Out Of Divison Rivals

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I tend to look at rivalries in terms of the entire team. Josh Allen is the Quarterback of the team for now and the foreseeable future, but I'm not basing rivalries off one guy who may or may not be the long term answer. We all certainly hope he is, but there is no rivalry as of now. We have to win something to earn a rival.

If you mean to be their RivalI agree.  I dont view the Jets as a Rival or the Jets.  I view the Pats as a hated Rival, but from their prospective we probably arnt a Rival merly a punchline.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I tend to look at rivalries in terms of the entire team. Josh Allen is the Quarterback of the team for now and the foreseeable future, but I'm not basing rivalries off one guy who may or may not be the long term answer. We all certainly hope he is, but there is no rivalry as of now. We have to win something to earn a rival.

Lol I guess in reality Our Rivals would be anyone going for a top 10 pick in the draft.

Living about 90 min from the outskirts of Pittsburgh and roughly the same from orchard park here in Erie, Pa, makes the every 3 year game they play pretty chippy around here. 

You either love the “Stiller’s” around here or you HATE them because you have to deal with their self absorbed, holier than thou fan base. The whole lot of them act as though they as fans are gracing the nfl and the rest of the nation with their presence..... 

so losing to them consistently every 3 years for about 15 years now has got me and any other bills fans I know around here fairly cranky on the matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

At this point, the Bills have no rivals as the term "rival" is currently used. 

Not being snarky, but how is the term rival currently used in your opinion?

To me it comes down to when a non-descript game has more meaning: 

- all divisional matchups are rivalries. The great divisional rivalries include two teams that slug it out for the division over a few years (i.e - Steelers/Ravens). 

- conference matchups for two teams that slug it out for the conference over a few years (i.e - Giants or Cowboys vs. 49ers back when we couldn't seal the deal).

- regional rivalries. Probably more of a baseball thing but Jets/Giants for one and maybe 49ers/Raiders too.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

They've played two meaningful games in 20 years.

...and almost a dozen Jags fans showed up! To be fair, that’s each game, not combined. I’d hate to shortchange that little crew of diehards. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not being snarky, but how is the term rival currently used in your opinion?

To me it comes down to when a non-descript game has more meaning: 

- all divisional matchups are rivalries. The great divisional rivalries include two teams that slug it out for the division over a few years (i.e - Steelers/Ravens). 

- conference matchups for two teams that slug it out for the conference over a few years (i.e - Giants or Cowboys vs. 49ers back when we couldn't seal the deal).

- regional rivalries. Probably more of a baseball thing but Jets/Giants for one and maybe 49ers/Raiders too.

As a baseline, the opponent has to see you as a rival too. "Rivalry" conveys an antagonistic partnership, but a partnership nonetheless. No team in the NFL sees the Bills as a rival. Rather, they see the franchise as a longtime doormat and regard games against them as the ones they should probably win. When they lose to the Bills, such franchises are likely to regard it as a sign of their own weakness as a team. Cardinals-Cubs this ain't.

Frankly, Wilson made a big mistake years ago when he held up the Miami rivalry as a reason to avoid joining a great lakes/rust belt division when realignment happened. No one in Miami cares about the Bills, and the franchise doesn't see Buffalo as a rival. They hate the Jets and Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I will never be able to see enough wins against the Giants, 'Skins & Cowboys, regardless of whether or not they are "rivals" in the sense that it's an always competitive game or not. 

the Giants don't bother me as much.  I guess its watching them on TV as a Kid (beyond the Bills).  

the Skins & Cowboys however .....   

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Living in Houston, I've met a lot of Oilers fans still salty about the Comeback. Even if we ignore that they're technically two separate franchises, that's more of a one way thing, as I don't think the Bills or our fans have any reason to have animosity towards Houston.

Ironically, to add insult to injury, the very next season in 1993, the Bills beat the Oilers yet again, in an embarrassment of a game 35-7 for them. So inside of 2 years, they lost in the most excruciating fashion ever, following that up with a blowout loss in the first rematch opportunity. Oh, and the first playoff game victory Kelly ever had was also against Houston, in 1988. Must've sucked for them!

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Ironically, to add insult to injury, the very next season in 1993, the Bills beat the Oilers yet again, in an embarrassment of a game 35-7 for them. So inside of 2 years, they lost in the most excruciating fashion ever, following that up with a blowout loss in the first rematch opportunity. Oh, and the first playoff game victory Kelly ever had was also against Houston, in 1988. Must've sucked for them!

embarrassment?  No, that's allocated for the  Bills 51-3 embarrassment of the Raiders 51-3 

1991/01/20 Buffalo Bills 51 - Los Angeles Raiders 3 !! AFC CHAMPIONSHIP !!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

embarrassment?  No, that's allocated for the  Bills 51-3 embarrassment of the Raiders 51-3 

1991/01/20 Buffalo Bills 51 - Los Angeles Raiders 3 !! AFC CHAMPIONSHIP !!

I truly enjoy debating the merits of which Bills playoff victories were most embarrassing for the oppo :). I pretty much can't and won't fault your take here either.

Ah, the off-season. Time to hop in the way-back machine...  

21 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I truly enjoy debating the merits of which Bills playoff victories were most embarrassing for the oppo :). I pretty much can't and won't fault your take here either.

Ah, the off-season. Time to hop in the way-back machine...  

3rd largest margin of victory in the playoffs.   

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

3rd largest margin of victory in the playoffs.   

Great stat. I also believe that is the worst playoff loss in Raiders history still. I checked and they've had 2 regular season losses by margins of 55-0 and 52-0, I think those are the only worse games.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Any team that beat the Bills during the playoffs 

or tromped them more than once recently.  

Chargers and Ravens and Jagoffs 

ARRGH, Shady, that's what makes the 98 season playoff loss to Miami so hard.  I don't care if we ended up losing the following game (you know what I mean) , but beating the Dolphins there and you own a 3-0 advantage against them in the playoffs, and 1-0 against the Jets.

Can't help anything with the Pats as they were our very first playoff loss, but still.