Eagles officially choose Wentz over Foles

Alphadawg7

54 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I agree, this kind of pickup would have BB written all over it.  He wouldn't be as successful as Brady but look at what he did with Cassel.

Good thing brady won’t retire for another 5 years! By that time father of time would’ve caught foles.

52 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think this is a mistake.  They are in cap hell and could get a Kings ransom for Wentz. Those picks could fill holes created by cuts or guys they can’t sign in FA.  Foles has at least 6 years left in him. 

I like Wentz a lot, but Foles works for them and stays healthy. 

I agree. In their situation, Foles makes a whole lot of sense. The sheer amount of picks you'd get for Wentz would be amazing. It wouldn't be a popular move though in Philly I'd imagine. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I think this is a mistake.  They are in cap hell and could get a Kings ransom for Wentz. Those picks could fill holes created by cuts or guys they can’t sign in FA.  Foles has at least 6 years left in him. 

I like Wentz a lot, but Foles works for them and stays healthy. 

People need to understand Foles contract.

Even if the Eagles pick up his option (which is due 1 week after the Super Bowl) Foles can turn down the option and become a FA.

Here are the details:

Contract Notes:

• $7M fully guaranteed at signing (signing bonus+ 2017 salary + 2018 roster bonus)
  • 2018 Roster Bonus: $3M (due 3/18)
  • 2018 : $2M signing bonus + $7M of incentives based on starting, playoffs , & Pro Bowl
  • 2018 Per Game Played (33% snaps): $250,000, increases to $500,000 with a game win
  • 2018 Per Playoff Game Played (33% snaps): $500,000, increases to $1M with a playoff win
  • Eagles must exercise 2019 option 1 week after the Super Bowl
  • Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/18/2019
  • 2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

It's a bad move. Foles sees the field better. Has a quicker release and throws a catchable ball. Wentz has a better are and more talent but he's not a better player IMO.

I hope not. I could see some Bills franchise ending crap end up like Brady wins SB #6 and retires and Belichick signs Foles who plays the same style as Brady, though not as good but goes on to win the division for 10 more years.

Foles is hot and cold- more often cold. Wentz has been playing with a broken back. Wentz should be the starter next season, Foles will wind up a second stringer somewhere. 

Man, lot of questions on Wentz's ability. Maybe people forget that the kid was well on his way to winning league MVP in 2017 before he got hurt. Lot of Eagles fans feel like he rushed himself back from injury and played at much less than 100% for 2018 and it cost him as he got injured again.

Wentz is definitely the better all-around athlete. I also think he's ahead of Foles in terms of reading defenses and checking in and out of the right plays. While Foles does see the field pretty well and he can get the ball out quick, a lot of the stuff they call for Foles involves pre-determined and/or half-field reads. He's limited in the sense that once defenses figure out to stop him, his coaches don't really have a whole lot of flexibility in changing the play-calls and asking Foles to do things outside his comfort zone. Foles has a good skill set but he's reached his peak. It's why he's never been able to completely hold down a full-time starting gig. Wentz is able to adjust a lot better than Foles. 

Wentz should be 100% next year and will probably make Philly fans forget about Foles.

Edited by blacklabel

43 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Good thing brady won’t retire for another 5 years! By that time father of time would’ve caught foles.

My wife thinks Brady is retiring after this season.  She noted that his wife just started doing some fashion gigs again after taking several years off.  Could be because the kids are older.  Or to replace her husbands football income when he calls it quits before the 2019 season and he becomes a 'stay at home dad'.  Perhaps, and we'll soon find out if that theory is on target. 

How quickly we forget that Carson Wentz was the frontrunner for the MVP in 2017 prior to the injury and the Eagles were 11-2.

Foles looked like Foles to start 2018 and put up 14 and 15 points respectively in the playoffs. Hell of a run by BDN in 2017, but glad we won't be the team overpaying for his services.

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

It's a bad move. Foles sees the field better. Has a quicker release and throws a catchable ball. Wentz has a better are and more talent but he's not a better player IMO.

I hope not. I could see some Bills franchise ending crap end up like Brady wins SB #6 and retires and Belichick signs Foles who plays the same style as Brady, though not as good but goes on to win the division for 10 more years.

Foles is similar to Flacco...average for long stretches and then seems to get "hot" when the stakes are the highest.  Foles is maddeningly inconsistent and looks downright bad too often.

It would be interesting to find all the Foles posts after his release from the Rams.  I am sure they would be calling him a bust - most likely by some of the same folks who think he should be chosen over Wentz.

IMO Foles is a very good, not great QB.  Wentz is a very good QB who could be great.  Easy choice.

22 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

My wife thinks Brady is retiring after this season.  She noted that his wife just started doing some fashion gigs again after taking several years off.  Could be because the kids are older.  Or to replace her husbands football income when he calls it quits before the 2019 season and he becomes a 'stay at home dad'.  Perhaps, and we'll soon find out if that theory is on target. 

I don’t think they need the money but I like the idea. In all honesty if something like foles to NE did happen I hope the eagles are smart enough to not take a 7th round conditional pick in the 2048 nfl draft like they always seem to get away with.

2 hours ago, Chicharito said:

I don’t think they need the money but I like the idea. In all honesty if something like foles to NE did happen I hope the eagles are smart enough to not take a 7th round conditional pick in the 2048 nfl draft like they always seem to get away with.

Im not sure the Eagles can afford to retain him and trade him.  I have a feeling Foles is gonna enter free agency, so Pats may be able to sign him without giving up anything.  However I suspect a team like Jax would our bid them if he is a FA.