Startling Star statistic

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Wait...are the Bills up against the cap?     So they can't sign anybody?     And in cap jail for the next few years?   Whoa.     

I'm so done with this FO....

FIRE THEM ALL!!!

Good to see everything’s back to normal around here...

On 1/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

Lorax thinks Star is worth every bit of his contract since his (Star) play helps others make plays.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/01/bills-lorenzo-alexander-says-star-lotulelei-earned-every-bit-of-big-contract.html

"But Buffalo linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, who called Lotulelei “disruptive,” said that the former Panthers tackle was well worth it and is going to be a staple on the team for years to come.

“Obviously he (doesn’t play) a sexy position, but he allows other people around him to make plays,” Alexander said. “I’ve definitely been able to have a pretty good year this year. A lot of it is contributed to what he’s been able to do as far as keeping guys off me, allowing me to run free.

“In the pass rush, people can’t step up. On first or second down I know a couple of guys that have gotten sacks throughout the year just because Star has gotten that great push. He’s earned every bit of what he’s got with that five-year deal.” "

Leslie Frazier's take on Star:

“He demands a double team which allows our linebackers to run free and make some of the tackles that people might think the nose tackle should be making,” Frazier said. “That has been a plus for us, helping our linebackers to improve. But also to help our run defense. He’s done a good job of commanding attention from their interior, their center and their guards. It’s hard to block him one-one-one and that’s what we needed and he’s given us that.”

C’mon don’t let people who have facts and real insight come in and mess up a perfectly good set of opinions thrown out on a message board.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:23 AM, ******* said:

Currently DT Star Lotulelei will take up a team-high 5.8% of the #Bills salary cap in 2019 after signing a five-year, $50 million deal with Buffalo last offseason. Despite this, he only played in 46.9% of defensive snaps last season & he played in all 16 games

While true, I think this needs some context.  It's really not startling.

McDermott loves him his DL rotation.  47% is the 2nd highest snap count for the DTs. 
The only DT with a higher snap count was KW, 65% and I'm sure Coach would have loved to be able to rotate him more

That's also totally in line with Lotulelei's snap count when McDermott was his DC with the Panthers - 46% in 2014, 48% in 2015 when the Panthers had the #1 D in the league.  He had a higher snap count (and the Panthers a worse D) in 2016, but I think that represented McDermott's need, not his preference for Star.

So it may startle you, but it really shouldn't startle Beane who surely knew how McDermott used Star in Carolina and  talked to McDermott about how he planned to use him here before crafting his offer.

Edit: let me provide what I ask for, linkies

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Choose "All" under week and "DL" under position, but you need to know who are the DT and who are the DE to interpret.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

C’mon don’t let people who have facts and real insight come in and mess up a perfectly good set of opinions thrown out on a message board.

Sorry, sorry, posted before I saw this

Can I add that the only reason 5.8% is a team-high is because Beane shed higher contract players and ate their cap penalties last year?  On most teams, 5.8% of the cap might only be top-5 or top-10.  Star would only be the 6th highest player on the Chargers or Eagles, 6th on the Jets etc etc.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, todzilla said:

Why?  Are we up against the cap?  He serves a purpose, and we have the money. And we will have plenty next year. He’ll be good with Oliver too. 

No, quite the opposite. I just don't think he is worth the money, and his play will likely continue to decline while we throw millions at him.

I think playstyle and personality wise, Lotulelei and Oliver will not mesh well. He's essentially the opposite of Kyle Williams.

Also, I think keeping him around sends a bad message to our new rookie 1st round draft pick that you can play mediocre, yet as long as you're a 1st round player organizations will pay you top dollar.

1 minute ago, c-troop said:

No, quite the opposite. I just don't think he is worth the money, and his play will likely continue to decline while we throw millions at him.

And yet, he has exactly the same snap count that he had on the Panthers top SB-contending D in 2015. 

Perhaps that snap count is not a sign of declining play.

Perhaps you could defend your viewpoint that Star's play is mediocre with something besides his snap count?

Or perhaps not.  Please see Happy Gilmore's post above quoting Zo and Frazier on Lotulelei's contributions to the line.  Perhaps he is doing what is asked, and doing it well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, ******* said:

Currently DT Star Lotulelei will take up a team-high 5.8% of the #Bills salary cap in 2019 after signing a five-year, $50 million deal with Buffalo last offseason. Despite this, he only played in 46.9% of defensive snaps last season & he played in all 16 games

I missed this thread back in Jan.. I'm not just startled, I'm gobsmacked. I guess I'll need to take to my fainting couch any moment now. Maybe the pitchfork brigade can bring up this appalling matter with Beane when they show up at OBD to express their outrage over the Singletary pick

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And yet, he has exactly the same snap count that he had on the Panthers top SB-contending D in 2015. 

Perhaps that snap count is not a sign of declining play.

Perhaps you could defend your viewpoint that Star's play is mediocre with something besides his snap count?

Or perhaps not.  Please see Happy Gilmore's post above quoting Zo and Frazier on Lotulelei's contributions to the line.  Perhaps he is doing what is asked, and doing it well.

Yeah maybe, and perhaps that's why WalterFootball had him ranked as a 2-star free agent in 2018.

I just think we could do better for the money we are spending.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018DT.php

Star Lotulelei, DT, Panthers. Age: 28. star.gifstar.gif 
Signed with Bills (5 years) 

Star Lotulelei was a first-round pick in 2013, but never lived up to that billing. He has just been a below-average player for most of his career, but has played well enough at times to warrant a two-star rating. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/star-lotulelei/7795

And PFF also has him ranked as an incredibly average big man, tagging him with a 59.9 rating 

Like you said though, perhaps he is doing what is asked and doing it well.

Edited by c-troop

and yo, the bills were one of the worst teams defending the run last year, so I don't really care what LoAx says about him. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/opp.htm

We allowed 17 rushing TD's and allowed a mediocre 1839 rush yards.

We also allowed 111 rushing first downs (lack of urgency) and apparently, teams loved running against us. (9th most rushed on team last year.)

The hyperlinks in my previous post are not able to be clicked anymore. Dunno why.

Absence of Kyle Williams is one thing, yet when you look at Stars production you can't say his lack of contributions arent partly why.

Nobody likes to pay the guy who does not put up sext stats.

Everything is peachy with Star, DT snaps, and our salary cap. 

3 minutes ago, c-troop said:

and yo, the bills were one of the worst teams defending the run last year, so I don't really care what LoAx says about him. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/opp.htm

We allowed 17 rushing TD's and allowed a mediocre 1839 rush yards.

We also allowed 111 rushing first downs (lack of urgency) and apparently, teams loved running against us. (9th most rushed on team last year.)

The hyperlinks in my previous post are not able to be clicked anymore. Dunno why.

Absence of Kyle Williams is one thing, yet when you look at Stars production you can't say his lack of contributions arent partly why.

teams ran on us more because our pass defense was number 1.

Star is a good asset to have and will come off the books just in time for us to extend or resign Harrison and Oliver

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

True and False.

Our pass defence was number 1 defending yardage, not TD's, we didn't have the most INT's either. 

There is a definite correlation with defending the pass and having the other team run on you more, 

yet Minnesota allowed less TD's in both departments and so did Jacksonville and they were 2-3 behind us in pass yardage allowed.

Is that just bad luck?

15 minutes ago, c-troop said:

True and False.

Our pass defence was number 1 defending yardage, not TD's, we didn't have the most INT's either. 

There is a definite correlation with defending the pass and having the other team run on you more, 

yet Minnesota allowed less TD's in both departments and so did Jacksonville and they were 2-3 behind us in pass yardage allowed.

Is that just bad luck?

Just a young team learning to play together. How much can we blame on Kyle losing a step, Rookie Harrison and Edmunds learning the ropes

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ddaryl said:

Just a young team learning to play together. How much can we blame on Kyle losing a step, Rookie Harrison and Edmunds learning the ropes

That's a good point, I didn't think about it like that. Yeah ok, I guess we'll see how the new guy in the middle and star mesh and hope we can continue to build on last years success. 

Just now, c-troop said:

That's a good point, I didn't think about it like that. Yeah ok, I guess we'll see how the new guy in the middle and star mesh and hope we can continue to build on last years success. 

I always enjoyed the big body that just absorbs blockers while guys like Oliver and Harrison penetrate and disrupt and LB"s like Edmunds get room to work. Yeah the money looks bad but IMO there is a cascading domino effect that is hard to measure unless you watch ever ounce of tape and know how to decipher it

then when that day comes its like money in the bank Star comes off the books and that helps us sign future studs when there rookie deals are coming to an end

33 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Star is a good asset to have and will come off the books just in time for us to extend or resign Harrison and Oliver

We were also behind a fair bit with our poor offense. Which helps the pass defense numbers and hurts the run defense stats, as teams were often looking to run out the clock in the 2nd half. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

the pats ran 42 times and 47 times against us. Smartest coach in the game attacked that flaw and smoked us.  

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

I always enjoyed the big body that just absorbs blockers while guys like Oliver and Harrison penetrate and disrupt and LB"s like Edmunds get room to work. Yeah the money looks bad but IMO there is a cascading domino effect that is hard to measure unless you watch ever ounce of tape and know how to decipher it

then when that day comes its like money in the bank Star comes off the books and that helps us sign future studs when there rookie deals are coming to an end

I agree, he's a contributing place holder. I think Star still has juice left in the tank, I'm just concerned about why so many analysts think poorly of him.

Yet he is massive and should continue to demand double teams, so I guess there is no need to worry.

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

the pats ran 42 times and 47 times against us. Smartest coach in the game attacked that flaw and smoked us.  

Pretty sure that had something to do with the gameplan being focused around stopping Brady (which we actually did in one of those games). 

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Are you sure

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030789&wsVar=us~nfl~gamepackage,desktop,en

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030892

they ran 47 times the 2nd game for 273 yds game but only 25 the 1st game for about 76 yds. 

Edited by ddaryl