Eagles officially choose Wentz over Foles

Alphadawg7

6 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

My wife thinks Brady is retiring after this season.  She noted that his wife just started doing some fashion gigs again after taking several years off.  Could be because the kids are older.  Or to replace her husbands football income when he calls it quits before the 2019 season and he becomes a 'stay at home dad'.  Perhaps, and we'll soon find out if that theory is on target. 

Yea, the Brady's will not be able to pay the mortgage unless mum goes to work.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

We'll revisit this next season when Foles is playing average ball and Wentz is yet again an MVP candidate.

Come on!  Wentz was healthy and the Eagles we done.  Then Foles steps in and goes 4-1.  He took a halftime lead against the Saints and was driving to tie or win the game when Jeffries completely whiffed on a gimme pass to end the game.

2017 wasn't 2018.  Wentz has one single season completed in 3 and Foles is 6-2 in the regular season playing for Wentz and he won the SB for them.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on!  Wentz was healthy and the Eagles we done.  Then Foles steps in and goes 4-1.  He took a halftime lead against the Saints and was driving to tie or win the game when Jeffries completely whiffed on a gimme pass to end the game.

2017 wasn't 2018.  Wentz has one single season completed in 3 and Foles is 6-2 in the regular season playing for Wentz and he won the SB for them.  

If you want to trade away a 3rd year quarterback with 70 TD's to 28 picks for a guy who's had long stretches of mediocrity, more power to you.

Not enough of a sample size in Philly. I'm taking nothing away from BDN and his freakish run, but I'm sticking with Wentz without hesitation.

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 hours ago, Realist said:

The pressure will be on Wentz now. First, he needs to stay healthy, then he really needs to get them to the playoffs next year after what Foles has done. If they don't make the playoffs or Wentz is out for any period of time, the Philly press is going to be relentless on if they kept the right QB.

Agreed, the pressure will be on him. I think it always has been, though. He's their franchise guy, and has been since they drafted him.

The injury thing is problematic, and he has to be a bit more Foles-ish in terms of playing within the game plan and the route designs and get balls coming out quicker.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

If you want to trade away a 3rd year quarterback with 70 TD's to 28 picks for a guy who's had long stretches of mediocrity, more power to you.

Not enough of a sample size in Philly. I'm taking nothing away from BDN and his freakish run, but I'm sticking with Wentz without hesitation.

I'm not disagreeing with you there.  But the facts are what they are.  The Eagles were moribund until Foles stepped in.

Wentz has to demonstrate that he's not a large China doll

8 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Lots of guys come into the league with all the talent in the world.  The difference is what happens between the ears.  Foles has proven he can do it.  I'm not sure Wentz has.  I think this is a way bigger risk than people are acknowledging.  

Plus, what are you really looking for when searching for a QB?  You are looking for a guy that can you to and win a SB.  Nick Foles has done that. 

Foles put up 30 points total in 120 mins of playoff football this year. I think he’s proven to be very streaky and a bit limited. 

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm not disagreeing with you there.  But the facts are what they are.  The Eagles were moribund until Foles stepped in.

Wentz has to demonstrate that he's not a large China doll

I have some connections to the Philly area so I watch quite a bit of the Eagles for some odd reason. He was not healthy in 2018 IMO. Didn't have the same velocity on his ball or mobility. I believe he'll be fully recovered next season, but time will tell.

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Dudes been around for how many years? It’s not like he is some rookie qb. 

Yeah, he's been around a long time and has proved himself an excellent backup, maybe the best in the league.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's funny.  Wentz was 5-6 and the Eagles were dead in the water.  Foles comes in and goes 4-1 and gets them to the playoff, winning a playoff game and nearly getting them to the NFCC game.  Again.

Not so funny. He said Foles had gotten the team to the Super Bowl and won it. I pointed out that he hadn't gotten them there by any means that year. And this year they didn't win it. So he didn't get them to and win a Super Bowl either year. Not so funny at all.

He "nearly" got them to the NFCC game, right? Does that mean he got them there? Or does it mean he didn't get them there.

