Brandon Beane interview: Signing of Duke Williams, LeSean McCoy's O-line comments & his free-agency approach

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

If they spend 3 off-seasons rebuilding with the goal of merely making the playoffs that's a low bar. (Cue the person who tells us Buffalo made the playoffs in 2017).  

Lots of ifs and hopefully's.  

This was a long term rebuild from the beginning. If they make the playoffs next year with more young players creating a foundation of talent from drafting well, you can bet that’d be a successful year. Build more confidence and go into year four as the favorite to win the AFC east....I prefer to be optimistic. Life as pessimist must suck for those who are. I’d hate going through life as a grumpy sob haha

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane truly understands free agency and the draft as opposed to our last Gm.

“It would be like drafting a guy you have a third-round grade on in the first round out of a need or because you don't want somebody else to get him. Well, now the expectations in our building, in the locker room, the media, the fans, is, ‘Wow, this guy's a first-round pick. I'm expecting him to be like all first-rounders.’ When in reality (if he’s not), it's not his fault. He's going to have a hard time. You're setting him up to fail when you do that, and that's the thing that can happen in free agency. You pay a guy a big number, and there's going to be expectations from coaches, players, the media, fans, everybody. They're going to go, ‘Man, they paid this guy $12 million a year. He's going to be a big-time player.’ Well, not if he's really a $7 or $8 million player.”

Edited by Bill_with_it

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What is his point? 

Dont overpay because the expectations will be too high if you do? 

What a lame response.

No don’t pay someone something that isn’t worth it, dont draft a third round player in the first round.  You know kind of like Whaley did with EJ.Don’t pay a guy 12-13 mil if he’s not worth it. You know kinda like Whaley did with Dareus and Clay. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I think we had players there that have talent, we just didn't mesh.

We needed better coaching is what I see

Well, yeah..I'm not sure if people expect him to say something like, "sure, the guys I brought in weren't really very good". That would, um...reflect bad on the guy who brought them in or retained them...

I'm not sure how many OL coaches Vlad or Newhouse had in their travels, or how many Bodine had while at Cincy, or Mills had between Chi and Buffalo...but its more than just one. These guys were never very good.

He can claim its getting in sych, or some type of mesh, or w/e..if that gives him comfort.  But it doesn't solve the problem. Actually, it makes it worse.

3 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I think we had players there that have talent, we just didn't mesh.

We needed better coaching is what I see

And how would a fan know the impact of coaching on the oline? We see the results, not the cause of the results. Could be the lack of talent was the only issue. Could be a coaching problem. Could be a number of other issues. How does a fan watching the games decipher that?

2 hours ago, CookieG said:

"You're conversating with everybody. You're not just having a one-on-one conversation with somebody. So, I think he understands that.”

"did he really say "conversating"?

A word you use when trying to say you were talking to someone so as to come off as more cultured or intelligent. In reality, it does little more than make you look like an idiot who's trying too hard. If you must make yourself sound like a pompous ass, the correct term is "conversing."
Pompous Ass: "...we just sat there conversating for a while and it turns out that..."

Unimpressed Listener: "Cool story bro."

Huh?

1 minute ago, Bill_with_it said:

No don’t pay someone something that isn’t worth it, dont draft a third round player in the first round.  You know kind of like Whaley did with EJ.Don’t pay a guy 12-13 mil if he’s not worth it. You know kinda like Whaley did with Dareus and Clay. 

..somebody posted (wish I could remember who to pay kudos to) that McBeane assigns a value to a player and "that's it (paraphrasing from memory)".......I'm sure the instant rebuttal will be how he overpaid for Star, an opinion shared (respectfully) by many.....still think he is a value shopper versus a "big splash guy"............

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Thanks, I sure appreciate it. Something about my home computer just will NOT let me see Buffalo news articles no matter what I try.

It might be your ad blocker if you are running one. I have the plugin running on chrome and I had to allow the Buffalo New website to see any article at all. 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...a pimp?....now there's a seriously valuable assessment...SMH.....

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Beane looks like a pimp in that pic. If he needs to tempt free agents with something more than money, I'm good with that. 

He is not wearing a purple zoot suit like Dieon Neon Sanders so no he does not look like a pimp.

It is amazing that standards have changed so much that mean with earrings is normal and a suit is something a pimp wears.

2 hours ago, CookieG said:

I'm not sure how many OL coaches Vlad or Newhouse had in their travels, or how many Bodine had while at Cincy, or Mills had between Chi and Buffalo...but its more than just one. These guys were never very good.

Vlad was brought in by the coach who was canned.  If it he is so bad why would he recommended by the one many consider best in industry?

It cannot be both ways.

6 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

They fired the oline coach so I don't think the lines need to be read between.

And three guys who started this past season have been allowed to become UFAs. Think they'll be re-signed with the intention of them being starters again?

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, MJS said:

And how would a fan know the impact of coaching on the oline? We see the results, not the cause of the results. Could be the lack of talent was the only issue. Could be a coaching problem. Could be a number of other issues. How does a fan watching the games decipher that?

Most fans have no idea. This is why fans prefer to make player personnel THE factor. It makes playing armchair GM easier and more fun. But if it was as easy as collecting talent the Redskins & Cowboys would have ruled the league for the last 20 years. 

It's certainly an important factor, but having an offensive scheme that works, coaches who can teach it, and players who fit that scheme is often more important as overall talent.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I guess I choose my words unclearly, I meant when I read the quote it sounds like the coaching did not get the most out of the available talent. Maybe guarantees were made before the season like "I can get it done with Vlad" or whatever and it just didn't happen. I don't know what went on, but there was enough to say that castillo's efforts were no longer required for the team.

5 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I guess I choose my words unclearly, I meant when I read the quote it sounds like the coaching did not get the most out of the available talent. Maybe guarantees were made before the season like "I can get it done with Vlad" or whatever and it just didn't happen. I don't know what went on, but there was enough to say that castillo's efforts were no longer required for the team.

He was fired, so I agree with you that it appears that his coaching was not up to par. McDermott is looking for an upgrade for a reason. Same with the other coaches who were fired.

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

And three guys who started this past season are UFAs. Think they'll be re-signed?

It will be interesting to see, but I don't know what type player Bobby is looking for to make an educated guess. Miller had shown promise at one point; Groy and Mills could get signed as backup depth. I would say Ducasse has the greatest chance of not being back since he seemed to be riding with Juan. 

I understand your point, and far be it for Beane to admit the guys he has on the roster just sucked, but if mcbeane thought the talent overachieved Juan would still be here. Between the "edge" comments and what Dawkins was saying about this year seems to point to the smoking gun. 

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh