Eagles officially choose Wentz over Foles

Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Should be no surprise.  They’ll trade Foles for a good pick.  This is a great problem to have 

You really think the Eagles will pick up his 20mill option just for the chance of a trade? Eagles won't get Squat for Foles. He is as good as a free agent at this point.

• Like (+1) 5

It's a bad move. Foles sees the field better. Has a quicker release and throws a catchable ball. Wentz has a better are and more talent but he's not a better player IMO.

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

You really think the Eagles will pick up his 20mill option just for the chance of a trade? Eagles won't get Squat for Foles. He is as good as a free agent at this point.

I hope not. I could see some Bills franchise ending crap end up like Brady wins SB #6 and retires and Belichick signs Foles who plays the same style as Brady, though not as good but goes on to win the division for 10 more years.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I hope not. I could see some Bills franchise ending crap end up like Brady wins SB #6 and retires and Belichick signs Foles who plays the same style as Brady, though not as good but goes on to win the division for 10 more years.

I agree, this kind of pickup would have BB written all over it.  He wouldn't be as successful as Brady but look at what he did with Cassel.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

It's a bad move. Foles sees the field better. Has a quicker release and throws a catchable ball. Wentz has a better are and more talent but he's not a better player IMO.

Lots of guys come into the league with all the talent in the world.  The difference is what happens between the ears.  Foles has proven he can do it.  I'm not sure Wentz has.  I think this is a way bigger risk than people are acknowledging.  

Plus, what are you really looking for when searching for a QB?  You are looking for a guy that can you to and win a SB.  Nick Foles has done that. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Lots of guys come into the league with all the talent in the world.  The difference is what happens between the ears.  Foles has proven he can do it.  I'm not sure Wentz has.  I think this is a way bigger risk than people are acknowledging.  

Plus, what are you really looking for when searching for a QB?  You are looking for a guy that can you to and win a SB.  Nick Foles has done that. 

I agree. People are so into Wentz's arm but isn't having a ball that catchable more important? Foles throws an easy ball to catch and he throws it to everyone on the field. Wentz locks in on the TE and his #1 receiver too often.

I honestly wonder if They didn’t invest so much into Wentz, what they would do?  

And this would a pick up I would make if I was Miami or a team like that?  See if Foles is legit anywhere besides Philly.  If not, you have a veteran mentor for a rookie the following year.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is a mistake.  They are in cap hell and could get a Kings ransom for Wentz. Those picks could fill holes created by cuts or guys they can’t sign in FA.  Foles has at least 6 years left in him. 

I like Wentz a lot, but Foles works for them and stays healthy. 

• Like (+1) 8

5 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

If you throw out his rookie season.  Wentz has an average QB rating over 100 for the past two seasons.   Those are elite stats.

Foles had one excellent season in 2013.   Rest of the time he has been pretty pedestrian.   In these past playoffs , despite some folks thinking that Foles had a magical run,   his QB rating was 77 and 61 respectively.   He didn't play  well at all with the exception of that 1st quarter at NO.     So not sure how Foles is the better player and the better long term choice?

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think this is a mistake.  They are in cap hell and could get a Kings ransom for Wentz. Those picks could fill holes created by cuts or guys they can’t sign in FA.  Foles has at least 6 years left in him. 

I like Wentz a lot, but Foles works for them and stays healthy. 

This is a good point.  Would someone like Gruden trade a bunch of firsts for Wentz?  I could see that.

35 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

He has a 2 mil buyout on that option which would force them to franchise... at closer to 30 mil.  

Considering he gets more than 20mil guaranteed wherever he signs - Alex Smith got 4 years 94 million with 55 mil guaranteed and 71 mil guaranteed for injury.  I'd think Foles would probably get something similar 1 year later.  Maybe slightly less as Smith is a few years older, but i would think the 50 guaranteed would be a starting point for his agent.

Certainly has been interesting the past couple of years. I'd probably go with Wentz too. He has played at a very high level before, and I bet he can and will do that again. Just has to get healthy.

18 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

If you throw out his rookie season.  Wentz has an average QB rating over 100 for the past two seasons.   Those are elite stats.

Foles had one excellent season in 2013.   Rest of the time he has been pretty pedestrian.   In these past playoffs , despite some folks thinking that Foles had a magical run,   his QB rating was 77 and 61 respectively.   He didn't play  well at all with the exception of that 1st quarter at NO.     So not sure how Foles is the better player and the better long term choice?

I agree Wentz is a better stats player.

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I agree Wentz is a better stats player.

Ahh.  so based on the eye test,  Foles is the better player...

This is actually an interesting idea.   Should football teams look at having an "Eye Test"  position so that they can find those gems that don't look good based on objective criteria but may actually contribute to team's success?