth it, dont draft a third round player in the first round.  You know kind of like Whaley did with EJ.Don’t pay a guy 12-13 mil if he’s not worth it. You know kinda like Whaley did with Dareus and Clay. 

I didn't like Whaley and hated the EJ pick and didn't like the Clay signing...but it's hard for me to kill him on Dareus. He was really good and at times dominant during those 2 years before the extension. 

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What is his point? 

Dont overpay because the expectations will be too high if you do? 

What a lame response.

You are consistent, I’ll give you that!   ?

I’d prefer to not overpay, because I’d prefer not to overpay. The high expectation thing is just a side effect. Are you FOR overpaying? Go for value in the draft and FA. Do NOT reach, that does not make the guy a better player just because you took him a round or two too soon. 

8 hours ago, BillsVet said:

And, throw in a coach who doesn't seem to embrace that games are won and lost by scoring points and having enough defense.  He seems the opposite of that.

No, what’s more likely is that McD played to the roster’s strength his first two years.

52 minutes ago, eball said:

No, what’s more likely is that McD played to the roster’s strength his first two years.

And no money to sign talent because of all the dead cap.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Any predictions on the new hires??

Nah, I don't know anything about them.  Certainly the ST guy played ST at a very high level in the NFL and has a fresh perspective; he's also much closer in age to today's players and the hope would be that he can reach them and inspire a greatly improved unit.  Time will tell.  I'm thrilled he's not a retread.

As for the OL coach, again, I'm glad he's not a retread and is certainly someone who has paid his dues.  I don't think it's a bad thing that Eric Wood and Kyle Rudolph immediately tweeted their support for the hire, and I like the fact that he has coached TEs as well.

Both guys are getting their first opportunities at being "the man" in their respective roles and there is always some trepidation in that...time will tell if they were ready for the next step.  I don't think the Bills could have done much worse than Crossman and Castillo, however, so my thought is it will be a step forward.

Was that humorous enough for ya, sparky?

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, BillsVet said:

They've taken 2 years to remake the defense with multiple UFA signings and high draft picks. And defense is typically the easier side of the ball to get up to speed, albeit harder to maintain.

For that reason I'm not convinced that they'll get the offense in one off-season even with that cap space and the usual complement of high picks.

Particularly when UFA offers less and less skill players and this draft is thin on top offensive prospects.

And, throw in a coach who doesn't seem to embrace that games are won and lost by scoring points and having enough defense.  He seems the opposite of that.

McD has literally stated the opposite of this on many occasions.

This is also the same FO that identified players such as Foster, McKenzie and oh yea that fella by the name of Josh Allen. 

I also think this is a rather DEEP draft on offense. WR and TE have a ton of talent coming out specifically. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, CookieG said:

"You're conversating with everybody. You're not just having a one-on-one conversation with somebody. So, I think he understands that.”

"did he really say "conversating"?

Butchering the english language like that? Now I'm convinced some of the Bills FO have joined TSW in the last few years. 

11 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It will be interesting to see, but I don't know what type player Bobby is looking for to make an educated guess. Miller had shown promise at one point; Groy and Mills could get signed as backup depth. I would say Ducasse has the greatest chance of not being back since he seemed to be riding with Juan. 

I understand your point, and far be it for Beane to admit the guys he has on the roster just sucked, but if mcbeane thought the talent overachieved Juan would still be here. Between the "edge" comments and what Dawkins was saying about this year seems to point to the smoking gun. 

Maybe they’ll be back as backups, which could be why Beane didn’t want to denigrate them, but as staters they were woefully inadequate.  But unless you have the best at every position, including coach, you can always improve. 

15 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Butchering the english language like that? Now I'm convinced some of the Bills FO have joined TSW in the last few years. 

I mostly give him a pass, he spends his life with football players not English teachers. 

Its in the dictionary, albeit as a nonstandard word Germaine to some nonstandard dialects. 

My only real concern is that extra syllable is sort of a waste of his time 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

McD has literally stated the opposite of this on many occasions.

This is also the same FO that identified players such as Foster, McKenzie and oh yea that fella by the name of Josh Allen. 

I also think this is a rather DEEP draft on offense. WR and TE have a ton of talent coming out specifically. 

Actions speak louder than words.  McCoach says a lot of things, but at his heart he's a defensive guy and his UFA signings the last 2 off-season demonstrate he wanted that side of the ball fixed first.

Foster is a UDFA and McKenzie they took a late season flyer on by plucking him from a practice squad.  Neither is a significant investment and only got playing time when they realized their receivers weren't separating because each was a possession type.  And this occurred after having drafted a big armed QB. 

This is not a deep offensive draft in the first round, so the narrative should stop there.  Most mocks

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

Maybe they’ll be back as backups, which could be why Beane didn’t want to denigrate them, but as staters they were woefully inadequate.  But unless you have the best at every position, including coach, you can always improve. 

To a point, but then you bump against the cap and the decisions regarding player talent become more difficult. I would say it's more important for the coaches to get middling talent performing when (hopefully) we get to the stage where we can't keep all our talented players.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Depends what I'm overpaying for. 

If im overpaying(in a trade or FA) for a stud WR that can potentially put this team over the top I'm doing it. 

I think we have a ways to go before one player can put us over the top, but I understand the sentiment. 

45 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Actions speak louder than words.  McCoach says a lot of things, but at his heart he's a defensive guy and his UFA signings the last 2 off-season demonstrate he wanted that side of the ball fixed first.

Foster is a UDFA and McKenzie they took a late season flyer on by plucking him from a practice squad.  Neither is a significant investment and only got playing time when they realized their receivers weren't separating because each was a possession type.  And this occurred after having drafted a big armed QB. 

This is not a deep offensive draft in the first round, so the narrative should stop there.  Most mocks

Homie, there's more to a draft than 1 round. You're over here talking "mocks"? Before FA? Completely worthless. Heck, they are even worthless the day before a draft. 

I'm aware Foster was an UDFA. And I know where McKenzie came from. Thanks for,the history lesson, but,both,produced when asked and both were identified and brought on by this staff. They can evualate talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think so at all.

Sign and draft a few offensive lineman, draft a top WR and I am all for making a trade for a Julio Jones or Antonio Bryant to put this team over the top.

I hope you’re right, but I’m the cautious type. I think we need probably 3 OL starters, a decent TE, a RB and probably a DL.....PLUS a #1 WR. That’s not close enough for me to horribly overpay, but maybe they can work some magic. But I want to get as much done on the rookie QB contract as possible! 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

To a point, but then you bump against the cap and the decisions regarding player talent become more difficult. I would say it's more important for the coaches to get middling talent performing when (hopefully) we get to the stage where we can't keep all our talented players.

True but what I meant is that while Beane may be saying that the offensive line last year had talent, it could still use more talent.  Hence the reason they’re probably not going to re-sign their offensive line free agents to anything other than backup contracts.