Football's a team game. And it was a team effort that got them there, not just Foles. Same with Wentz, but as the replies here make clear, it's pretty obvious which of the two nearly everyone prefers.

But again, Foles had an advantage both years coming in late in the year when teams didn't have video on how he looked and what his tendencies were. That's a big advantage, which he did a great job of using. 

He's shown himself a terrific backup. I like the guy and hope he proves himself a franchise guy. But I doubt he will.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

People need to understand Foles contract.

Even if the Eagles pick up his option (which is due 1 week after the Super Bowl) Foles can turn down the option and become a FA.

Here are the details:

Contract Notes:

• $7M fully guaranteed at signing (signing bonus+ 2017 salary + 2018 roster bonus)
  • 2018 Roster Bonus: $3M (due 3/18)
  • 2018 : $2M signing bonus + $7M of incentives based on starting, playoffs , & Pro Bowl
  • 2018 Per Game Played (33% snaps): $250,000, increases to $500,000 with a game win
  • 2018 Per Playoff Game Played (33% snaps): $500,000, increases to $1M with a playoff win
  • Eagles must exercise 2019 option 1 week after the Super Bowl
  • Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/18/2019
  • 2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year

if foles opts out.... philly could use franchise tag....just sayin

20 mil for a starter QB and 8 mil for a backup QB isn't crazy (who cares its flipped) ..….wouldn't even put them in the top 5 for % of salary cap

i'd keep foles for 1 more year....or trade him for value......just not letting him walk

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

if foles opts out.... philly could use franchise tag....just sayin

20 mil for a starter QB and 8 mil for a backup QB isn't crazy (who cares its flipped) ..….wouldn't even put them in the top 5 for % of salary cap

i'd keep foles for 1 more year....or trade him for value......just not letting him walk

It's a major advantage to have a franchise QB on a rookie contract, as you can spend the money to surround him with good players.

Doing this would eliminate their advantage at having their franchise guy cheap, as all the savings would be soaked up by Foles. Yeah, they wouldn't be in the top five guys at QB salary. But they also wouldn't be in the lowest 20 or so, which is where you ideally are if you have a young franchise guy on a rookie contract.

And Foles would be much less tradeable with probably a $22 million dollar hit for the team that picked him up. 

It's possible but I'm not sure it's very likely.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Please. Foles didn't get them to that Super Bowl. Wentz did the large majority of the QBing that season. When Foles QB'd that team went 2-1 before the playoffs, while under Wentz they went 11-2. And that 2-1 was against the 3-13 Giants, the 6-10 Raiders and a loss with zero points scored against the 9-7 Cowboys. Foles played decently and well in the playoffs, but he didn't get them that championship. He took the baton and ran pretty well the last few miles of the marathon.

They had home field advantage throughout the playoffs and that was huge.

Foles has been in a great situation, because each year he's come in late and teams don't have a ton of video on him. Over a whole season, Foles can be figured out.

I hope you're right that Foles can be a franchise guy but you have to prove that over more than a few games a season.

Obviously you didn't watch wentz this year.

• Like (+1) 1

i'm operating from the position that backup QB is one of the 10 most important positions on the team. would philly have won the super bowl without foles ? (unlikely).

to me, these guys are equal on talent. i'm trying to keep both.

age wise, foles (29)  is only 3 years older than wentz (26)…..both can play another 5 years.

wentz will want to break the bank next year ….likely resulting in philly using the franchise tag on him. wentz will actually cost more going forward in 2020.

foles long term deal could be 5yr/$100 mil.  wentz could be 5yr/$150.....a big savings with foles.

wentz could bring back a bounty of draft choices in a trade....at least 2 first rounders.

wentz missing games due to injury is a red flag.

foles performing under playoff pressure is a big plus. wentz playoff is an unknown.

this is a great debate

18 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I agree, this kind of pickup would have BB written all over it.  He wouldn't be as successful as Brady but look at what he did with Cassel.

I'm OK with any team not in the AFC East ... please ... I want to see the Pats without a legit QB for a while